logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: Sappy refuses to work on Windows 10 (vbalCbEx6.ocx)  (Read 1545 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Sappy refuses to work on Windows 10 (vbalCbEx6.ocx)
« on: May 09, 2016, 01:40:37 pm »
Every time I try to boot up Sappy, I get this error message:

"Run-time error '339':
Component 'vbalCbEx6.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

The problem is that vbalCbEx6.ocx has been registered. Many, many times. For whatever dumbass reason, Sappy isn't recognizing that. I've tried every last solution I could find on the internet and none of them worked. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope now. What am I doing wrong? Will I have to give up GBA hacking on this computer?

Klarth

• View Profile
Re: Sappy refuses to work on Windows 10 (vbalCbEx6.ocx)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 02:08:23 pm »
VB6 runtimes are still officially supported on Windows 10, so it should run.

I would try to reinstall the VB6 runtimes altogether (don't just download vbalCbEx6.ocx from some shady site) or even try the VB6 Runtime Plus which -should- work.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 02:12:57 pm »
I've installed, separately, the official VB6 runtimes and the VB6 Runtime Plus, and I'm still getting the error message.

Klarth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 02:25:03 pm »
If nobody else can give specific help, then the only option is to use something like Dependency Walker and try to figure out the underlying cause. I'm not sure if it will work on Win10 as it is not explicitly mentioned in the compatibility list, but it also hasn't been maintained in some time. Maybe someone more involved in the Pokemon community will know how to fix this problem.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers' Nest
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 02:53:29 pm »
I remember a similar error with some Tomb Raider utility. The only solution was to register the ocx in an elevated command prompt (i.e. run cmd as administrator).
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 03:15:21 pm »
I remember a similar error with some Tomb Raider utility. The only solution was to register the ocx in an elevated command prompt (i.e. run cmd as administrator).

Tried that. Still doesn't work.

If nobody else can give specific help, then the only option is to use something like Dependency Walker and try to figure out the underlying cause. I'm not sure if it will work on Win10 as it is not explicitly mentioned in the compatibility list, but it also hasn't been maintained in some time. Maybe someone more involved in the Pokemon community will know how to fix this problem.

I'll give this a shot. Hopefully it'll have some results.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 08:08:20 pm »
So is vbalCbEx6.ocx in the same directory as the Sappy executable, or did you put it in SysWOW64?

In some situations like this I like to use Process Monitor from Sysinternals to view what files the application is trying to access before it gives up.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 08:12:22 pm »
It's in the Sappy directory, SysWOW64, and System32. It's been registered in both of the latter locations.

jasonz123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 05:38:56 pm »
I had the same issue. I Updated my runtimes and my error went away, but now Sappy doesn't open at all. I click and nothing happens

Sliver X

• Ex Cineribus Ignis Excitabitur
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 10:30:23 pm »
Coming from first hand experience in getting in-house legacy shitware at my job to work on Windows 10 I'd say MS "supporting" VB is a virtually non-existent thing.

In the cases I've dealt with, putting the OCX and DLL files supplied by the programs in SysWow64 (x64) or System32 then registering them from an elevated command prompt works 90% of the time. For the other 10% I have to fuck around with various Compatibility Mode flags to make them work in conjunction with that.

It's to the point where running VB shit is far easier by running it under a Linux VM in conjunction with Wine. Virtualbox is free for this purpose, as is Hyper-V if you're running Win10 Pro.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 11:49:19 pm »
IIRC Sappy has a whole bunch of modded versions.  I don't know if any of them fixed compatibility or what's the "latest" one out there.

If running it as admin and compatibility modes as well as what Silver X suggested doesn't work, I'd say run it in a virtual machine running Windows 7 or XP and see what happens.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 05:55:49 am »
Might as well bump this to say that I've still had absolutely no luck and that I've more or less resigned myself to the fact that GBA hacking is a lost cause on this computer unless I really, really want to be limited to the vanilla music. None of the modded versions work, they just give the same goddamn vbalCbEx6.ocx error. Running it as an admin doesn't work. Installing it directly through the Helmeted Rodent installer doesn't work. Basically, if there's a solution posted on the internet that has worked for another user, I have tried it, and it didn't work. Virtual machines are probably out since my computer is a laptop.

If anyone can offer any help at all, I'd be very grateful.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:07:12 am by Midna »

mz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 07:29:05 am »
Virtual machines are probably out since my computer is a laptop.
I've ran virtual machines even on laptops from 10 years ago, why are they out?

As long as you have more RAM than the amount you give to the guest system, you don't need anything else.
There has to be a better life.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 09:56:55 pm »
So, I downloaded "Sappy 2006" from http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/948/ , and install.txt says to get "sappy12.exe".

I Googled "sappy12.exe" and the first hit was http://feuniverse.us/t/sappy-working-version/153 , which kicks off with
Sappy often displays an error that it can't locate a file called "VbalCboEX6.ocx". This tutorial explains how to rectify this error.

Is this all stuff you've seen before..?

Also, I agree, there's nothing inherent in a laptop that should prevent you from running a virtual machine (especially for something like Win9x).

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 03:35:29 pm »
Yes, that's all stuff I've tried before to no success.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 10:10:57 pm »
Well, I ran Sappy12.exe from there (which actually appears to be Sappy 2006, so this is rather confusing) and installed it on Windows 7x64, and it started right up.  I don't know what else to tell you.  (I do note that the installer claims to have put the files in c:\windows\system32.)

Did you try Process Monitor as I suggested previously?

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 03:23:11 pm »
Figured I'd give the tutorial you linked to a shot just to see if it'd decide it actually wanted to work this time. Nope.

I do note that when I try installing it directly, the installer gives the message "Could not find symbol: DllRegisterServer". I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but there you go.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 12:57:03 am »
Yes, I also saw that message.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 01:23:59 am »
Then I guess I'm either going to have to run a virtual machine if I ever want any hope of using Sappy anymore, or I'm just screwed. I tried running Process Monitor on sappy.exe, but vbalCbEx6.ocx wasn't in the list and the program froze when I tried to analyze it in the hopes it would show up then.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 08:09:57 pm »
I tried running Process Monitor on sappy.exe, but vbalCbEx6.ocx wasn't in the list and the program froze when I tried to analyze it in the hopes it would show up then.
I don't understand what you tried to do, i.e. what you mean by "the list" and "analyze it".

Process Monitor might indeed start freezing up if you configure it to capture everything.  Generally, what I do in Process Monitor is first restrict it to file system activity.  Then I set up filters to exclude any normal background activity on the system (e.g. Exclude if Path ends with $Mft, $MftMirr, $LogFile, pagefile.sys, etc), a task made much simpler by first closing anything else running in the background.  Then I start capturing events, launch what I want to examine, and immediately stop capturing events after the program launches or I get an error message.  Simply launching sappy.exe resulted in the capture of some 2,000 events, so then I set up a Highlight filter for anything with a Path ending in .ocx.

Make sense?