News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)  (Read 97198 times)

Da_GPer

• View Profile
Re: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)
« Reply #300 on: August 26, 2016, 03:05:54 am »
I think Sir Ababol would look good, but I wouldnt know for sure until I see it in use in the game.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 26, 2016, 08:10:17 am »
I really like that title screen. Keep up the good work!

protomank

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 26, 2016, 08:23:36 am »
Just a note, I didn't had the time to really test the save feature in the NES, just not got the freeze. It was a very quick test.
I will test it tonight, trying to save in different points with different items obtained and let you know how it was :)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #303 on: August 26, 2016, 10:43:15 am »
FYI, changing the font is about one of the first things I did on this hack. The original font is hideous. I didn't search far though, I chose a similar one that didn't have design problems. The font you've been seeing on the screenshots is from arkanoid.
That being said, taking a quick glance at that font image I think ababol looks like a good candidate. I'll test it later.

protomank: I was only worried about the reset. I'd be surprised if the save doesn't work, but it's a good test nonetheless! Tell me how it goes.

edit: not a big fan of taking the original font from a homebrew game. How do they feel about it? A simple credit on the readme would suffice? (haven't tested the font yet)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:51:14 am by nesrocks »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #304 on: August 26, 2016, 10:58:15 am »
It's really cool that you're considerate about that.

Just message one of the devs about it, I've seen you post on NesDev, unless I'm mistaken, one of the developers is active on NesDev, username, na_th_an.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2016, 01:17:39 pm »
After testing, I've settled on the classic namco font with a few minor modifications to look a bit more like the "PITFALL" on the logo. I didn't want to hurt readability and using fonts with anti-alias was not an option due to palette limitations.

Anyway, I've made something that I think added another dimension to the game (it meant dozens of hours of coding):

Not only you get a clue of what to do even without a manual, I've added a way to see your progress and added a save delete protection (can only delete if pressing A + start).

The save is now also working on punes (thanks for the bug fix, Disch!). Once protomank does some tests of this version on his everdrive I'll update here with the results.
The only emulator that I've tested that has a problem with the hack is virtualnes. Soft resetting freezes the game (so on that emulator just hw reset and it works normally).

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2016, 01:28:58 pm »
I hope it works on NES.EMU on OUYA as well.
Eager to play this version!

Cosme.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2016, 02:03:15 pm »
Hopefully and eventually, it'll work in a NES version of this.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #308 on: August 29, 2016, 02:12:55 pm »
I don't see much of a point on that. You mean make a dedicated cartridge of the hack and then read its ROM and play it on an emulator on the PC? You can do that more easily by opening the ROM file on a PC folder.

What I'm curious to know is if it works on a dedicated repro cart. It should, but there's only one way to be sure.

cospefogo

• View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #309 on: August 29, 2016, 02:21:45 pm »

Interesting device, but seems pretty useless in my humble opinion.
 :beer:

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #310 on: August 29, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »
As for font advice, if you plan to have horizontal rows of characters immediately adjacent to each other (single spaced instead of double spaced) it might improve readability to reduce character height to 6 pixels instead of 7. Right now, the text on those two screens looks very dense. Otherwise, looking great as always.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #311 on: August 29, 2016, 05:40:30 pm »
As for font advice, if you plan to have horizontal rows of characters immediately adjacent to each other (single spaced instead of double spaced) it might improve readability to reduce character height to 6 pixels instead of 7. Right now, the text on those two screens looks very dense. Otherwise, looking great as always.
You are absolutely right. I want to have it as tall as possible to make it close to the logo's tipography but I guess a square monospace font can't do well in the readability department when going for tall letters. Unless I used double tiles for them but that'd be a nightmare. So I modified it a bit more and made everything 6 px tall as you suggested and yeah, that's better. Here:

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #312 on: August 29, 2016, 07:54:41 pm »
Looks better. Generally, I go with 6px tall if single spacing, 7 if double spacing (to still allow a pixel for a comma to drop down.) If including lowercase, usually 6px tall with two pixel tails and double spacing.

Anyway, don't forget to alter the punctuation too. Now, your exclamation point is dropping below the baseline. You might want to get trim the stray pixel off the S as well. That's the most problematic letter at 6px high, I believe.

cospefogo

• View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #313 on: August 30, 2016, 05:07:18 am »
I absolutely LOVE the SMALL CAPS Dragon Warrior type face...
But of course, for nostalgic reasons.

(Image removed due to anti-hotlinking image.)

Th italic/oblique exclamation point is... FANCY!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:17:36 pm by KingMike »

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #314 on: August 30, 2016, 04:49:57 pm »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:27:34 pm by FCandChill »

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #315 on: August 31, 2016, 12:53:57 am »
Hey guys, Super Pitfall turns 30 in 5 days!

I have added a very special feature. Didn't get much sleep last night. It took a lot of coding, but I'm putting the last bits of free space on banks 7 and 6 to good use. Today was testing which meant a lot of coding again.
The music player can be accessed by a third option on the main menu and it lets you listen to any of the new songs and also any of the old ones. There are song names (most were named by fcandchill) and song credits. Songs will keep playing as you navigate to the main menu and the progress screen, which I thought was pretty neat.

How far has this hack come in the last 5 months... It went from "maybe the game would be good if all items were visible, but I don't really know how" to this. I wanna thank everyone here for their invaluable feedback and support. Disch, snarfblam, jonk, Da_GPer, protomank, M-Tee, dougeff... and countless others, really. The community rocks. But I wanna thank specially macbee for the daily talks about romhacking. It was actually most of the time about my hack though, and I thought that'd be annoying, so I'm sorry about the times I talked too much! I was just very happy to be learning more about the NES everyday, and to have someone so experienced to talk to about it meant a huge deal.

Also, thanks to FCandChill for the help with the new songs and for breaking the initial barrier figuring out the sound format. It completely changed the face of the hack.

After I release the hack I'm going to move on to my PC game (wish me luck!). I plan to develop it for about 6 months, and I'm one to honor a schedule, so expect it to be released and I hope people are interested in it once it's done. I don't know exactly what it'll be, but it will use my original assets from this hack, at least initially, so that gives an idea of what kind of game it'll be.

This doesn't mean I won't make more hacks later. This is like a drug. I feel like I want to make a full disassembly of whatever game I pick to hack next though, because changing super pitfall this much by typing on fceux's hex editor was not exactly my idea of fun. At the last couple of weeks I was typing the asm on txt and only then retyping it directly into the rom (so I was basically a compiler). Somehow it all worked. But on another hacking project I can definitely see the benefits of preparing everything first.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 31, 2016, 05:39:09 am »
Im glad I can be of help to you. I also hope I can help you in your next project too. By the way, I love the music test you added.

cospefogo

• View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #317 on: August 31, 2016, 05:56:40 am »
Gold! Gold! Gold!
Eager to play!

Next ROM hack?
Let's just get me music fom Ultima Exodus and "inject it" into Ultima Quest of Avatar?
 :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 31, 2016, 06:06:12 am »
Gold! Gold! Gold!
Eager to play!

Next ROM hack?
Let's just get me music fom Ultima Exodus and "inject it" into Ultima Quest of Avatar?
 :woot!: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:

There are PC hacks that give the older Ultima games music, EGA colors, improvements, and other cool things. If you want, I can look for the links.

cospefogo

• View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #319 on: August 31, 2016, 06:18:40 am »
There are PC hacks that give the older Ultima games music, EGA colors, improvements, and other cool things. If you want, I can look for the links.

Thanks, man, but no, thanks.

I have some sort of a special passion about Ultima Exodus on NES.
The RPG I played most in my life. And the BGM is so wonderful!

Next to it I love Ultima Quest of Avatar...
But man, why — oh why — the BGM is so lifeless on a so priceless game?
 :huh: