Minor edit (disclaimer):
This project has escalated into something way bigger than I initially wanted to do. It has moved from an improvements hack to a complete overhaul of the graphics, game design, songs and bug fixes. I won't update this first post with a lot of content, but instead will give a few images to give an idea of what this hack does (check the whole thread to see all of the changes done, or go straight to http://nesrocks.com/blog/superpitfall30th/
and get the hack!).
Please note that a lot has changed since I started on this project, so many of the ideas posted here were not how the project turned out to be
. It is cool to keep it though to see how it really progressed. Original post following (/edit end):
Hey guys! I've been using my interest to hack super pitfall to improve my hacking skills. I've been studying all the tools and trying to understand 6502 asm for the past month. It's been a blast. Special thansk to dougeff, Disch, snarfblam and macbee
I've managed to make a lot of progress and even come up with new stuff. Here's what I've got:
- change the amount of starting lives (independent for each quest)
- change the amount of bullets a gun gives
- change the amount of gold required for perfect ending (default 100)
- always invincible (makes testing easier)
- invincible mode without blinking sprite (makes testing easier)
- change in-game hud position
- flip the gun in Harry's hand. For some reason it points towards him
- full map editting for static tiles and partially for the other objects, including warps
- change where each warp leads to from the default list of 8 possible destinations
- make these items always visible: guns, extra lives, lion key, invincibility star, medicine, ring 1, ring 2 and cross (everything except the suit keys)
- change the title screen
- a hack that gets rid of 2 player mode and lets you choose which quest to start on! It's working but I haven't finished the game on either option yet so I can't tell that it's 100% finished
I have also found one unused test room, that is to my knowledge, unknown so far.
And I've also found, weirdly enough, that the ROM contains older versions of almost all the rooms of the main map (except for 3 of the bottom ones). It's a lot of unused data. There are lots of minor differences in these rooms compared to the main map. There's isn't though a "map" that assembles these rooms as a full map like every other used map in the game, but they are similar enough to the main map that the main map's reference is probably the right one for these. I've then tried to compile a full image of this "beta" map but I lack the skills to automate it. I've tried contacting kingkuros of vgmaps because he mapped the used ones but he's hard to reach.
I've mapped quite a few addresses. And I have listed the hex ID for every object. It includes some possibly unused items and enemies that lack graphics but have a simple behavior I haven't seen or don't remember being in the game.
So I plan to release my work in the following ways:
- a hack for quest select mode (done)
- a hack for making items always visible (might need help with the suit keys, it's driving me nuts, otherwise it's done)
- a graphics hack, including new title screen and new font
- a map hack containing a completely new adventure (might need help with fully understanding how dynamic object data is stored). This hack will possibly require the graphics hack as I plan to make much better use of background tiles
So, is anyone interested in taking a look at the suits and dynamic objects problems? I have the addresses figured out, so it only probably takes a better understanding of asm.
Also, I have a question. What does the unrom to mmc3 patch does? Is it useful to me? http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2665/