News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SC4ED - Super Castlevania 4 Editor  (Read 29419 times)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: SC4ED - Super Castlevania 4 Editor
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 04:53:20 pm »
https://tcrf.net/Super_Castlevania_IV

There's actually a  level select for this game. You can put in a bunch of codes to enable it again. Thought you might wanna know that to make testing the game easier.

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2016, 11:01:54 pm »
Thanks.  That will help.  I've been hacking the RAM between levels to get it to go a different stage, but you have to do it at the right time or it won't work.

Here's an updated version with a few more things decompressed:
- Simon
- Menus
- Intro cutscene
- Weapons/hearts/items

I think the only thing missing from being decompressed is the stage cutscenes between certain levels, bosses (assuming they are compressed), and anything level-specific.  The expanded ROM is now over 2MB and will probably grow slowly as I move things around and figure out events.  I'm going to work on figuring out more of the level information now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9gzQZCkH8qNFN3OG5JeWtVZVk/view?usp=sharing

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2016, 08:44:20 am »
Awesome. It's great that the graphics are aligned. I missed your question earlier, but yes, that is a great help.
I was wondering about the old compressed data. Is that still present or is it overwritten for free space?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:44:38 am by Vanya »

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2016, 09:08:48 am »
I left all the original compressed data untouched.  I could overwrite it with $FF to make room for other changes.  The only problem with doing that is I'll have to be 100% sure it isn't used anymore.  The same compressed region is often pointed to multiple times and not all of the pointers to compressed data have been updated, yet.

Which reminds me - the decompressed regions are tracked when the ROM is being expanded and only decompressed once.  For example, if an enemy appears in different levels it will only get decompressed with the first level and the second level will point to the same decompressed address.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2016, 09:34:19 am »
Interesting info, potentially someone could make  a hack so you have the same status bar as CV 1-3. Always kinda hated the new letters. Do you plan on making a palette editor anytime soon so I can make such a hack?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:43:17 am by MathUser2929 »

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2016, 12:01:00 pm »
In b4 learn and never bring it up again.

I cannot make sense of this and it has left me utterly confused.

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2016, 12:51:37 pm »
Interesting info, potentially someone could make  a hack so you have the same status bar as CV 1-3. Always kinda hated the new letters. Do you plan on making a palette editor anytime soon so I can make such a hack?

I'll try adding a palette editor next.  The editor already knows about several of the palettes in order to display the background tiles.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2016, 01:14:39 pm »
I cannot make sense of this and it has left me utterly confused.

I assumed the guy was gonna continue being unhelpful and tell me to learn how to do that sort of hacking myself and never bring up that feature in this thread again. You know, to shut me up.

Also, I look forward to the palette editor.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2016, 09:54:00 am »
I left all the original compressed data untouched.  I could overwrite it with $FF to make room for other changes.  The only problem with doing that is I'll have to be 100% sure it isn't used anymore.  The same compressed region is often pointed to multiple times and not all of the pointers to compressed data have been updated, yet.

Which reminds me - the decompressed regions are tracked when the ROM is being expanded and only decompressed once.  For example, if an enemy appears in different levels it will only get decompressed with the first level and the second level will point to the same decompressed address.

Yeah, after the whole decompression thing is done and you're sure the original data is fully unused I'd appreciate an option to FF-out the old data.
Extra space for ASM would be really helpful.

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2016, 10:08:50 am »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9gzQZCkH8qWWZ2b2FseXNTSVk/view?usp=sharing

The palette editor now works.  Editor->Palette editor.  Double click on a palette item to change it.  The first 16 colors seems to correspond to the status bar/font palette that is used across all levels and in menus.  The other rows are level related and will change as you scroll through the levels.  Not all of the palette items are editable, yet.  You'll have to experiment to see which entries change what colors in the game.

I also decompressed some of the bosses and intermediate cutscenes.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:10:50 pm by RedGuy »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2016, 12:26:38 pm »
I went right to work at it and....

I dunno if there is anything you can do about this but every other letter and number seems to be stacked on each other or left out entirely.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2016, 03:24:30 pm »
I dunno if there is anything you can do about this but every other letter and number seems to be stacked on each other or left out entirely.

That may be a case of you having YY-CHR set on the wrong graphics format. Try looking at those graphics again on the 2BPP GB setting. Quite often fonts are in that format instead of the usual 4BPP SNES.

EDIT: BTW, if I haven't mentioned it before, I continue to be very excited about this. Castlevania is one of my all time fav series and I've been wanting to do a hack of this game for a long time but knowing nothing about compression it was off limits. I can't wait 'til this is done. I'm already starting to brainstorm.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:48:49 pm by SunGodPortal »
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2016, 04:03:06 pm »
No mode in my version of YY-CHR is working to show them. Do I need a certain version of YY-CHR?

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2016, 04:42:05 pm »
They may have put the "odd" font tiles in a different compressed chunk of data that I missed.  I'll take a look at it later today.

Unfortunately, I don't have a systematic way of finding compressed data right now.  I just go to a point in the game that decompresses stuff and trace it.  After doing that several times now I can see a lot of non-level specific stuff ends up being LDAs with a constant offset that then call the decompression code.  The addresses are all $81:XXXX.  So I may be able to change the code to walk across most (all?) of that bank to decompress everything not related to levels.  The level-specific stuff is stored at 4-5 different $86:XXXX addresses which use X (2 * current level number) as an offset.  Boss data (except dracula?) are at $81:XXXX which use X (2 * boss number?) as an offset.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:37:46 am by RedGuy »

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2016, 05:00:09 pm »
2bpp GB (YY-CHAR) / 2bpp planar, 1-dimensional (Tile Molester) is quite often the format for SNES fonts. SC4 is no exception:

The "odd" characters are right there, so you're good on the font RedGuy.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2016, 07:38:25 pm »
I got it working. The first hack is almost done, just gotta change the palette.

I did the first hack. I still gotta test it but it looks like the palette for the font is shared in multiple place so I might not have to edit that part any more. Here's a pic:

Here's a pic to compare it to.

Here's a pic of the cv 3 hack.

I am submitting the hack tonight so when it gets accepted I'll share the dl link.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 12:37:24 am by MathUser2929 »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2016, 11:35:16 pm »
Here's a pic of the cv 3 hack.

FYI: The last pic wasn't viewable to me at first because my browser said it was being hosted by a known attack site or some shit. I was eventually able to view it though. I personally don't care for it but that's prob just because my favorite color is green.
 :P
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 11:57:06 pm by SunGodPortal »
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2016, 12:14:36 am »
I honestly don't know if zebucket got attacked or not. It gave me a warning when I first went there too. I don't knjow any other websites to host files to upload hacks to this site tho. Once the pics are on a hack page tho, people will be able to see them without taking any chances. But remember, rhdn was once flagged as a trojan site by a antivirus too so. Never know if it's a false flag.

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2016, 05:54:02 am »
Can you possibly decensor this game. Put the crosses back in and such. Also have the dripping blood on the title screen by any chance.

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2016, 08:37:26 am »
I don't have time to work on swapping the graphics/sound/palette regional differences, but other people are welcome to do so.  I added some limited JP cart support for expansion to the version below.  A lot of the offsets moved.

- Added basic JP cart support.  Most of the similar graphics regions to the US cart are decompressed.
- Added font display/basic info window.
- Added yellow rectangle showing current camera lock during internal emulator (press 'T')

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9gzQZCkH8qUERtM2FwbFNyY3c/view?usp=sharing