News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Make NEW music for SMB3 (How do I?)  (Read 3655 times)

hyakulegger

• View Profile
Make NEW music for SMB3 (How do I?)
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:28:43 pm »
(I searched and couldn't find a precise answer to that question.)

I want to make a hack for Mario 3. I just want to change graphics, and if possible, music and sound effects.

I'm a music composer, but not a hacker. Is there a way to make new music and sound effects for SMB3?

(Most of the music is done.)

:cookie:

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Make NEW music for SMB3 (How do I?)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:32:14 pm »
To make new music for just about any game without streaming audio (basically, all Nintendo consoles pre-GCN, all Nintendo handhelds pre-3DS, all Sega systems pre-Saturn), you have to find out how the sound engine works, which will require a good deal of hex editing.

hyakulegger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 10:36:14 pm »
I'm not a hacker, and know nothing about hex editing.

No tools for this? I can only compose music/draw pixelart.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:54:49 pm »
You will need to be a hacker in order to change the music. There are no two ways about it.

Unless of course, you can convince someone to make a tool for it. Game specific tools for music are  rare, and unfortunately I don't think there is one for Mario 3. If there already is one, I would owe you an apology, and you should use it.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 02:52:10 pm »
To make new music for just about any game without streaming audio (basically, all Nintendo consoles pre-GCN, all Nintendo handhelds pre-3DS, all Sega systems pre-Saturn), you have to find out how the sound engine works, which will require a good deal of hex editing.

The DS has a fair few simplified tools, maybe not quite open this file in audacity/[insert midi sequencer] but I reckon anybody vaguely competent with computers and has a rough idea of the idea of file formats could probably be composing their own songs (maybe limited to the same/an existing instrument set at first) with an evening or so fiddling. The GBA is not doing that badly either if you land on a game with sappy audio (possibly also XM).
This does not help the OP and I would agree with your words otherwise but I do have to stick up for the GBA and DS audio world.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 03:36:36 pm »
I said I'd help.

What file format is the music in? (please say you can export to MIDI).

nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 06:27:01 pm »
This game has an annotated disassembly, it should be easy to find the music data and edit it.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 08:11:14 pm »
This topic has come up before.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14049.msg262225.html

Also linked from http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20623.msg289943.html .

Suffice it to say, it's not easy.  (If it was, everyone would be doing it.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

hyakulegger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 11:03:42 pm »
@dougeff
That'd be fantastic!

@henke37
How?

@optomon
I know, but I'm not a hacker. I can only compose MIDI and draw pixelart.

@Fast6191
...?

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 11:01:00 am »
The question was not if you are a hacker - but rather if you are ready to become one...?

/dACE

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 09:13:04 pm »
I've done music hacking with the N-SPC engine, but I've always wanted to work out how SMB3's music engine worked because in the Airship Theme, the note lengths for the first few DPCM samples (the Tom Tom drums) are too long! Compare the original version to the SNES remake.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:05:13 pm by vince94 »

hyakulegger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 10:39:29 pm »
The question was not if you are a hacker - but rather if you are ready to become one...?

/dACE

I'm a total noob. Not really. I can only make music and pixels, and was only asking for help to insert my music in SMB3.

I know a little bit about NES/GB limitations, to help me make chiptunes/sprites. But that's all.

I've done music hacking with the N-SPC engine, but I've always wanted to work out how SMB3's music engine worked because in the Airship Theme, the note lengths for the first few DPCM samples (the Tom Tom drums) are too long! Compare the original version to the SNES remake.

Does that mean you can help me and Dougeff?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:49:38 pm by hyakulegger »

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 11:18:01 pm »
Well, I don't have experience with disassemblies at all, but I have used EBMusEd, which is a music editor for EarthBound (a game that uses N-SPC). It has different hex codes for channel volume, note lengths, looping patterns, and stuff like that. I imagine SMB3 uses something similar, but with completely different codes corresponding to those things...and there wouldn't be a dedicated music editor like I'm used to, just straight-up hex :(

hyakulegger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 03:20:43 am »
 :o

Quick Curly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 12:59:49 pm »
Hello, hyakulegger. Welcome to Romhacking.net and the super special awesome world of SMB3 hacking. :)

There actually is an available SMB3 Music Editor program that was written by JaSp many years ago. He shared the last version that he made of it publicly back in 2009 through Board 2. You can download the utility at the following link:
http://klikechange.free.fr/romhack/smb3asm/smb3me.exe
He shared it in the following topic, "Going after the SMB3 Music Format...":
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=5078

If you try searching through Google before you ask potential questions, you might discover other helpful little bits of relevant information here and there. When it comes to NES SMB3, many frequently asked questions have been answered and covered in the past, and as henke37 likes to point out in most recent SMB3 related threads, there is a disassembly for the game out there that you can also locate. :P

JaSp also created the SMB3 Music Inserter, but that program is designed specifically for the expanded Reuben SMB3 ROM. Since your current intention is to only modify the graphics and music, unless you want to make use of expanded CHR-ROM space to further customize your graphical modifications, you most likely don't need to use an expanded Reuben SMB3 ROM. Nonetheless, the thread for the utility, also last active in 2009, can be viewed here:
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=5813

Best of luck! You can do it! :beer:

hyakulegger

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 12:36:10 am »
Hello, hyakulegger. Welcome to Romhacking.net and the super special awesome world of SMB3 hacking. :)

There actually is an available SMB3 Music Editor program that was written by JaSp many years ago. He shared the last version that he made of it publicly back in 2009 through Board 2. You can download the utility at the following link:
http://klikechange.free.fr/romhack/smb3asm/smb3me.exe
He shared it in the following topic, "Going after the SMB3 Music Format...":
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=5078

If you try searching through Google before you ask potential questions, you might discover other helpful little bits of relevant information here and there. When it comes to NES SMB3, many frequently asked questions have been answered and covered in the past, and as henke37 likes to point out in most recent SMB3 related threads, there is a disassembly for the game out there that you can also locate. :P

JaSp also created the SMB3 Music Inserter, but that program is designed specifically for the expanded Reuben SMB3 ROM. Since your current intention is to only modify the graphics and music, unless you want to make use of expanded CHR-ROM space to further customize your graphical modifications, you most likely don't need to use an expanded Reuben SMB3 ROM. Nonetheless, the thread for the utility, also last active in 2009, can be viewed here:
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=5813

Best of luck! You can do it! :beer:

Like I said, I already searched, but all I found was a bunch of guys (in English, which is not my language) still looking for that.

This is very helpful, thank you a million times!!! I'm not sure I understand everything about disassambly and stuff, but I'm glad to hear there is hope. I might still need a bit of help, but I'll start with the graphics first, then the music.

I can never thank you enough for this. :beer:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:29:12 am by hyakulegger »