News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: 1st Person NES RPG Dungeon Crawler Shadow Brain Translated  (Read 8359 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

Today aishsha and Pennywise present to the community yet another NES RPG translation for your consideration. The game is called Shadow Brain and it is a 1st person RPG dungeon crawler. Stylistically it looks a lot like Megami Tensei, but it's not as terrible and one might dare say is better. Anyhow, it's a futuristic sci-fi RPG and there's not too many of those on the NES.

The game is noteworthy for coming with a VHS tape that provided pretty much all of the backstory for the game. We've included a translation of the VHS in the archive. There is a digital copy of the video floating around the internet, but it's terrible quality. We'd be interesting in obtaining the VHS, ripping the VHS and adding subtitles to it. The only problem is that we have no means to rip the VHS. If someone is willing to get a high-quality rip of the VHS, this side project could get off the ground.

It's also noteworthy for having a JPOP connection with the band Alfee, who contributed a song to the OST and maybe might have had a hand in the game's creation. But who really knows...

Anyhow, work on the project probably started around 2014 by aishsha after years of procrastination on it. Sometime later, the files were passed of to Pennywise and he finally finished it in 2016. A lot of hard work went into this translation as usual and we believe the quality shows. A big thanks for Ryusui's help in translating the game. We'd also like the testers for their help in discovering our errors and helping us to polish the game.

P.S.
We've got quite a few scanned manuals that could use a photoshop wiz.

P.S.S.
Pro-bono website design?

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

mikeprado30

• View Profile
So, the NES catalog is near to be fully translated  :beer:

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Is this the video you are referring to? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EC7RQOkanU

dongle

• View Profile
I was referred here from another forum. I have a Panasonic AG-1980, a good TBC, and a Blackmagic Design video capture device and volunteer to do a high quality VHS rip.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
I was referred here from another forum. I have a Panasonic AG-1980, a good TBC, and a Blackmagic Design video capture device and volunteer to do a high quality VHS rip.
That'd be great if we had that tape, which we don't :)))

We ain't trying to cover that catalogue and never intended so. Moreover, there already were (and most likely will be) retranslations of some specific games to make them as they were supposed to be and not to cover another gap no matter what.

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
That'd be great if we had that tape, which we don't :)
Is this it?
I wouldn't mind donating a bit to getting this VHS ripped if possible, but I don't get paid for 2 more weeks  :(

This game looks pretty good, I always thought including movies with games was cool.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
Is this it?
I wouldn't mind donating a bit to getting this VHS ripped if possible, but I don't get paid for 2 more weeks  :(

This game looks pretty good, I always thought including movies with games was cool.
Yeah, that's the one.

Arcane Studios Dredge

• Aspiring Romhacker of the Bloodline
    • View Profile
That Alfee song in the game and in the OST is called Shadow of Kingdom.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:08:21 am by Arcane Studios Dredge »
We've gotta move these refrigerators,
We've gotta move these colour TV's!

goldendark007

• View Profile
    • Team Chris!
If no one gets on it I'll buy a copy in two weeks with the vhs and rip it. Pretty good with editing/subtitle software

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
For those interested, I created a FONT improvement patch for those who would like to use it on a patched ROM with the translation.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2013/

resq

• View Profile
Can anybody get the patch to work? I couldn't get it to work.

I used beat to apply the patch onto a rom I found on some dope website but it says patching failed. I tried the roms and the J rom works and the failed patched rom - the translated words work somewhat in the text dialogue but some of the text is ones and zeroes and the character graphics are also jumbled up in the first pink character you encounter.

I also tried the alternate dump rom from that same website. I'm probably just doing something wrong. .
Come with me if you want to live.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Kind of curious what the "Pro-bono website design?" part of the announcement is for. I've got a little bit of free time coming up, so I might be able to contribute in that regard.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
A lot of people seem to have problems with beat, so I've detailed in the readme an alternative.

Well, I would like a new website for my translations to be built from the ground up. It would be cool to have a modern website design to present the work that I do. Maybe someone who has enjoyed one of my many translations would graciously donate their time to such an endeavor. I do realize it is a fair bit to ask as well, but one can hope. If not, RHDN is basically my website for projects. So I don't exactly need a new site.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
A lot of people seem to have problems with beat, so I've detailed in the readme an alternative.

Well, I would like a new website for my translations to be built from the ground up. It would be cool to have a modern website design to present the work that I do. Maybe someone who has enjoyed one of my many translations would graciously donate their time to such an endeavor. I do realize it is a fair bit to ask as well, but one can hope. If not, RHDN is basically my website for projects. So I don't exactly need a new site.
Same here. Either RHDN or my blog/your website. I have my own and even designed already, but I can't get enough time to make it working to the fullest capacity.

April 29, 2016, 08:58:37 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
If no one gets on it I'll buy a copy in two weeks with the vhs and rip it. Pretty good with editing/subtitle software
As a collector, I will probably buy it as well eventually but not anytime soon. Complete copy is way too expensive.

resq

• View Profile
Well I don't know what hapeend but it's working now. Still said patch failed but the game works and it's in English. I have no idea what's going on.

The game looks pretty darn good. I like Sci-fi stuff so I'm a little interested in this.

Thanks a lot to the people who translated this. The readme says it was a difficult job.
Come with me if you want to live.

meunierd

• View Profile
Hey Pennywise, aishsha,

I work full time in web development. If either of you need a hand with your websites, I'd be more than happy to as a thank you for all the awesome work you've done! Please PM me if there's anything you need.

murve33

• View Profile
Hey Pennywise/Aishsha,

What needs to be done with the manuals? I should be decent enough at Photoshop to tackle the task. Send me a PM if you're interested.

releasethedogs

• View Profile

We still need the Monster Maker games translated...

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
We still need the Monster Maker games translated...
Errr... there are still many games to be done there or redone. There's only one MM game on NES, though, and it's more like a spinoff, as far as I recall...

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
Errr... there are still many games to be done there or redone. There's only one MM game on NES, though, and it's more like a spinoff, as far as I recall...

I can only think of 2 MM games off the cuff... one is available on NES, the other one on SNES. There are very likely more of them. Someone is working on the SNES one IIRC.