News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: VRC-4 dissasembly and Goemon Gaiden translation  (Read 930 times)

Drag0nscythe

• View Profile
VRC-4 dissasembly and Goemon Gaiden translation
« on: May 27, 2016, 04:48:17 am »
Howdy,

I am rather new to the hacking/translation scene and I felt that my original goal to translate a DS game was a bit ambitious. Instead I decided to start simple by translating nes games and move up. The game I want to translate is Goemon Gaiden.

I have already started using fceux to retrieve the hex values for the characters and I have also started looking through the code to locate the graphics. However one thing I noticed is that the hex data for the kanji and the hex data that displays the kanji are different. Some hex will bring up 3 kanji while others will bring up 1. I have also noticed that two different tables are used for the game.

As a way to figure out how to translate the game. I was planning on disassembling the games, translating and modifying the game and reassembling it. This way I could ensure enough space for the sentences. However one problem that I found out was that the gaiden games are both vrc-4, a mapper used by the gaiden games and only 3 other games. Because of this, I am having difficulty locating any information which can help in the translation of these games.

Are there any useful dissasembly programs which work on the mapper vrc-4. Any tips on trying to translate these particular games.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: VRC-4 dissasembly and Goemon Gaiden translation
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 01:08:07 pm »
What mapper the game uses really shouldn't matter for translation purposes.  I suppose it could matter for smart disassemblers, but you don't really need a smart disassembler unless you're planning on doing massive code rewrites.  If you're just going to use a disassembly to find stuff, then any naive disassembler should work.

That said... VRC4 is more or less functionally identical to the much more common MMC3 (mapper 4) which just about any tool imaginable would support.  So if you really want to run your smart disassembler on it, you should be able to trick it by just changing the mapper number in the header and having the disassembler think it's mapper 4.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 01:41:41 am »
Here is the known information on VRC4.

Disassembling and reassembling an entire NES game is SEVERE overkill for just a translation. (and yes, I ended up disassembling much of Momotaro Densetsu's opening code just to move a single menu, so I know what crazy is  ;D )
If you're going to be disassembling stuff, it should be limited to stuff related to translation, like text routines and window functions.

Some hex will bring up 3 kanji while others will bring up 1.
Do you mean kana? Because I recall the Goemon Gaiden games were all-kana.
But anyways, what you describe sounds like a simple form of compression known as "dictionary" or "substring". It's pretty common, especially in RPGs. If you plan on writing a custom text dumper, it's pretty simple to code, you just need to know how the game uses the string numbers to look up the string from the dictionary.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Drag0nscythe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 09:05:26 am »
thanks for the info, I will try and use a mmc3 dissasembler on the game.

I was planning on dissasembling the game as I was worried about the translation being much longer then the kana.

Is there a guide for dictionary and text compression? If this is the case, then I could use this for translating the game.

Thanks again