News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SC4ED - Super Castlevania 4 Editor  (Read 26327 times)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: SC4ED - Super Castlevania 4 Editor
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2016, 11:02:21 am »
I don't knjow any other websites to host files to upload hacks to this site tho.

The Scratchpad (Right here on ROMhacking.net!)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2016, 11:21:01 am »
Ok, I never heard of that. Thanks for the info.

Also, my hack was approved last night but I accidently used the wrong unmodified ROM to make the patch, so for those patches to work you'd need a ROM that is already expanded. But I submitted a fix for it but it'll take a while for it to be approved. So don't download my patch unless you are willing to expand your ROM first in the editor.

May 28, 2016, 06:56:35 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2874/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:56:35 pm by MathUser2929 »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2016, 07:58:40 pm »
Can you possibly decensor this game. Put the crosses back in and such. Also have the dripping blood on the title screen by any chance.

I was just thinking, unless a person absolutely cannot stand the sight of kana and kanji there's really no reason to choose the US version over the JP version. With Castlevania the story is always going to be "It's been about 100 years. Dracula is back. It's time for you to bash him in the face with a whip" and the ending is always going to be "You win... for now..."
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2016, 08:37:13 pm »
The title screen and blood drippping would be hard to add back also. Also the subtle little graphics changes might be hard to find too. I plan on making a hack to restore the holy cross to blue palette if possible but I don't know what else to add to it. I am sure rhdn wouldn't accept a hack where that was the only change too.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2016, 09:02:25 pm »
The title screen and blood drippping would be hard to add back also. Also the subtle little graphics changes might be hard to find too. I plan on making a hack to restore the holy cross to blue palette if possible but I don't know what else to add to it. I am sure rhdn wouldn't accept a hack where that was the only change too.

The Cutting Room Floor lists (I assume) all of the differences if you need a good reference for things of this sort.

Super Castlevania IV - Regional Differences

Notice the tombstone says "DRACURA". LOL
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2016, 11:44:08 pm »
I don't plan on doing a regional port hack, but I'm updating my cv 1 and 3 hud and font hack. I'm porting the weapon and item sprites over from cv1 so far. After that I'll do 3, if there's any differences anyway. It's actually quite a bit of work. I found the graphics in cv4, but in the cv1 rom I can't find the sprites for the items so I have to port them over from a sprite sheet. Also, some of the graphics are too simple so I have to add shading to them. Otherwise they'd look too flat.

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2016, 12:33:17 am »
I had some time to work on the editor today.  Level dimensions are still a mystery.  I tried tracing 3 different levels (2 of which had 2+ scenes in Y dimension) t looked like there were 3 custom functions for mapping X/Y camera position to layout in WRAM.  Different constants in each function.  I'll keep looking at it, but if it ends up being custom code for each level with inline constants it may not be worth the effort.

Changes this version:
- Fixed most of the level graphics including getting the mode7 levels to display.  There are still some minor issues.
- Fixed a few emulator related bugs.  Camera doesn't shake anymore.
- Added ability to start at current level in the emulator using the hidden menu in the game.  It's a hack so you still have to go through the menus.  Also supported level change (L/R buttons) to change level in emulator.

I'll work on adding a scene editor next.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9gzQZCkH8qVHBOUnk0ZDd4OHc/view?usp=sharing

Here's a short video of the internal emulator playing in the editor.  It's more of a (fun) toy right now since you can't edit the levels yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9QLnubePVM

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2016, 08:50:48 pm »
Just curious, where are the palettes for special weapons and items? I'm making a hack to restore CV1 item sprites and am gonna work on the palette once I'm done porting over the sprites and updating them to 16-bits.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2016, 09:25:03 pm »
The palettes appear to start around 0x347E0. You can use Tile Molester (Codec: 15bpp BGR; Mode: 2-dimensional) to help locate the palettes you want to change:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2016, 03:15:43 pm »
Here's a couple pics from my CV1 item sprite ports.

I didn't change any palettes yet and I'm not sure if I'll figure out how to. But I tried to use colors that are appropriate for the sprite. Also note that the boomerang is almost a straight port. I tried adding details to it like the 16-bit sprite did but one of the palettes are too light so almost the whole thing looked white. But since it's supposed to be glowing from holy power it don't look that bad this way either.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2016, 04:26:41 pm »
I took another look today and found that the whip and sub-weapons all use the same palette (located at 0x348CC - 0x348EB).
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/32/ is a great utility for searching and editing SNES palettes.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2016, 05:19:22 pm »
Thanks that helps alot. I can just use the existing colors knowing they all share the same palette. I already used that info to make the holy cross blue using the blue from the holy water.

Edit:If anyone wants to try out the CV1 version with the correct palette and cv1 items try this link:

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/SuperCVIV(CV1Font-Items)1-1.zip

When I finish CV3 I'll update my hack page. But that'll be a while yet.

June 01, 2016, 03:52:01 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Edit: Can you add a undo button. usefull if someone is using your palette editor and don't know what he changed.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:52:02 pm by MathUser2929 »

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2016, 12:04:47 am »
I hacked in a temporary scene (256x256) editor today that allows replacement of blocks (32x32) in the existing scenes.  It only works on expanded ROM to avoid having to compress and fit back into the original space.  I tested it by adding an additional walkway because I hate those crumbling blocks in the first level.  Seems to work as expected (see below).  BG1 can also be displayed in the editor now and I cleaned up some dumb things in the rendering code so the larger levels load much faster.  Once I clean up the changes I'll post a new version of the editor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br2yHtvGrkM

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:14:21 am by RedGuy »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2016, 03:48:16 am »
Nice!! This editor has been coming along like a bat outta hell!
I'm literally tingling to be able to start working with this baby.

I take it the stairs are not separate objects like in the NES games?
Are the stairs hardcoded to the 32x32 blocks or are they perhaps hardcoded to the 8x8 tiles themselves?
Or, hope of hopes, they are simply a tile attribute?

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2016, 08:05:12 am »
Make sure you add the undo button I requested in my last post. Maybe have it do a couple undos. Will it allow you to edit cutscenes too? I mean like the intro and ending? I don't need to anymore, but being able to edit the palette would have been useful in my hack.

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2016, 03:51:48 pm »
I take it the stairs are not separate objects like in the NES games?
Are the stairs hardcoded to the 32x32 blocks or are they perhaps hardcoded to the 8x8 tiles themselves?
Or, hope of hopes, they are simply a tile attribute?

As far as I can tell all collisions (including stairs) are stored for each of the 16 tiles in every 32x32 block (4x4 tiles).  So a level could mark every tile with a unique collision property.  I'm certain it's per tile, but what I haven't looked into is the source of the data for the collison table in RAM at 7E:4000.  I think the data is associated with the block which means the same tile can have a different collision property based on which block it's in.

Scratch that.  It's per tile, but each level has a table in ROM that says all tiles in a range are a certain collision type.  So the tileId (tile character number referred to by the tile map) along with the table tell you if it's a step, a wall, or empty space.

Make sure you add the undo button I requested in my last post. Maybe have it do a couple undos. Will it allow you to edit cutscenes too? I mean like the intro and ending? I don't need to anymore, but being able to edit the palette would have been useful in my hack.

I'd like to have an undo, but not sure how to easily add it so it's really low on the list of things to do.  Don't expect it any time soon.  I don't plan on supporting editing of cutscenes unless you mean just decompressing the graphics.  Things I would like to add:

scene/block editing
event trigger/object display
event trigger editing and placement
collision display/editing

Anything missing from the list is not being considered right now.  And the stuff on that list is going to take weeks to figure out.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 09:09:57 pm by RedGuy »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2016, 03:57:01 pm »
I didn't really mean anything like event editing in the cutscenes. I just meant display the cutscene and let you use the palette and tile editors. If you didnt decompress those graphics you should do that too.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2016, 12:07:15 pm »
Things I would like to add:

scene/block editing
event trigger/object display
event trigger editing and placement
collision display/editing

Anything missing from the list is not being considered right now.  And the stuff on that list is going to take weeks to figure out.

Take all the time you need.  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2016, 09:37:03 pm »
Here's a new version.  There's also a short youtube video where I add in some newly designed blocks to the first level.  This is still a big hack so I recommend just testing and not trusting it to design anything major.  Old versions of the expanded rom won't be compatible with editing scenes/blocks/tiles.  You need to expand an unexpanded ROM to edit the levels.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9gzQZCkH8qMWtscVlvRDl1aWM/view?usp=sharing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-F_z1q2nRw

They compressed larger levels in a way where not all the scene data is in one chunk.  That means it's not possible to edit all scenes right now as they aren't represented in the ROM.  Eventually, the existing smaller regions will get combined with what's probably going to be $40 total scenes in one large chunk of data.  Not all levels will be able to use all of this as the level dimensions seem to be a function of value in memory that is used as an index into a jump table.  I haven't figured out how it works - it may be as simple as figuring out what level sizes each byte value corresponds to and knowing that in the editor.

- Added scene, block, and tile editor (requires expanded ROM)
- Fixed expanded ROM so it can be re-opened in the editor with correct uncompressed region parsing.
- Fixed slow downs with loading larger levels.
- Added BG1 support.  Hit 'b' to toggle between BG0 and BG1.

I also tried adding a path to get to valid scenes that were otherwise unreachable in level 8.  This means the addressing to compute the scene for each level is a function of the X/Y camera position used along with the level width.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvvUwLUOAm0
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:13:24 am by RedGuy »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2016, 10:26:29 pm »
So are you saying my patch is no longer compatible with your editor. Sad. I knew that could happen tho. I ain't hacking it all over again just to make it compatible with your editor tho.

Edit: Just watched the videos. That looks really nice. I like how you invented a new thing with the zigzagging stairs.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:35:29 pm by MathUser2929 »