News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)  (Read 48086 times)

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Re: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2019, 01:29:14 am »
Seems like you've done a lot to me man. All your little tweaks matter a lot in the long run. It all adds polish and goes a long way. Honestly, the way you've moved the hearts to the lower right is pretty good as it is. I can def understand how complicated it would be moving everything around on screen and if i'm being honest, I don't know if it would be worth the effort when your set up looks pretty damn good.

Do things at your own pace my dude, you don't want to burn yourself out or lose your passion. I'm doing a Lets Play of DX+ with a few mods (one being yours atm) so this game is fresh in my mind currently. That's likely why I keep having ideas. Plus I grew up with Link's Awakening and always thought Marin deserved better :(

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2019, 12:08:06 am »
I do appreciate all the feedback you've given!  It has given me some ideas I want to try out, so hopefully they work out.  No telling what will happen, but if anything comes of it I'll make an update for it.  :)

Plus I grew up with Link's Awakening and always thought Marin deserved better :(

Much agreed!  Speaking of Marin, here is an image of her visiting the town shop.  She is inspecting the shop's new inventory.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2019, 06:03:14 am »
Are those placeholder items or are they planned or functional new stuff?
I'm especially curious about the li'l slime. I would buy him and name him Jellybean.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2019, 07:28:36 am »
Are those placeholder items or are they planned or functional new stuff?
I'm especially curious about the li'l slime. I would buy him and name him Jellybean.

They are functional new items.  There might also be more as the shop changes inventory.   ;)  It's funny that you mention naming him Jellybean.  I wish I could explain why!  Well, I could but I don't like ruining surprises lol.

mdtauk

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2019, 08:12:28 am »
I am imagining Marin suddenly waking up after dreaming about meeting a boy called Link, and helping his journey.  She searches the island for proof he existed, no-one else remembers him or knows him.

Eventually she stumbles upon the face shrine, but its not an owl and a windfish, but an engraving of a boy, in green, and the Triforce symbol.

She wants to set off and find him, but...

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2019, 05:46:04 pm »
I am imagining Marin suddenly waking up after dreaming about meeting a boy called Link, and helping his journey.  She searches the island for proof he existed, no-one else remembers him or knows him.

Eventually she stumbles upon the face shrine, but its not an owl and a windfish, but an engraving of a boy, in green, and the Triforce symbol.

She wants to set off and find him, but...

Wow, I really like that idea.  It has a mysterious twist to it.  Something like that would really give a feeling of nostalgia, as well, as you the player remember all those events while tying to help Marin remember.   Very interesting!  :)

XModxGodX

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2019, 06:04:51 pm »
My guess is it's like Wind Waker where you get Chu jelly for potion ingredients or something.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2019, 06:20:55 pm »
It's funny that you mention naming him Jellybean.  I wish I could explain why!  Well, I could but I don't like ruining surprises lol.

Awesome. :D

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2019, 09:20:26 am »
My guess is it's like Wind Waker where you get Chu jelly for potion ingredients or something.

That's actually what got me to make this item.  :P  Inspired by the chu jellies from Wind Waker!

Just thought I'd post a couple more screenshots of the island.  Nothing too spoiler-y!  You'll be able to see how the gfx were expanded to allow more variety throughout. 

Mariachi

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2019, 11:22:50 am »
I love all of this stuff! Very excited about this mod.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2019, 02:10:14 pm »
Oh! Bananas! Better watch out for Yiga! :P

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2019, 07:59:29 am »
Unfortunately, there is nothing mighty about those bananas.   :'(

I could use some input on something.  Currently, the pop up text for dungeon names, when you enter them, has been removed.  You can still see the name of the dungeon on the map, but should the pop up message remain?  The reason I removed it is because it got annoying seeing every time I would test a new dungeon, ha ha.  However, now that those are mostly done, I started wondering about it...

What's everyone's thought on that?  Should dungeons have pop up message with the dungeon name upon entry?

Spoiler:

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2019, 08:12:42 am »
Unfortunately, there is nothing mighty about those bananas.   :'(

I could use some input on something.  Currently, the pop up text for dungeon names, when you enter them, has been removed.  You can still see the name of the dungeon on the map, but should the pop up message remain?  The reason I removed it is because it got annoying seeing every time I would test a new dungeon, ha ha.  However, now that those are mostly done, I started wondering about it...

What's everyone's thought on that?  Should dungeons have pop up message with the dungeon name upon entry?

Spoiler:

You should put it back.

mdtauk

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2019, 09:02:05 am »
You should put it back.
I agree, its one thing that makes the dungeons feel different to going through other doorways.

Exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2019, 11:31:46 am »
I agree with Timbo here. Would like to see the popup when entering the dungeon. I don't think it will get enoying when you normally play the game, you should re-enter a dungeon like 4-5 times at most I think.
BTW the new screenshots you posted look amazing especially the last one inside the dungeon. The plants on the walls give it an sewer like vibe which is awesome.
Hype Hype  ;D

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2019, 04:53:37 pm »
Okay I'll definitely put it back.  Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts!  Exodus, glad you like the dungeon screenshot!  That's a result of the gfx expansion allowing more variety.  :)  I'm most happy about each dungeon having its own distinct look now.  The original game only had 3 different dungeon gfx sets.  (stuff like blocks, floors, walls, pots, etc.)

Deathofreligion

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2019, 05:01:19 pm »
Looks Good

Exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2019, 11:25:03 am »
Sound great. Looking forward to see the new dungeon designs myself and explore the dungeons. The game keeps looking better and better, exited to see the final product when it gets released.
BTW what are you aiming for for the final game? Something "familiar yet fresh" or something that will feel like a completely different game from the original?

IcePenguin

• View Profile
Re: Zelda - Link\'s Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2019, 06:41:51 pm »
Just saw the Nintendo Direct.  Link's Awakening Remake!  Yay!  :crazy:

Sound great. Looking forward to see the new dungeon designs myself and explore the dungeons. The game keeps looking better and better, exited to see the final product when it gets released.
BTW what are you aiming for for the final game? Something "familiar yet fresh" or something that will feel like a completely different game from the original?

Hopefully both.  Everything shown so far has a similar aesthetic to the original.  There are some things on my to-do list that I'd LOVE to do, but would take some considerable skills with ASM.  One example is enemy AI.  I've been trying to get better at ASM, so we'll just have wait and see what the future holds.

February 14, 2019, 09:53:12 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
With how excited I am for Link's Awakening remake, I'm feeling in the mood to share the game's new title screen and opening premise.

For Marin's game, the story is her trying to escape the island after Link vanishes.  She sets sail in search of her friend, but the relentless storm around Koholint prevents her from getting far.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 09:53:12 am by IcePenguin »

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2019, 10:37:57 am »
Wow, that looks amazing! Nicely done man.

And yeah that direct was awesome. Makes me wonder if we'll see remakes of the Oracle series or even.. dare I say it.. Adventure of Link
It certainly motivated me to push further through my current Let's Play. I should only have 3-4 eps left to record now :3

I do want to mention, the color dungeon in Link's Awakening DX feels like a bit of a waste to be entirely honest. Like it's a great dungeon but everything they added, the tile monsters, the jump floors, the shield wielding ball enemies you roll into the right hole.. A lot could be done with those extra mechanics *wink wink, nudge nudge*