News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)  (Read 97222 times)

macbee

• View Profile
    • MCBRemakes
Re: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)
« Reply #320 on: August 31, 2016, 08:39:21 am »
My pleasure!

Once again it's nice to see justice being done to Super Pitfall. It's a very good game trashed by poor execution of the original team.
Now that it's fixed I'm sure that many people will give it a second chance.

And it's impressive indeed to realize how far this project went - especially because it's Nesrocks' first hack.
He's an excellent artist, designer and programmer. Super Pitfall was the second NES cart I ever had (and I played it for countless hours when I was a kid) - so I'm familiar enough with this game to assure this hack is a work of affection and respect to the original (despite all flaws made by Micronics) and to the Pitfall franchise itself.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:00:20 pm by macbee »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #321 on: August 31, 2016, 09:15:47 am »
Nothing excites me more than when a talent in the RH community announces the move to entirely original work. I anxiously await your PC game as well.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #322 on: August 31, 2016, 10:12:18 am »
Thanks guys! Making this hack was a lot of fun.

cospefogo: Sorry, I have never played any ultima. My next hack (if I do one) will probably be for a game that I have played a lot.

protomank

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 01, 2016, 07:52:03 am »
Wow, I just feel honored I could help out testing this game. It is a masterpiece that should be studied int he future as an example on how (well) a rom hack can be done. I still can't believe it saves, and saves much like a modern-day game.

Now, about Ultima, I never played it, even if my friend cospefogo told me it is a great game, just because of the graphics. I know, I know, I should not judge by only graphics, but could not avoid comparing it to Final Fantasy on the NES (people nowadays take for granted nice graphics in JRPGs, but when FF1 was released, it was really amazing).

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 01, 2016, 11:48:56 am »
Wow, I just feel honored I could help out testing this game. It is a masterpiece that should be studied int he future as an example on how (well) a rom hack can be done. I still can't believe it saves, and saves much like a modern-day game.

Now, about Ultima, I never played it, even if my friend cospefogo told me it is a great game, just because of the graphics. I know, I know, I should not judge by only graphics, but could not avoid comparing it to Final Fantasy on the NES (people nowadays take for granted nice graphics in JRPGs, but when FF1 was released, it was really amazing).

The Ultima games are one of the best RPGs out there. Yes, the graphics on the early ones arent the best, but if you look past them, youll find a rich storyline and awesome game play that even today's games cant truly beat. They are real masterpieces.

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #325 on: September 01, 2016, 11:56:25 am »
The Ultima games are one of the best RPGs out there. Yes, the graphics on the early ones arent the best, but if you look past them, youll find a rich storyline and awesome game play that even today's games cant truly beat. They are real masterpieces.

Specially Ultima IV.
The best, ever.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

protomank

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 01, 2016, 12:22:54 pm »
I've played Pagan, a masterpiece. Tried 7 and 6, but could not get into it, never wanted to look back ;)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #327 on: September 04, 2016, 02:57:47 pm »
I'll release the hack tomorrow, guys, everything seems to be finished and I've fixed the bugs that I wanted to fix.
The hack is confirmed to work on pc emulators fceux, nintendulator, nestopia and punes. Also on wii emulator fceux. And also on hardware everdrive on a real NES.

I've managed to redo the ending properly. Won't post screenshots here though.  :crazy:

The zip will include both english and portuguese versions. Just choose which ips to use when patching.
I'll submit the hack today here at RHDN, but since it is a delayed process, please go to my site to get it in the mean time (tomorrow!).

Also, look what arrived in the mail just in time:

If I scan the whole manual would someone please do a full literal translation to english? I couldn't find the manual anywhere on the net, even on japanese sites, which is why I bought this. I know a bit of japanese, but someone who's really fluent could translate it much faster and more accurately.

As you can see on the famicom version's back boxart, it seems like the darkworld enemies are undead with long sleeves, as I've always pictured them:

The manual calls them "underground people gaia" and "underground people gnome" though.
So, some of you won't like it, but I've changed them one last time. Opinion was diverse anyway, so I went with what I felt that worked: I've reinserted the richer animation and I've changed the masked man to a zombie type to avoid any confusion with gnomes.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #328 on: September 04, 2016, 03:34:32 pm »
Looking forward to playing this, it'll have to be when I come back from New York tomorrow. :beer:

Da_GPer

• View Profile

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #330 on: September 04, 2016, 07:41:16 pm »
Look what I found!

http://www.gamesdatabase.org//Media/SYSTEM/Nintendo_NES/manual/Formated/Super_Pitfall_-_1987_-_Activision.pdf
Well, yeah, but I figure there are translation differences between both manuals, and maybe even different content.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #331 on: September 04, 2016, 08:48:02 pm »
Congratulations. Can't wait to dig into it.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #332 on: September 05, 2016, 01:06:46 am »
Hey, it was already approved! Happy 30 years!

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3060/

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 05, 2016, 02:31:48 am »
What a morning surprise, wakey wakey hands on Pitfall snakey, great work!

One question, was crouching down removed on purpose?

And with improved game controls you mean when you are facing left, hold up, and press jump, the player turns left, or if you are facing right, hold down and press jump, the player turn left?

(REMOVED)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:33:51 am by KingMike »

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #334 on: September 05, 2016, 03:21:50 am »
What a morning surprise, wakey wakey hands on Pitfall snakey, great work!

And with improved game controls you mean when you are facing left, hold up, and press jump, the player turns left, or if you are facing right, hold down and press jump, the player turn left?

maseter, you cannot discuss about repro and also remove the link.  Read the Rules. :police:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:07:51 am by Gamerhenky »

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #335 on: September 05, 2016, 06:52:06 am »
Nesrocks and all guys involved!

Thank you SO MUCH for this.
Absolutely.

Protomank, I wish we were living in the same city again, this way we could get some burgers, soda and spend a whole weekend hunting treasures on this new classic, just as we did back the end of '90s!

Regards,
Cospefogo.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 05, 2016, 07:00:00 am »
All I can say is just three words. I LOVE IT! Yes, I did see a few bugs that were also in the original, but the vast amount of improvements and everything made those tiny bugs irrelevant. You are a video game making god! Its a shame that David Crane himself isnt playing this, as he really should.

EDIT: Does Harry have unlimited bullets? If he does, bravo!

EDIT2: I found David Crane's E-Mail address from his web site. Its david<at>dcrane<dot>com. Maybe someone can write to him and send him a copy of the game for him to play and give us his opinion.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 07:40:26 am by Da_GPer »

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 05, 2016, 08:15:37 am »
I've just beaten the game! Amazing work from everyone involved. You guys really stayed true to the original while still improving what didn't work originally. I feel like this is what the original devs might've wished the game to be like before it all went wrong. In any case, will you still be compiling your findings on the game's unused data and graphics on The Cutting Room Floor? I'm sure if you post it all on the forum there someone would be willing to help you compile it into a page proper.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 05, 2016, 09:04:03 am »

Yes it was. It was deemed too situationally useful to justify keeping.

protomank

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 05, 2016, 09:15:20 am »
Protomank, I wish we were living in the same city again, this way we could get some burgers, soda and spend a whole weekend hunting treasures on this new classic, just as we did back the end of '90s!

Regards,
Cospefogo.

I will always remember we playing Super Puzzle Fighter II X during night :D
I am lucky my wife likes videogames like Lego Batman, but I lack having friends to play classic with.