News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translating Saturn Grandia  (Read 15257 times)

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
Re: Translating Saturn Grandia
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2019, 03:21:48 am »
Ok guys, I have the map screens translated for Disc 2:

And I've done a little spot checking with Digital Museum Saves and things seem to be behaving well so far:

So I think with that we can start beta testing disc 2. Linked below is Patch version 0.50 for Disc 2. Same patching methods are used. As with Disc 1, please report any bugs, crashes, or other issues you encounter in this thread or the SegaXtreme thread:

https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/Releases/Disc%202/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_2_v0.50.zip

I've also put up a new patch for Disc 1 that brings it up to version 0.60. This brings over a lot of the new features of Disc 2 such as translated error messages. Since it can be completed I'd like to say 0.60 indicates a playable release, but lacks polish such as what the remaining issues are:

https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/Releases/Disc%201/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.60.zip

My general idea for versioning will be as follows:

0.50 - The game is technically playable but not able to be completed due to crashes and bugs.
0.60 - Major crashes and issues are resolved and the game can be completed. However it still lacks polish.
0.70, 0.80, and 0.90 - More polish has been completed. I'm reserving these for milestones such as all voices are synchronized, compressed graphics are translated, FMVs have subtitles, etc.
1.0 - What remaining issues are polished out. So problems with text alignment, etc.

Any nice to haves that get accomplished before 1.0 will be integrated into one of those releases. If they come after 1.0 it will be an update like a 1.1.

August 10, 2019, 01:49:31 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here's a fix for a hang up issue after Rapp was introduced.

https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/Releases/Disc%202/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_2_v0.50.1.zip

August 12, 2019, 11:27:26 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
New patches are out for Disc 1 and 2.

Disc 1 is now at version 0.61 which fixes some minor issues with the text in the magic shop and save screen being glitchy:
https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/Releases/Disc%201/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.61.zip

Disc 2 is now at version 0.51 which fixes a hangup when encountering Milda, and includes the magic shop screen and save screen fixes from Disc 1:
https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/Releases/Disc%202/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_2_v0.51.zip
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 11:27:26 pm by TrekkiesUnite118 »

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2019, 08:41:45 am »
It's only been a month since the last time I checked in and it looks like you've made amazing progress. Thank you again for your hard work. I enjoy reading the updates and seeing the progress you've made in the screen shots. Keep up the great work.

BabaJeanmel

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2019, 12:46:44 pm »
Thanks a lot for your hard work.

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2019, 05:22:57 pm »
Ok, I have the hangup after Mullen challenges you fixed. I spent a bit more time on this one since it was so close to the end of the game that I wanted to see if there were anymore. And thankfully there weren't any!

Spoiler:

So assuming that testers didn't skip around and got to this point legitimately, I think it's safe to say with this release the game can be completed. There still could be some issues as there are optional areas and the like in the game that may not have been tested yet. So I'll refrain from upping the version to 0.60 for now. But here are the new patch releases:

Disc 1 Version 0.62
-Translates the remaining Japanese text in the Item Get screen.
https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/Releases/Disc%201/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.62.zip

Disc 2 Version 0.52
-Translates the remaining Japanese text in the Item Get screen.
-Fixes Hang up when Mullen challenges Justin.
https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/Releases/Disc%202/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_2_v0.52.zip

EpicDave

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2019, 06:51:47 pm »
I am so excited for this man. I can't wait great work! :woot!:

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2019, 07:40:54 pm »
So some people in the Grandia discord were able to get a hold of the creator of the Grandia Redux mod and as a result were able to point me in the direction for fixing Feena's Time Gate. And after finding the data and applying changes I was able to fix Feena's Time Gate requirements:

I'll put together a minor patch version update a bit later for this.

August 27, 2019, 01:28:12 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok, I have two new patches ready.

Disc 1 Version 0.62.1:
  • Fixes for clock reset bugs after Sue and Gadwin leave the party.
https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/Releases/Disc%201/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.62.1.zip

Disc 2 Version 0.52.1:
  • Experimental fix for clock reset bug after Milda leaves the party.
  • Fixes Feena's Time Gate requirements and MP Cost.

https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/Releases/Disc%202/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_2_v0.52.1.zip

Please continue to test and report bugs.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 01:28:13 am by TrekkiesUnite118 »

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2019, 07:59:39 am »
I'm trying to use those utilities on your website to no avail. I can't seem to compile any. I wanna try and run them on the MDT files in Digital Museum, but if I can't compile them, I can't do much. If it turns out the DM script is ony like 100-200kb, I can get through it in a couple of weeks.

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2019, 06:08:10 pm »
I'm trying to use those utilities on your website to no avail. I can't seem to compile any. I wanna try and run them on the MDT files in Digital Museum, but if I can't compile them, I can't do much. If it turns out the DM script is ony like 100-200kb, I can get through it in a couple of weeks.

If you import the files into an IDE like Eclipse, it should be able to build and run them. You want to run the GUI programs.

The Scripts for Digital Museum are about 90KB in size. However you'll need to make your own font table, as I never really finished making one, plus Digital Museums font file appears to be different(Different kanji maybe?).

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2019, 09:28:13 pm »
If you import the files into an IDE like Eclipse, it should be able to build and run them. You want to run the GUI programs.

The Scripts for Digital Museum are about 90KB in size. However you'll need to make your own font table, as I never really finished making one, plus Digital Museums font file appears to be different(Different kanji maybe?).
Not too sure how to rip the font and all that. I was kinda just hoping to get a script dump that I could translate and then hand the completed thing off to a hacker (that's about the limit of my hacking ability.)

Would you be interested in hacking DM once you finish the main game? I offer my services as a translator.

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2019, 01:32:46 am »
Not too sure how to rip the font and all that. I was kinda just hoping to get a script dump that I could translate and then hand the completed thing off to a hacker (that's about the limit of my hacking ability.)

Would you be interested in hacking DM once you finish the main game? I offer my services as a translator.

The font is compressed in FDATA.BIN. You can decompress it using CyberWarriorX's tools:
http://cyberwarriorx.com/translation-utilities

The font after being decompressed is a 16x16 4bpp font. It works on a paging system being either single byte or double byte encoding depending on the page. The first page is single byte encoded from 0x20-0xFF. It's mostly English capital letters and numbers, as well Katakana and Hiragana + punctuation. The next pages are all Kanji. The paging system works like this. Page 2 is denoted by 0x10, page 3, 0x11, page 4, 0x12, and so on and so forth. All pages after the first page are encoded from 0x00-0xFF.

So in the Hex data you'll see characters in the first page denoted as just the hex value of their position on the page starting at 0x20. So if they wanted to use the 106th character on page one, you'd just use 0x6A. If you wanted to use the 5th character on page 3, you'd use 0x11 followed by 0x05.

As for doing Digital Museum, I'd be interested in doing it but not until the main game is done.

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2019, 10:24:47 pm »
I decompressed the font, but I have no idea how to view it. I tried all the settings on fatilety, and found that its "4bpp genesis," but how do I get a picture like you have where they all line up nicely?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:43:24 pm by Guadozoku »

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2019, 01:04:56 am »
Open it in a tile editor like CrystalTile or TileMolester and set the codec to 4bppMD or 4bpp Linear depending on the program. Set your block size to 16x16 and that should get it readable. If that doesn't work then you might need to set it to row-interleaved or for CrystalTile set the Image Pattern to ObjV-1324.

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2019, 05:13:08 am »
Ok, I got the tbl file done, and separated every string into its own little file. Now what? Is there a better way to get these things human readable than using Romjuice on each one?

KobaBeach

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2019, 07:58:51 am »
Really good job on this translation so far!

32-bit patches, especially Saturn patches, are not very easy to work on.
I honestly commend your efforts! Do your best!

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2019, 11:58:36 pm »
Ok, I got the tbl file done, and separated every string into its own little file. Now what? Is there a better way to get these things human readable than using Romjuice on each one?

To my knowledge no. Unless you can write something that can convert the encoding into Shift-JIS or something. Though the good news is that the 8x16 font is in ASCII order, so you can just write the English translation as normal and just copy paste it in.