News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Building Snes custom repro carts  (Read 3929 times)

SidGallup

• View Profile
Building Snes custom repro carts
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:18:12 pm »
Anyone here has experience building Snes repros?

Ive found this video recently andi was impressed by what these boards can acomplish, multigames with save function working for 4 games on 1 cart sounds impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmENj2n9oYY

Anyways, ive been in contact with him and im about to bite on a couple of those boards to build some carts and put some hacks and translations on them.

My question is... and im not sure if this is against the rules... is there any service where i can order the chips already flashed with the games? he told me he doesnt do that, and a ROM flasher is very expensive and doesnt worth it since i only want like 3 or 4 carts.

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Building Snes custom repro carts
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:34:43 pm »
Ive found this video recently andi was impressed by what these boards can acomplish, multigames with save function working for 4 games on 1 cart sounds impressive.

Or you could just get an SD cart. That kinda makes this one obsolete.

SidGallup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:51:07 pm »
Or you could just get an SD cart. That kinda makes this one obsolete.

well ive found this long ago but is not compatible with games that use special chips so cant play Mario RPG hacks, or Star Fox 2, or Yopshis Island hacks.
http://www.infiniteneslives.com/aux5.php

those might be good for just normal games, but the catch is you need to also buy the cart flasher wich goes for an extra $20, and compatibility isnt too high from what iv e read on their forums.

besides that, theres also the SD2Snes, but... man have you seen those prices? $220 waaaaaaaaaaaaaay above my budget, also i wanna try it for the fun of building my own, i have some soldering skills and im a DIY afficionado, i modded my Gamecube myself, and a friends PS3.

All i need is someplace reliable to get the flashed ROMs, and that has experience handling Snes ones since some of them are tricky to make them work on real hardware.

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 02:59:08 pm »
All i need is someplace reliable to get the flashed ROMs, and that has experience handling Snes ones since some of them are tricky to make them work on real hardware.
"someplace reliable" and "get flashed ROMs" are somewhat contradictory. I cannot think of many ways to get them except from knowing a guy personally. Selling/buying of flashed ROMs is considered illegal. More so than putting them on an SD card.
And they are quite expensive. If you are planning to play multiple hacks of those games then you will save money by making the initial $250 investment for the SD2SNES setup, Regardless of enhancement chip support. Or you could bypass all that crap and use an emulator, but I can see that you want a tangible setup.

vortex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 03:20:06 pm »
$220 waaaaaaaaaaaaaay above my budget
That's why all romhacks should be played on emulators (for free). You don't need any carts, consoles or drives that way and have all possible existing formats compatibility, which might not work elsewhere, specially because romhacks might use some custom music or custom gfx.

SidGallup

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 03:29:43 pm »
"someplace reliable" and "get flashed ROMs" are somewhat contradictory.

By reliable i mean, someone whit experience and who's not gonna run away with my money.

Ive found some web stores like this one  http://www.buyicnow.com/so.php  they sell the chips and they can flash them for you if you send them the files sadly they are not in the US so the shipping completely kills the deal for me, also some of the hacks and translations i want to play are tricky to make them work on real hardware, i just got a Super Famicom recently and i want to use it obviously, nothig like the real thing with real controllers.

$230 is way too much for what i need, my plan is to buy 2 multigame boards, one for Zelda AST the other for Yoshis Island hack, Starfox 2 and Seiken Densetsu 3. So i would need someone in the US who's familiar with Snes ROM flashing to take care of deciding which chip is more convenient for each game and flash the correct-patched files so they run on original hardware.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 03:37:01 pm »
If you're looking for a deal, something like an SD2SNES or SNES Powerpak is the way to go. Carts go for stupid prices these days (just so they can sit on posers shelves) so they're a rip off. If you look up the prices on some of the most classic SNES games then you will see that the price of those would quickly eclipse the price of a flash cart like those mentioned above which can store literally hundreds of games. Unless you're one of those people who have more money than they need, standard carts are a stupid buy. At the end of the day it's about what you will play and if you want something that looks better collecting dust on a shelf then just collect action figures.

I own a Powerpak and am content with the fact that the only carts I will have to buy is Mario RPG, Starfox, Doom and *I would say Yoshi's Island but that whiny fucking baby kills it for me (Fuck you Nintendo). Other than those few, there's no way in hell I'm buying another cart. If I want nostalgia that bad I'll just collect something more useful like old issues of Nintendo Power.

*I forgot Top Gear 3000
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 03:56:36 pm »
nothig like the real thing with real controllers.
You could always get a SNES controller to USB adapter  ;)

But yeah, I cannot think of any business styled websites in the Americas. Best bet is to try some kind of forum and do a private deal.
I own a Powerpak and am content with the fact that the only carts I will have to buy is Mario RPG, Starfox, Doom and *I would say Yoshi's Island but that whiny fucking baby kills it for me (Fuck you Nintendo).

The whining kills Yoshi's island but the terrible controls and graphics don't kill doom  :huh:

But yeah, those are the only games that are worth a crap that you cannot play on a flashcart.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 04:10:57 pm »
The whining kills Yoshi's island but the terrible controls and graphics don't kill doom  :huh:

Not if I disable it via hex, but I can't do that on a legit cart and Yoshi's Island is one of the few games that my Powerpak doesn't support. I only use emulators to help me hack, so that pretty much means no Yoshi's Island for me. :'(

As for SNES Doom, I don't play it much. That version is a novelty that I like to indulge in from time to time. It has the same sort of appeal to me as that NES demake of Final Fantasy VII. You know, that sort of thing. Either way, I like it.

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 04:50:53 pm »
You can get SD2SNES for less than $220, with a little work. I bought a few extras, got them at a severe discount, and sold the remaining to Brazilians with money to burn. Took less than a week to recover the money and even with the selling expenses, the remaining cartridges I kept were much lower in cost. I paid a net of about $130 each, for the two I have. But it does require still MORE money to do this. So I get that. I guess that is just another advantage people with some cash have, sad to admit. However, you might see about finding a few other kind souls and pool your money. That could work.
An equal right to an opinion isn't a right to an equal opinion. -- 1995, me
Saying religion is the source of morality is like saying a squirrel is the source of acorns.  -- 2002, me

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 05:10:48 pm »
You can get SD2SNES for less than $220, with a little work. I bought a few extras, got them at a severe discount, and sold the remaining to Brazilians with money to burn. Took less than a week to recover the money and even with the selling expenses, the remaining cartridges I kept were much lower in cost. I paid a net of about $130 each, for the two I have. But it does require still MORE money to do this. So I get that. I guess that is just another advantage people with some cash have, sad to admit. However, you might see about finding a few other kind souls and pool your money. That could work.

Yeah, I think the dude should just save his money and get something like the SD2SNES. That's going to be a much better purchase in the end. Why pay a bunch of money for a handful of games when you could spend the same amount and have access to an entire library. Of the games that it probably can't play there are probably only about 5 that are worth anyone's time and I mentioned most of them above.** I have a Powerpak but I wouldn't recommend it. (even though it's only about $150). I say that because while I am very happy with mine, having to hold the reset button after you are finished playing and then choosing to save is apparently just too complicated for most people. ::) That said, I can play Star Ocean on it which I believe is not possible with some (or all?) of the competing devices.

**The only other good ones I can think of are two of the Kirby games.

SidGallup

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 05:19:40 pm »
carts go for stupid prices these days (just so they can sit on posers shelves) so they're a rip off. If you look up the prices on some of the most classic SNES games then you will see that the price of those would quickly eclipse the price of a flash cart like those mentioned above
*I forgot Top Gear 3000

Yes ive noticed this too, that was the only reason why i went for a Super Famicom, games are way cheaper so far ive bought Super Metroid $24, Mario Collection $11, Mario Kart $12, Mario World $10, Zelda Lttp $10, Super SF 2 $10, Yoshi's Island $12, all of them including shipping, my goal is to get just the ones that are sub $40 like castlevania, Ghouls n Ghosts, Contra 3, and some other Japanese stuff like GoGo Ackman which go for cheap, the ones i just cant afford are the obvious ones like Crhonno Trigger, Mario RPG, FF 3, Secret of Mana, Ninja Gaiden trilogy, Megaman x1-2-3 and stuff like that which goes for around a hundred each, no way im paying those prices.

I dont have money to burn, but i want to build a decent collection just for the nostalgiua factor, at least the ones i had as kid and sold for i dont know how much years and years ago.

Ill check that Power Pak you mention to see hows the compatibility.

fginally, im pretty sure there's a ROM hack for Yopshi's Island which lowers the volume of the baby screams or removes them completely.. im sure ive read on some hacking forum years ago but i dont know if it was actually finished or released.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 05:51:32 pm »
Yes ive noticed this too, that was the only reason why i went for a Super Famicom, games are way cheaper so far ive bought Super Metroid $24, Mario Collection $11, Mario Kart $12, Mario World $10, Zelda Lttp $10, Super SF 2 $10, Yoshi's Island $12, all of them including shipping, my goal is to get just the ones that are sub $40 like castlevania, Ghouls n Ghosts, Contra 3, and some other Japanese stuff like GoGo Ackman which go for cheap, the ones i just cant afford are the obvious ones like Crhonno Trigger, Mario RPG, FF 3, Secret of Mana, Ninja Gaiden trilogy, Megaman x1-2-3 and stuff like that which goes for around a hundred each, no way im paying those prices.

I dont have money to burn, but i want to build a decent collection just for the nostalgiua factor, at least the ones i had as kid and sold for i dont know how much years and years ago.

Sounds reasonable. I'm glad to hear that you are not one of those people who want to own every SNES game just so they can use them for furniture/decorating a shelf.

Ill check that Power Pak you mention to see hows the compatibility.

Here's the incompatibility list from their site:
Spoiler:
Game Name    Issue
Comanche    Super FX chip not supported
Dai Kaiju Monogatari 2    No RTC, future option to load from txt file?
Daisenryaku Expert WWII: War in Europe    SA-1 chip not supported
Derby Jockey 2    SA-1 chip not supported
Dirt Racer    Super FX chip not supported
Dirt Trax FX    Super FX chip not supported
Doom    Super FX chip not supported
Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension    SA-1 chip not supported
Dungeon Master    DSP2 chip not supported
F1 ROC II: Race of Champions / Exhaust Heat II    ST010 chip not supported
Far East of Eden Zero    SPC7110 chip not supported
FX Fighter    Super FX chip not supported
Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi    ST011 chip not supported
Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi 2    ST018 chip not supported
Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1    SA-1 chip not supported
J. League '96 Dream Stadium    SA-1 chip not supported
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius    SA-1 chip not supported
Jumpin' Derby    SA-1 chip not supported
Kakinoki Shogi    SA-1 chip not supported
Kirby Super Star    SA-1 chip not supported
Kirby's Dream Land 3    SA-1 chip not supported
Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajima    SA-1 chip not supported
Masters New: Haruka Naru Augusta 3    SA-1 chip not supported
Mega Man X2    CX4 chip not supported
Mega Man X3    CX4 chip not supported
Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge    OCB-1 chip not supported
Mini 4WD Shining Scorpion Let's & Go!!    SA-1 chip not supported
Momotaro Dentetsu Happy    SPC7110 chip not supported
Pebble Beach no Hotou: New Tournament Edition    SA-1 chip not supported
PGA European Tour    SA-1 chip not supported
PGA Tour '96    SA-1 chip not supported
Power Rangers Zeo: Battle Racers    SA-1 chip not supported
Powerslide    Super FX chip not supported
SD F-1 Grand Prix    SA-1 chip not supported
SD Gundam G NEXT    SA-1 chip not supported
SD Gundam GX    DSP3 chip not supported
Shin Shogi Club    SA-1 chip not supported
Shogi Saikyou    SA-1 chip not supported
Shogi Saikyou 2    SA-1 chip not supported
Star Fox / Starwing    Super FX chip not supported
Star Fox 2    Super FX chip not supported
Star Ocean    S-DD1 chip not supported, do a search for the neviksti expanded version
Street Fighter Alpha 2    S-DD1 chip not supported
Stunt Race FX    Super FX chip not supported
Super Bomberman Panic Bomber World    SA-1 chip not supported
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars    SA-1 chip not supported
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island    Super FX chip not supported
Super Power League 4    SPC7110 chip not supported
Super Robot Taisen Gaiden: Maso Kishin    SA-1 chip not supported
Top Gear 3000    DSP4 chip not supported
Vortex    Super FX chip not supported
Winter Gold / FX Skiing    Super FX chip not supported

Seriously though, that's a small list when you consider that the SNES had over 700 games and there are def less than 10 games on the above list that are worth anyone's time.

fginally, im pretty sure there's a ROM hack for Yopshi's Island which lowers the volume of the baby screams or removes them completely.. im sure ive read on some hacking forum years ago but i dont know if it was actually finished or released.

I looked into it a year or two ago. I believe it was as simple as changing one byte. BUT, I can't play it on my Powerpak because of the chip requirments (Super FX) and I hate using emulators for actual gameplay unless it's a system that I don't and will never own. So no Yoshi's Island for me.