News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI advance - Sound restoration has been upgraded  (Read 19170 times)

lorywindrunner

• View Profile
What I mean is that's how they're supposed to sound (sound effects from the SNES version), if you don't like that you're free to play the unpatched game - nobody forces you to use my patch !

Im not sure I understand the attack noises dont sound like that in the snes version or the gba version. They sound heavily distorted now.

Im definitely not complaining about the patch i used a previous version to play the whole game and it was fantastic, these didn't sound like this before.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:07:43 am by lorywindrunner »

Bregalad

• View Profile
Im not sure I understand the attack noises dont sound like that in the snes version or the gba version. They sound heavily distorted now.
No, the attack doesn't sound like that because of the documented bug. Punches sounds however like that. Or are you talking about the fact that the GBA noise generator is different from the SNES noise generator? Yes they are, but I didn't though the difference was so major than anybody complained.

I'm definitely not complaining about the patch i used a previous version to play the whole game and it was fantastic, these didn't sound like this before.
The previous version only altered a couple of sound effects, this version supposedly replace them with the SNES version's sound effects.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
I just finished the game with your sound restoration applied.
Wonderful :)

Just one little thing I wanted to point out.
The song "Searching for Friends" has a brief screeching sound (starting at 2:09:05 in the video). The Sound Restoration somehow amplifies that screeching sound a little bit and it certainly pops out from the rest of the song and it turns out to be somewhat irritating.

Here's an SNES playthrough for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxRmvjAo3vo

Out of that, I didn't have any other issues with it. :)

PS: I played the European patch with the Orchestra, if that helps.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
I just finished the game with your sound restoration applied.
Wonderful :)

Just one little thing I wanted to point out.
The song "Searching for Friends" has a brief screeching sound (starting at 2:09:05 in the video). The Sound Restoration somehow amplifies that screeching sound a little bit and it certainly pops out from the rest of the song and it turns out to be somewhat irritating.

Here's an SNES playthrough for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxRmvjAo3vo

Out of that, I didn't have any other issues with it. :)

PS: I played the European patch with the Orchestra, if that helps.

There is a drum loop that plays throughout "Searching For Friends." It sounds like a cymbal that has been sampled, looped, and run through a phase shifter effect.

That thing?
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
I don't know how to explain it.
In this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx-BhyAkDdY

The sound I mention starts at 0:07 and stops at 0:41.
It falls along with the hi hat cymbals, and you can hear it at the start of each compass as a whole note (4/4) from 0:07 until 0:41.
It sounds like a little screech, like that of a puppy crying or something. :P

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Yeah that's a cymbal hit over and over

"Tee tee tee tee tee"

And a phase shifter is like turning down the bass and turning up the treble at the same time, then reversed, over and over in a cycle. It makes a "sheeeeee-ooooooo-eeeee-oooo" sound.

You're saying the initial cymbal hit is producing a note, like a piano or guitar would, that is unpleasant and out of key with the rest of the piece, not to mention very different from the SNES version?

I'll load up a save and see if my emu knows what you're talking about.

Edit: I hear it. The emulator I used was the mGBA core on Retroarch version 1.3.2.

It is making a noise that is not present in the SNES version so far as I know, yes.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:03:48 pm by Spooniest »
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
You're saying the initial cymbal hit is producing a note, like a piano or guitar would, that is unpleasant and out of key with the rest of the piece, not to mention very different from the SNES version?

I'll load up a save and see if my emu knows what you're talking about.

Edit: I hear it. The emulator I used was the mGBA core on Retroarch version 1.3.2.

It is making a noise that is not present in the SNES version so far as I know, yes.
Yes!
That's the one!
I get it like some sort of "Wooo-eeeee-ooooo" kind of sound.
Glad to know it's not just me. :)

I was starting to think I patched the ROM in an odd way or something, because that particular instrument sounds way off and irritating.
Lowering the volume a bit on that one shall be enough, as it really pops above the rest of the instruments.