News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)  (Read 75793 times)

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Re: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2019, 12:55:40 am »
Hey IcePenguin. Strange and off topic question but i've been thinking about this for awhile and you're the only one working on an indepth LA hack atm and pulling no stops working with ShadowOne333 of AoL. Could the side view sections of Link's Awakening be elaborated upon and used for say, most of the games for something of an Adventure of Link remake? Personally i'm working on a top down Action Adventure remake of AoL and am about half done with Western Hyrule but as far as side view goes, LA had a pretty nice set up, it was just very constrained to certain sections and small rooms.

To back on topic, as i'm sure you know Link's Awakening had a bunch of cut content - https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Link%27s_Awakening
Do you think any of the cut music will make it into your games. The remix of the intro music might make a good intro jingle as might the item acquisition fanfare. Might be worth making use of some of that chest data in rooms with no chests also if you're keeping aspects of the original game too. That way, even though you'd be adding things, they were already in the game once and were cut, or still are and unused, or in the case of the intro remix, require a certain name so many people didn't see/hear them.

I had another question I really wanted to ask but I forgot. Oh well, next time XD

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 29, 2019, 07:49:01 am »
Hey IcePenguin. Strange and off topic question but i've been thinking about this for awhile and you're the only one working on an indepth LA hack atm and pulling no stops working with ShadowOne333 of AoL. Could the side view sections of Link's Awakening be elaborated upon and used for say, most of the games for something of an Adventure of Link remake? Personally i'm working on a top down Action Adventure remake of AoL and am about half done with Western Hyrule but as far as side view goes, LA had a pretty nice set up, it was just very constrained to certain sections and small rooms.

To back on topic, as i'm sure you know Link's Awakening had a bunch of cut content - https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Link%27s_Awakening
Do you think any of the cut music will make it into your games. The remix of the intro music might make a good intro jingle as might the item acquisition fanfare. Might be worth making use of some of that chest data in rooms with no chests also if you're keeping aspects of the original game too. That way, even though you'd be adding things, they were already in the game once and were cut, or still are and unused, or in the case of the intro remix, require a certain name so many people didn't see/hear them.

I had another question I really wanted to ask but I forgot. Oh well, next time XD

Good question!  That's something I've always thought about, as well, since Zelda II is one of my favorite games.  The side view areas in LA seem like they would be great for something like a Zelda II experience, but it would be a huge task to accomplish it well.  The side areas and top down areas are like two completely different engines.  Objects in one don't exist in the other, and don't have any functionality besides basic collision.  Things like locked doors would need to have new code.  Many things would need to be re-coded to work with the side view physics, as well.  (all objects, enemies, items, etc.)  I also feel that Link would need an overhaul since his side view movement isn't really that great compared to a real side scrolling game.  It's possible for sure, though!

As for using cut content, I don't think I will use any of it.  Most of everything has been changed, and there is even a new remixed song for the intro scene.  At some point there will be new music, as well.  (if everything goes well!)  I did utilize the unused dungeon floor data, though.  I was quite surprised to find that when hacking the game and seeing it displayed behind the actual dungeon map.  Honestly, though, dungeons floors don't really make sense with the default LA dungeon system, since it's technically just one floor per dungeon.

All that unused stuff is super interesting, so thanks for the link!  :)

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2019, 11:08:11 pm »
Strange and off topic question but i've been thinking about this for awhile and you're the only one working on an in-depth LA hack atm and pulling no stops working with ShadowOne333 of AoL. Could the side view sections of Link's Awakening be elaborated upon and used for say, most of the games for something of an Adventure of Link remake?
Good question!  That's something I've always thought about, as well, since Zelda II is one of my favorite games.  The side view areas in LA seem like they would be great for something like a Zelda II experience, but it would be a huge task to accomplish it well.  The side areas and top down areas are like two completely different engines.  Objects in one don't exist in the other, and don't have any functionality besides basic collision.  Things like locked doors would need to have new code.  Many things would need to be re-coded to work with the side view physics, as well.  (all objects, enemies, items, etc.)  I also feel that Link would need an overhaul since his side view movement isn't really that great compared to a real side scrolling game.  It's possible for sure, though!
I've actually always wanted to see a remake of Zelda2 in the top-down view. The Link's Awakening engine seems like it would be a fun way to do that. Just a thought.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

mdtauk

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 01, 2019, 05:08:16 am »
I've actually always wanted to see a remake of Zelda2 in the top-down view. The Link's Awakening engine seems like it would be a fun way to do that. Just a thought.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.
Me too!!!

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #204 on: April 01, 2019, 02:45:11 pm »
I PMed Nightcrawler to see if posting a non-romhack in Personal Projects was allowed  :P

Spoiler:
Had to post in the gaming forum but here is the link - https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=28246.0
You've actually become a really big inspiration IcePenguin as has ShadowOne33 and your work together on Z2Redux
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:13:45 pm by Shade Aurion »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2019, 03:46:41 am »
I PMed Nightcrawler to see if posting a non-romhack in Personal Projects was allowed  :P
:thumbsup:

Exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2019, 05:06:19 am »
Hey IcePenguin,

are there any news on this outstanding project? Been nearly half a year since we last heard from you. :o

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2019, 03:47:10 am »
Hey IcePenguin,

are there any news on this outstanding project? Been nearly half a year since we last heard from you. :o
No worries, he's alive. Likely just got busy with life. He's been on the site since 2006, he'll be around.

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2019, 04:03:53 pm »
any place we could download the current version?

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 29, 2019, 12:13:41 am »
Hey IcePenguin,

I still work on this project from time to time.  It's slow going at the moment, but I'll finish it eventually.  I am determined to finish it!  A lot happened over the summer, and I have been quite busy. :'(  As lexluthermiester said, I'll be around.  ;)

any place we could download the current version?

There isn't.  I haven't uploaded any version of it, and am planning to fully complete it before releasing it.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2019, 11:04:06 pm »
I still work on this project from time to time.  It's slow going at the moment, but I'll finish it eventually.  I am determined to finish it! 
Cool!  :thumbsup:
A lot happened over the summer, and I have been quite busy. :'(
Hopefully nothing unpleasant.  :beer:

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2019, 01:10:29 am »
Mostly unpleasant, unfortunately.  Ha ha.  No worries, though.  Here's some more screenshots.  Thought I'd show some new areas.  :)

Hollow Tree:

Cemetery:

Sage's Tomb:

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 03, 2019, 02:24:27 am »
Mostly unpleasant, unfortunately.  Ha ha.  No worries, though.
Sorry to hear that. My life this year has had some unpleasantness as well, you're not alone.   :banghead:

Here's some more screenshots.  Thought I'd show some new areas.  :)

Hollow Tree:

Cemetery:

Sage's Tomb:

Nice!  :woot!:

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 03, 2019, 09:57:38 am »
Increased the rupee counter to 4 digits!  Maximum rupees will be 5000. 

Spoiler:

Also, I could use some feedback on these new path tiles.  I'm considering changing them to be more tile/brick-like, instead of a "dirt" path.  Gonna experiment with some different styles.  What do you think?

Spoiler:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:16:24 am by IcePenguin »

Dreamwhale

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2019, 04:23:08 pm »
Those screenshots look great!

Regarding the path tiles, those also look good on their own, but I think they make foreground and background objects a bit hard to distinguish. Making them "lighter" (no blacks, brighter colors) and maybe less detailed might help. I get why you'd want to try something fresh, but if it doesn't work out in the end I'd also be fine with the original tiles.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 03, 2019, 06:04:04 pm »
Those screenshots look great!

Regarding the path tiles, those also look good on their own, but I think they make foreground and background objects a bit hard to distinguish. Making them "lighter" (no blacks, brighter colors) and maybe less detailed might help. I get why you'd want to try something fresh, but if it doesn't work out in the end I'd also be fine with the original tiles.

Thanks for the feedback, Dreamwhale!  I've been trying various styles, some while using your suggestions.  This one doesn't use black, but it is slightly more detailed than the first example.

Spoiler:

I added in an extra tile to give it a more cobblestone look.  I'll try a more simple design next.  As you said, if in the end it doesn't work out, I'll just stick to using the original dirt path.  However, I'm not ready to give up on having a nice new path!  :P  This won't be a complete gfx overhaul, just something to give Marin's adventure a bit more variety.

Dreamwhale

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2019, 09:03:15 am »
You're doing a really good job, especially given the limited resolution and color palette of the system, which I would imagine to be quite challenging to deal with. I certainly appreciate the look you're going for. It gives me "Mediterranean countryside" vibes, ideal for an island setting. :) (I did not mean to discourage you before)

And I slightly prefer the second version of the tiles. It's probably still a bit too detailed and the contrast between the stoneplates and the beige ground itself seems a tad too high - the cracks between the tiles do stand out in both versions. Maybe larger and/or lesser stonetiles might be the way to go?

Looking forward to you're next variant.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:11:24 am by Dreamwhale »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2019, 05:48:02 am »
Thanks for the feedback, Dreamwhale!  I've been trying various styles, some while using your suggestions.  This one doesn't use black, but it is slightly more detailed than the first example.

I added in an extra tile to give it a more cobblestone look.  I'll try a more simple design next.  As you said, if in the end it doesn't work out, I'll just stick to using the original dirt path.  However, I'm not ready to give up on having a nice new path!  :P  This won't be a complete gfx overhaul, just something to give Marin's adventure a bit more variety.
I like this one. Fits into the game environment better than the brown.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2019, 11:59:44 pm »
Taking a break from the path.  :P  Added some gels to the inventory screen.

Spoiler:

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 12, 2019, 08:39:34 am »
Taking a break from the path.  :P  Added some gels to the inventory screen.

Gels? Seems odd. That suggests you're adding something fun to the game!