News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Skies of Arcadia: Legends Maeson Released  (Read 23012 times)

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Skies of Arcadia: Legends Maeson Released
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 10:14:42 am »
Wow, this completely wasn't on my radar- I need to check this out!

Being one of my faves, something I've always wanted in SOA:L was the ability to insert the Dreamcast soundtrack into the Gamecube game. For my money, the DC score is infinitely superior to the GC one; the GC sound is definitely of a lower sound quality, and some of the instruments in different tracks are off pitch. The GC version does have obvious improvements, however, which is why it would be great to be able to hear the DC music with that version.

If it's feasible to replace the GC soundtrack with the DC version, that would be the best of both worlds to me; extra improved features of the GC version, plus the DC superior score. Maeson, is this doable from a coding perspective, or would it be a no-go? Perhaps you would consider adding it to your ROM Hack?

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 03:51:26 pm »
Well, I never tried to mess around with sound as I have no much info about it.

As far as I know, there is a folder named Sound, in which many, many files are stored with DSP format. There are one for the Left channel and another for the Right. There's also Samp and Info files. I found a Winamp Plugin that gives me the option to listen to the music and sound effects in these files.

I can tell you that most of the music is missing just by looking at the DSP files. Most of them are sound effects of different types.

I found four themes with that format, but they are all "the special music" like the intro theme or ending theme. And those sounds nicer than the usual music, which brings me to this (probably so logical that makes me look stupid) idea:

I think that most music is some sort of midi-esque affair. You have an info file that may store the information of each theme's composition, and a sample file with the instruments for each theme.

It would make sense as I remember the Maramba theme song having some of the instruments cut when you walk (Like if the cnannel for that instrument would be used for the footsteps sound effect or something). If the game had entire tracks that wouldn't be happening. I don't know how the original game did this (if they were sound tracks instead of these, I guess, sequenced formats).

All I know is that it's sadly beyond my abilities and knowledge. Even then, de GC version doesn't have much free space, and they altered the music for that reason, fitting both discs of the original release into one.

Maybe someone could try to improve the quality of the "midi" instruments or something..., or maybe trying to change these info+samp files for DSP files if the size problem could be solved (or if they had their quality lowered a little).

Sorry of not having a better response...
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

Fei Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 04:28:34 pm »
This is one of the best games of all time, i played it a ton in my Dc since it came out, and later on i bought Legends on Cube but one fatal flaw keeped me from beating it in this version always: the music, it has an strange bug that makes it dissappear certain parts of the songs and i cant stand it, is there a patch for fixing it?

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 05:29:09 pm »
So, it would seem the encounter rate hack depends on if I have a certain accessory equipped. I'm pretty much sacrificing an equipment slot for that part of the hack. I'll have to find a way to fix that. Hopefully it's not similar to how money and HP is handled.

Edit: How long until I can revive people in battle? It's getting annoying rebooting the game every time one person in my party dies.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:31:03 pm by xnamkcor »

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 04:37:58 am »
As I said, the effect of lowering encouter rates comes from an effect created by equipment. It's just how the White and Black Map works, I just added another one right from the start so the player could sail faster from point to point.

And you can change equipment in mid-battle, so you're really not sacrificing much. You enter a battle, you choose whatever you want to equip in the item menu, and it will change to that.

About reviving characters, if you have access to Silver Magic, train a little to get Risan at the very least. Fina starts with that spell. Items start to appear in shops after a story flag.

Also, if a character gets KO'ed, when you end the fight (Either by winning or by fleeing) that character will revive by himself with 1 hp.

You can even see him/her getting up at the end of the fight... It's the same as status effects.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:46:33 am by Maeson »
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 01:48:34 pm »
https://i.imgur.com/kVe3DKB.png

All that is missing is Grey, but I think we all know what color that is. I also fixed the part where I only swapped the Green and the Red to match the readme on one axis

Edit: Possible Spoilers. My favourite picture in the game so far...

http://i.imgur.com/oz2HZpd.png
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:55:54 pm by xnamkcor »

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 04:33:10 pm »
Well, I never tried to mess around with sound as I have no much info about it.

As far as I know, there is a folder named Sound, in which many, many files are stored with DSP format. There are one for the Left channel and another for the Right. There's also Samp and Info files. I found a Winamp Plugin that gives me the option to listen to the music and sound effects in these files.

I can tell you that most of the music is missing just by looking at the DSP files. Most of them are sound effects of different types.

I found four themes with that format, but they are all "the special music" like the intro theme or ending theme. And those sounds nicer than the usual music, which brings me to this (probably so logical that makes me look stupid) idea:

I think that most music is some sort of midi-esque affair. You have an info file that may store the information of each theme's composition, and a sample file with the instruments for each theme.

It would make sense as I remember the Maramba theme song having some of the instruments cut when you walk (Like if the cnannel for that instrument would be used for the footsteps sound effect or something). If the game had entire tracks that wouldn't be happening. I don't know how the original game did this (if they were sound tracks instead of these, I guess, sequenced formats).

All I know is that it's sadly beyond my abilities and knowledge. Even then, de GC version doesn't have much free space, and they altered the music for that reason, fitting both discs of the original release into one.

Maybe someone could try to improve the quality of the "midi" instruments or something..., or maybe trying to change these info+samp files for DSP files if the size problem could be solved (or if they had their quality lowered a little).

Sorry of not having a better response...

No, that was a great, very detailed answer- and thank you for that! Since what I proposed seems beyond the ROMhacking purview,  I guess I'll hold out hope that SEGA may release a PC port (as they did with Valkyria Chronicles)  that may have the superior DC OST included.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 07:51:05 pm »
No, that was a great, very detailed answer- and thank you for that! Since what I proposed seems beyond the ROMhacking purview,  I guess I'll hold out hope that SEGA may release a PC port (as they did with Valkyria Chronicles)  that may have the superior DC OST included.

I'm confident the entire reason they redid the composition of the music was because they could not port the music easily and it was easier just to arrange or make new original compositions using the Gamecube.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 03:54:40 am »
I still believe is because Skies of Arcaida is a 2CD game... Well, technically a 2 "GD" game. Dreamcast discs have a size of  around 1GB so they had around 2 GB to work with. And the GC version has a size of around 1.32 GB of a 1.35 mini-dvd.
Other Dreamcast to GC ports don't have these changes. Sonic Adventure games' music sound great, for example.

Even then, it has never been much a problem for me. The only time it bothered me was the example of Maramba, because it's very easy to notice, but meh. At least the GC version doesn't suffer slowdowns and has better load times and such, or the need to swap discs (as it wasn't just "insert disk 2 to continue", you would need to go back to 1 depending on what you wanted to do or if you forgot something).

Edit: Possible Spoilers. My favourite picture in the game so far...

http://i.imgur.com/oz2HZpd.png

Those moments are great! They get more and more silly, and always make me smile.

hollowaytape

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • The devil enjoys the grief
    • View Profile
    • 46 OkuMen
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2016, 03:55:35 pm »
I'm excited to check this out! SoA is one of my favorite games, so I'm excited someone tweaked it and made it harder. I can't wait to see what the new balance is like.
PC-98 Romhacker for 46 OkuMen. Finished E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution, Rusty, and CRW: Metal Jacket. Now working on Appareden.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2016, 12:23:23 pm »
On the note of audio compression, I've wondered if HDD loading on Wii could break the 1.35gb limit on GC discs. This way, a mod to import the DC audio into Legends (and expand the file size) would be practical.

jmjohnson85

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2016, 12:31:29 am »
Custom cover for Skies of Arcadia: Legends Maeson. I did not make this I just modified a random cover someone else put on the internet. I did make the "circular" orange logo though. I wonder if anyone can guess what it means... ;-)

This archive contains all the images ready to be dropped into the 'USB Loader GX' folder on your Wii SD card:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_I91seMKSViWmUtMHRlN1RLWDg

Thank you SO MUCH Maeson for all of your incredible hard work and diligence on this project. I have been hoping someone would come along and add a bit of a challenge to this game for many years. This brings back life to one of the most epic RPGs of all time. Excellent job.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2016, 03:32:55 am »
Uhm...wow. I never expected a comment like that, lol.

I'm very glad other people can enjoy it! Thank you for such nice words, although I don't think I deserve so much praise.

...Maybe the orange "circle" says Maeson? I mean, the N and O at the left could- wait! It's the Arcadian alphabet! That's pretty cool, I almost don't recognize it seen like that.

On the note of audio compression, I've wondered if HDD loading on Wii could break the 1.35gb limit on GC discs. This way, a mod to import the DC audio into Legends (and expand the file size) would be practical.

Well, I never thought of that. Maybe depends if the software  used to repack the ISO can still make a valid image larger than 1.35 GB.

Besides that, I know you can trim isos to reduce their size and most of the time the Wii can still read the games okay, but some  freeze at certain points, and others just stay in a black screen because that is not their original way of being, maybe increasing the size acts in a similar way?

Dr. Mel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2016, 10:51:59 am »
Hey, good work on the mod!

But I did encounter a freeze that I can't get past. It's with the turtle boss, Tortigar, in Mt. Kazai in Yafutoma. After inputting my party's actions, it just doesn't do anything. It's not locked, the idle animations still play, but nothing happens no matter how long I let it sit for.

I'm running the game on the current version of Dolphin on my PC, and the rest of the game and mod (so far) run perfectly for me. Hope I can get around this soon, I'm really enjoying my time with this mod...

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2016, 04:12:43 pm »
Well, that's not cool... Maybe it's a bug from Dolphin? I know there were problems with this game, at least some time ago.

I tested this four separate times (And each boss fightes three times each playthrough just in case) through Nintendont on a Wii, and never had that bug happen to me, not even once.

Sadly, my computer fucked up a week or so ago, and the laptop I have right now is garbage and I can't run Dolphin...

Wait, looking at this:

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-a-few-skies-of-arcadia-legends-issues-gc

I find weird how similar the effect on both bugs, the game doesn't freeze, but it just doesn't advance, characters keep doing the iddle animations and that's it.

There's another link there:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-gc-skies-of-arcadia-legends--21123

I hope this can help you...

Also, I'm glad you're having a good time... At least until this problem popped up.

Dr. Mel

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »
Hmmm, it may well be the case that Dolphin is causing the issues. Although the threads you (helpfully!) linked are from several years ago running on a much different version of the emulator, so it might be another issue entirely.

Worst case scenario, I can work my way back up to this fight on an unpatched version of the emulation and see if I get the same problem. I'll keep you posted.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2016, 04:36:01 pm »
If you want to save some time, you could make a backup of your save file from the modded game and use it, at least on real hardware (using real memory cards) saves are compatible both ways (Loading a mod save with an original version and viceversa).

If not I could try to change that fight, although I don't know if that would do anything and, as I said, I fought it quite a few times and never had that problem. I'm not an expert at all, but whenever a problem caused by my mod appeared in a fight, the game simply would freeze, for example trying to put enemies where they shouldn't be (As it would be trying to load something it was unable to access).

Dr. Mel

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2016, 09:54:27 pm »
So, I loaded the save I had before the boss fight with an unpatched version of the iso file and the fight went fine. I tried switching back to the patched version from a save state within the battle, but apparently that doesn't work, you have to load a save not a save state (maybe that's obvious, I dunno).

Anyway, I got past the Tortigar fight in the original version of the game, saved, then continued on with the patched version. Everything seems ok so far. I'll let you know if I get another lock-up like that again.

But while I have your attention, I may as well mention a couple little problems. Risan was modified to work 100% of the time, but it can still "miss". Also I seem to have infinite Curia crystals for some reason, the number on hand just never goes down. Neither of those things are big deals to me, though. At least I get to play the rest of your mod!

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2016, 03:24:46 am »
Do you still have a save file before the fight? I'll make an alternative patch  changing the Tortigar fight (Maybe Dolphin doesn't like the minions?).

I'll go and fix the Curia problem right away too.

I'll have it in a few minutes.

EDIT:

Here are the patches:

I made two, one that fixes the Curia Crystal problem, and changed Risan, I'll need to test it more. but I fear that the spell accuracy is hardcoded to the resurrection effect and it's not possible to have 100% chances.

The other patch has those changes plus removes the minions from the Tortigar Fight. If it's not that whats causing the problem I simply do not know what it is or if it's my fault, because I haven't changed anything else in that fight (Besides stats, and if those were the problem that bug would have appeared from the beginning, and sorry for repeating myself, I never experienced that on my multiple tests).

They are the entire mod with those added changes, not just the Risan, Curia and/or Tortigar changes.

Anyway, here they are:

EDITED: Nope, they are not here anymore. I updated the hack's RHDN page, please go there for the updated patches.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:26:23 am by Maeson »

Dr. Mel

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2016, 04:58:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

I did a mini-review of your work over on the Destructoid community blogs, if you're curious. I didn't get a chance to test out the hotfixes you posted on my setup, though.

https://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Dr+Mel/early-impressions-skies-of-arcadia-legends-maeson-difficulty-rebalancing-patch-372852.phtml#post