News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)  (Read 58025 times)

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2019, 11:08:50 am »
Thanks Shade Aurion!  Really means a lot!  :)

It's interesting that you mention Color Dungeon.  Just thinking about it gives me chills, ha ha.  The way Nintendo implemented that into LA DX is very weird to me.  Everything about it works independently from the rest of the game, so it has a lot of conflicts when trying to use assets from that in other places.

I did expand the color dungeon room data a bit, though, so there will be more rooms.   :woot!:

Dreamwhale

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2019, 10:17:12 am »
This looks really, really good! Frankly I'm more excited about your hack than about the remake.  :)

One thing I was wondering: would it be possible to make the power bracelet (if included in the hack) context-sensitive, so it does not need to be manually equipped/unequipped?

By "context-sensitive" I mean the power bracelet will activate automatically on one of the buttons (e.g. B) whenever bumping into a specific objects like throwable rocks. You'd still have to press the button+D-pad to lift said object. It's probably a bit tricky to make it feel natural, but it would make item switching a bit less cumbersome.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2019, 06:24:30 pm »
This looks really, really good! Frankly I'm more excited about your hack than about the remake.  :)

One thing I was wondering: would it be possible to make the power bracelet (if included in the hack) context-sensitive, so it does not need to be manually equipped/unequipped?

By "context-sensitive" I mean the power bracelet will activate automatically on one of the buttons (e.g. B) whenever bumping into a specific objects like throwable rocks. You'd still have to press the button+D-pad to lift said object. It's probably a bit tricky to make it feel natural, but it would make item switching a bit less cumbersome.

Ha ha, thanks!   :)    Also, yup!  I've already made the bracelet a passive item.  That was one of my first priorities for this, since it was a pain having to equip/unequip it constantly in the original.  It is auto-assigned to the A button.

I've been working on implementing a main hand/off hand mechanic.  B = main hand, A = off hand.  Certain things will work better while equipped on the main hand.  I've mostly just experimented with this, so nothing concrete, yet.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:30:13 pm by IcePenguin »

Nimpak

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2019, 07:11:26 pm »
I'm wondering what the difficulty of the game is going to be like. I wouldn't want the game to be insanely challenging, but I'd love to see more enemy variety. Link's Awakening had a lot of interestingly designed enemies that either rarely appeared, or weren't used with many other enemies or hazards. I also wonder if the wooden sword you start out with is going to be weaker than the sword you normally start with in Link's Awakening?

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2019, 04:22:00 am »
I'm wondering what the difficulty of the game is going to be like. I wouldn't want the game to be insanely challenging, but I'd love to see more enemy variety. Link's Awakening had a lot of interestingly designed enemies that either rarely appeared, or weren't used with many other enemies or hazards. I also wonder if the wooden sword you start out with is going to be weaker than the sword you normally start with in Link's Awakening?

My goal is to make the difficulty fair and reasonable.  It won't be kaizo difficult - not even a little hint of kaizo will be found.  Level design has been done with some guidelines in place.  No pixel perfect maneuvers, no insta deaths, basically no kaizo stuff, etc.  Enemies will be evenly positioned, and you'll never be overwhelmed by an abundance of enemies.  I've taken into consideration a lot of the feedback I got from my Hero Mode hack for Link's Awakening, as well.  :)

Everything has a safe, logical solution, and doesn't require you to exploit any weird glitches or quirks of the original game.  Like clipping though stuff, or using invincibility frames to get past obstacles.  If it wasn't in the original game, it won't be in here either.

For enemies, I've tried to make them more varied, with enemies appearing in more places that you'd normally see them in.  There are limitations to this, though.  Placing an enemy on 1 screen also affects the screens adjacent to it.  Then the screens adjacent to those screens are potentially affected.  It sorta creates a chain reaction, ha ha.  With that said, I've done my best to use every enemy type regularly.  New enemy types is something I've been looking into, but would require extensive ASM to get working.  And AI in itself can get quite complex.  It's something I'm very interested in, but I can't make any promises.  Only time will tell...

The wooden sword is weaker than the the original level 1 sword, and it doesn't get any abilities that other swords will get. (4 in total)  I originally made it so the wooden sword did no damage, but after while, it got pretty tedious not being able to kill enemies with the wooden sword.  So I settled on making it as weak as possible, while still being able to defeat enemies.  Think about A Link to the Past.  Killing a red guard would take 4 hits with your basic starting sword.  Then with the most powerful sword, they could be defeated in 1 hit.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:29:36 am by IcePenguin »

Prince Valmont

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2019, 02:52:24 pm »
Are you keeping the screenshots you've made in the three years you've been developing this? I think it would be fun to look back on the finished product to see how it's evolved.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2019, 06:24:52 pm »
Are you keeping the screenshots you've made in the three years you've been developing this? I think it would be fun to look back on the finished product to see how it's evolved.

Hmm, that's a curious question!  I might be able to find a few.  This project actually began in early 2014, and any images from back then would look vastly different.  Ha ha.  I never took a lot of screenshots during the early days since I didn't make post this topic until a couple years into development.  I will look to see if there are any, though.  If I do, I'll post them.  :)

Edit:

I loaded up one of the old backups from April 2014, and took some screenshots.   One of where the current Mysterious Cave is in the forest, and one for the house on the beach.  I posted recent images of these areas a few posts ago.

You'll be able to see from the comparison, that the level design has gone through many, many revisions over the years.  :P

Spoiler:
2014:

2019:

Spoiler:
2014:

2019:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:50:10 pm by IcePenguin »

Prince Valmont

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2019, 11:33:57 pm »
Wow! They are vastly different! How fun is it to mold something new out of this? Making an entirely new experience out of something everyone knows and has played countless times? That's got to feel awesome.

Thank you.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2019, 11:45:25 pm »
That is the best part of ROM hacking, I think.

The best compliment I ever got for a hack I did was when my friend told me that one of my early attempts at a Castlevania hack felt new, but eerily similar.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2019, 06:05:57 am »
It's really fun and exciting!  There have been times where I would work on this all day.  Sometimes even at the expense of sleep, ha ha.  For me, making games, or romhacking, is more fun than actually playing them.  I still love to play, as well, though.  When the Link's Awakening remake arrives, I'll probably be playing that for a long time.   :laugh:

Here is another comparison, for 2014, 2018, and 2019.  I posted an image of this pond last year, but haven't shown the most recent version of it.  In 2014, it was still Manbo's Pond like in the original game, but now it's something different - which is probably a little obvious!  What could the strange tile be?   ;)   Here are the images:

Spoiler:

2014:

2018:

2019:

Prince Valmont

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2019, 12:30:56 pm »
IcePenguin, those look incredible.

I'm very eager to see what kind of dynamics you've implemented.

This reminds me of when I found the old alpha/beta screenshots of Link's Awakening and compared them to what the final game looked like. It's like viewing the game as a very fluid-like work of art, always changing form. I view ROM hacks like fanfiction: they're made by people who love the source material so much that they didn't want the magic to end when the story did. Keeping it alive by giving it a fresh approach is, in my eyes, the greatest love letter one could give a game.

Awesome work.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2019, 03:25:36 pm »
IcePenguin, those look incredible.

I'm very eager to see what kind of dynamics you've implemented.

This reminds me of when I found the old alpha/beta screenshots of Link's Awakening and compared them to what the final game looked like. It's like viewing the game as a very fluid-like work of art, always changing form. I view ROM hacks like fanfiction: they're made by people who love the source material so much that they didn't want the magic to end when the story did. Keeping it alive by giving it a fresh approach is, in my eyes, the greatest love letter one could give a game.

Awesome work.

Thanks Prince Valmont!  Those words are really encouraging.  I just hope that one day I get to finish it.  Life is full of twists and turns, so who knows.  I've been working on this project for so long, that it's become like a normal part of my life, ha ha.  I guess it will be done when it's done, and when that happens, hopefully it's something worth showing.  Marin is one of my favorite characters in the series, so I'm doing my best to give her a game fitting for her story.  Though it won't be some grand story, there are limits to what I can do, ha ha.   :laugh:

Dreamwhale

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2019, 03:57:00 pm »
Ha ha, thanks!   :)    Also, yup!  I've already made the bracelet a passive item.  That was one of my first priorities for this, since it was a pain having to equip/unequip it constantly in the original.  It is auto-assigned to the A button.

I've been working on implementing a main hand/off hand mechanic.  B = main hand, A = off hand.  Certain things will work better while equipped on the main hand.  I've mostly just experimented with this, so nothing concrete, yet.

Holy Batbracelet :o, you're the best!

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2019, 09:06:22 pm »
Keep at this, I really want to help with bug testing when you get to a point you're ready for it.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2019, 01:54:47 am »
Keep at this, I really want to help with bug testing when you get to a point you're ready for it.

Sure thing!  It'll probably be a while before that time comes, though.  :P  There are still quite a few things not in place, but when it's in a state that is ready for playing, I'll probably look for some people to play test.  For now, the focus is just on refining a lot of what's been implemented, and I still have to design some dungeons for Link's game.  Marin's dungeons are complete, but I'd like all of them to be done before any serious play testing starts.

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2019, 10:32:37 pm »
Awesome, any chance we can get more screenshots or a video?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2019, 01:37:39 am »
You can count me in for playtesting! :)

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2019, 03:27:43 am »
Here's a video.  I'm still planning to update this area, so it may look different at release.  Also, it's not a dungeon, but instead an optional side quest.  :P

https://youtu.be/9Kqf0RmgOqc

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2019, 03:17:18 pm »
Looks great!  :beer:
*subscribes*

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2019, 08:46:18 pm »
I do appreciate all the feedback you've given!  It has given me some ideas I want to try out, so hopefully they work out.  No telling what will happen, but if anything comes of it I'll make an update for it.  :)

Much agreed!  Speaking of Marin, here is an image of her visiting the town shop.  She is inspecting the shop's new inventory.

This looks interesting!