News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: "Hero Mode" for Zelda: Link's Awakening DX  (Read 2539 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: "Hero Mode" for Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
« on: June 11, 2016, 01:49:18 pm »

Update By: the_icepenguin

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX was released for Gameboy Color in 1998.  It is an enhanced version of the original Link's Awakening released for Gameboy in 1993.  During this generation, the "Hero Mode" feature was not yet officially created by Nintendo.

Hero Mode in the Zelda series usually means increased difficulty.  For example, recovery hearts will not drop from enemies after killing them, nor by cutting all that lush green grass.  Fairies that normally restore a large portion of the player's health no longer appear, as well.  With increased damage (up to x4) from enemies, this leaves the player with great challenges if they want to beat the game without dying.

This hack was going to be released alongside IcePenguin's upcoming "Nightmares of Koholint Island" hack, but the decision was made to release it separately since the changes are plentiful, and it definitely offers enough to make the experience new and different.  In addition to having an increased difficulty, some new content has been added.  There are many new secret treasures to find, new bonus areas to explore, and even a powerful new sword!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: "Hero Mode" for Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 04:54:35 pm »
This sounds both hard as hell and quite interesting. I'll give 'er a go in the near future!

Kind of surprised I'm the first responder to this.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!