News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What's your favourite bad game?  (Read 9209 times)

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favourite bad game?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 12:56:23 pm »
In the 2nd camp, I actually liked Deadly Towers, even though most people seem to despise it.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 06:43:40 pm »
Bart vs The Space Mutants is another good/bad game. You've got special glasses that allow you to see who's really aliens like in They Live.

Bart vs The Space Mutants (NES)
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 02:31:25 pm »
Where's Waldo (NES)

Spent much of 1992 trying to discern Waldo's mangled and miscolored pixels. Watching people desperately flounder, as well as the shock of how bad Waldo appeared on screen when you did find him, were sheer entertainment.

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 04:41:28 pm »
Psycho Dream. Probably the weirdest game on that system.

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 05:00:56 pm »
Super Pitfall, but MagMax definitely gets an honorable mention!

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 05:29:27 pm »
I liked Deadly Towers and Time Lord back in the day. But I didn't have a lot of games, so I played what I had whether it was good or not.
I beat em both too.

I found that the trick to staying alive in Time Lord was to keep jumping. Seriously, never stop jumping. Ever. I'd hold down the turbo A and B buttons through the entire game, hopping and slashing my way to victory.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 06:02:34 pm »
Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel was pretty fun. When I first heard the name I was thinking it was gonna be a WWII flying game with rodents. Sadly it didn't live up to my initial hopes, but it's an alright generic platformer.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 07:31:19 pm »
If the U.S. version of 7th Saga counts, i'm going with that one. The music is great, and I love the encounter system, but the damn thing is broken.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 12:49:11 am »
I've heard of Lagoon called a bad game, but I can't really agree with that. At worst it's generic and kinda harder than it needs to be.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 12:53:27 am »
The X68000 version of Lagoon stomps mud holes in the SNES version. Just saying. ;)
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 01:04:02 am »
Possibly, never played it. Regardless, even if it does, Lagoon ain't bad. It's just underwhelming.

Reminds me of Beyond The Beyond. It's not hard to find lists on the net and people claiming it's an awful RPG. It's not. It's boring and pointless.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 11:56:21 am »
I really enjoy a multiplayer bout of Flag Capture for the 2600. I think I had it on a compilation or maybe on an emulator disc for Dreamcast or something in uni.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 07:39:58 pm »
Lagoon's actually a pretty fun game.  Generic, but definitely not bad by really any means.

The X68000 version is actually radically different from the SNES version.  Thor, from what I've seen, is basically the big bad villain in that version.  I wish there was a full blown English transcript of the X68000 version along with the cut scene dialogue, maybe a playthrough with translation.  I'd love to see the total story difference.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

AcidTango

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2016, 05:45:21 pm »
Can't think of any to be honest.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2016, 06:25:19 pm »

I'm gonna have to return to mention Dark Law: Meaning of Death for the SNES. I've had a sort of love-hate relationship with this game for the past few years. Every few months or so I pick it back up and give it another try only to be crushed by the cruel and unforgiving level of difficulty. Normally I might just pass on a game when this factor is so extreme but the story, graphics and music create such a cool atmosphere that I just can't accept the possibility of never finishing it. I MUST see more.

Last night I decided to take matters into my own hands. In the past I had no luck finding cheat codes and even the walkthrough I found wasn't enough to help tip the scales. This game is a sadistic execution where you die again and again. Because of the gameplay mechanics it is a SLOW death. To make matters worse, it appears that some of the scenarios cannot be replayed if you fail (!). Hacking the game itself seemed like a lot of unnecessary work so I started hacking/documenting the save file. So far I've got the character names, HP, MP and general stats figured out. I also made a table in case I want to change the names of my party members. I've started on the items and money but there's still some work to do there.

So yeah, I don't think beating this game without cheating is a reasonable expectation. Therefore, this is a bad game.

Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 11:04:35 am »
For me, that would be Mickey Mania, Maui Mallard, and Mr. Nutz.
I somehow finished them despite the horrendous balance and physics.

Last night I decided to take matters into my own hands. In the past I had no luck finding cheat codes and even the walkthrough I found wasn't enough to help tip the scales. This game is a sadistic execution where you die again and again. Because of the gameplay mechanics it is a SLOW death. To make matters worse, it appears that some of the scenarios cannot be replayed if you fail (!). Hacking the game itself seemed like a lot of unnecessary work so I started hacking/documenting the save file. So far I've got the character names, HP, MP and general stats figured out. I also made a table in case I want to change the names of my party members. I've started on the items and money but there's still some work to do there.

So yeah, I don't think beating this game without cheating is a reasonable expectation. Therefore, this is a bad game.

You might find this interesting.
And with Geiger's Snes9X you could do write breakpoints on every aspect you have an issue with, then tamper with the programming to your liking. For example, I replayed the first two SFC Ganbare Goemon games with the weapon loss mechanic modded out :P

And please do share whatever you found on datacrystal.
Trying to map RAM and SRAM is quite the rewarding experience (with SRAM though I just compare files and corrupt stuff to figure everything out since I have no idea how to have a breakpoint on the SRAM... or VRAM for that matter). You learn so many new things... I'd say it's second only to disassemblies.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2016, 11:22:58 am »
(with SRAM though I just compare files and corrupt stuff to figure everything out since I have no idea how to have a breakpoint on the SRAM... or VRAM for that matter).

SRAM seems to be in the memory map though?

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 01:26:41 pm »
Possibly, never played it. Regardless, even if it does, Lagoon ain't bad. It's just underwhelming.

Reminds me of Beyond The Beyond. It's not hard to find lists on the net and people claiming it's an awful RPG. It's not. It's boring and pointless.

I remember playing Beyond the Beyond way back in the day. Music was alright, had a nice SNES asthetic, but the gameplay was soooooo sloooooow. Isn't it also basically the precursor to the Golden Sun games?
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2016, 10:16:23 pm »
I've played a lot of Dragon Ball Z Buu Yuu Retsuden for the Mega Drive. I used to own a cart I plucked off ebay way back when I was a little baby kid (17 I think I was).

It's not gonna give Street Fighter 2 any runs for its money in terms of gameplay balance or technique (Charge up, blast the other guy, block if he blasts you [this last bit is tricky]). I dunno, maybe I just totally suck at the game and don't know what the heck I'm talking about, but I remember finding the move lists in the game options, so I think I got pretty good at it at some point or another.

I don't really remember, it's been many years and straight shots of whiskey since then.
Yamero~~!

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2016, 11:27:31 pm »
I remember playing Beyond the Beyond way back in the day. Music was alright, had a nice SNES asthetic, but the gameplay was soooooo sloooooow. Isn't it also basically the precursor to the Golden Sun games?

It looks and plays fairly similar, at least.