News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)  (Read 97099 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)
« Reply #360 on: September 07, 2016, 03:34:45 am »
Was the homage to the original Pitfall in the upper part of the "zombie village" area in the original game? I thought it was a clever touch.

protomank

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 07, 2016, 08:59:03 am »
Random people already creating videos about the hack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJoCdE_fFU8

Not trying to dwelve more on this, but about the copyright legal stuff, there is a huge difference between distribuing a rom and a patch, legally, lets not forget ;)

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #362 on: September 07, 2016, 09:16:06 am »

Yeah, but it is a pity that people love to COMPLAIN.
Complain, complain and complain, is all what most of the people do.

Instead of seeing the huge accomplishment of this project,
instead of spreading the wonder and the gem that the final product became,
people prefer to highlight negativity.

Human race, rat race.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

protomank

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 07, 2016, 09:20:45 am »
For my turn, I didn't even got the final patch.
I'm saving it to play the whole game in detail with all time needed to get all items and enjoy it fully, because, this one, it deserver my full attention and love! :)

cospefogo

• View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #364 on: September 07, 2016, 09:24:22 am »
For my turn, I didn't even got the final patch.
I'm saving it to play the whole game in detail with all time needed to get all items and enjoy it fully, because, this one, it deserver my full attention and love! :)

I already started!
Yesterday.

Loving the game, specially the new save feature.
Perfectly implemented!

Cheers!
C.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #365 on: September 07, 2016, 09:38:21 am »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:22:46 pm by FCandChill »

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #366 on: September 07, 2016, 10:21:06 am »
Gonna play devil's advocate for a moment and with a purpose.
Those points are correct, but there's one technicality: I did not request people to not hack the original game, which I don't own rights to. I requested people not to edit my hack, which is my work and is what I'm distributing. The hack is my pixel art and my code, so I should have the rights to those.

If they take the original game, hack it, and then apply my hack to it, that's their right to do so. But editting my hack isn't. I expect people to wait the same time before someone can edit my hack as they wait to edit recently released games, as stated by the site rules as I've quoted before in this thread.
"For current generation platforms including Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Wii U, Playstation 4, Playstation Vita, and Xbox One; only news, documents, and utilities may be submitted. No hacks or translations are permitted at this time."

Doesn't it seem to be the same? I don't see why both new hacks and full new games shouldn't be treated the same. A console's life cycle is tipically 5 years, so there's a number.

Of course, I'm probably not going to enter any legal battles about people editting my hack. It is a request, as you've said.

Regarding that video he was clearly going for something there with that tone. I think he just missed the spot, but it was a nice try.

Midna: no, that section is entirely new :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:39:09 am by nesrocks »

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #367 on: September 07, 2016, 05:43:10 pm »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:23:08 pm by FCandChill »

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 07, 2016, 07:54:19 pm »
I don't even understand why beginning this drama beyond scope. The documentation is on the Data Crystal (another reason it is a great job, guys), anyone can hack the game by themselves, discussing this here is a waste of legality flavors. ;)

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #369 on: September 07, 2016, 08:47:45 pm »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:23:55 pm by FCandChill »

cospefogo

• View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #370 on: September 08, 2016, 07:15:55 am »
Thank you M-Tee! If anyone doesn't like this rule ... bring any complaints to the Site Talk board ... not here.

Yes... Let's keep the focus on the great mission accomplished here — the Super Pitfall 30!

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2016, 07:30:20 pm »

Not trying to dwelve more on this, but about the copyright legal stuff, there is a huge difference between distribuing a rom and a patch, legally, lets not forget ;)

Wow.... That guy in that video was quick to complain and bash on the game, even before playing it. Some people just dont know a quality remake and fix now days. :(

protomank

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 09, 2016, 08:28:56 am »
Wow.... That guy in that video was quick to complain and bash on the game, even before playing it. Some people just dont know a quality remake and fix now days. :(

I didn't see his comments as bashing the patch itself, but rather the game's original problems. But yeah, he should had to play the original before playing the patched one, and also read the changelist, so he could focus in the things improved, like the nice HUD, no anmo and such.

cospefogo

• View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #373 on: September 09, 2016, 08:38:46 am »
I didn't see his comments as bashing the patch itself, but rather the game's original problems. But yeah, he should had to play the original before playing the patched one, and also read the changelist, so he could focus in the things improved, like the nice HUD, no anmo and such.

It could be ANY game. Could be a comic book. A song. A object.
What is the purpose of making videos BASHING things?
To get "views"? To be popular?

Begone, bashing people!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:47:25 am by cospefogo »

protomank

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 09, 2016, 08:46:15 am »
The thing is, I didn't saw the video as bashing, I tough it was not the case. On the contrary!
Looks we have very different views on the tone of the comments on the video.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #375 on: September 09, 2016, 08:52:47 am »
Producing a video takes time. He doesn't make those comments in real time. This means he had his opinion on the hack before making the video because he had tested it before.
So, if he starts the video pointing out flaws, but by the end of the video he says "oh so it isn't bad afterall" that means he had a little story going. The story was to continue the intertia of calling super pitfall a horrible game.

The thing is that it misses the point because anyone viewing it for the first time knows that the little problems he points out simply don't stand out as much as the improvements. Which is why we as viewers feel the video misses the spot.

protomank

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 09, 2016, 09:27:23 am »
Sorry for posting this video in first place. Didin't ever wanted to start such a thread nor hurt anyone feelings. I saw it as funny thing only.  :'(

But anyway, there are already tons of others video reviews of the hack out there, please pick a better one instead.

skawo

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 11, 2016, 09:49:27 am »
Sorry if my video seemed like bashing of the mod, but it really wasn't supposed to be.

That said, I think pointing out flaws that weren't fixed in the overhaul is fair. The mod was supposed to make Super Pitfall playable, and while it does achieve that, there's still a multitude of issues that stop the game from being actually fun to play. I did point out the important things that were obviously improved; new menus, the ammo being infinite, the graphics being far improved, the levels made more fair and items and warps no longer being invisible.

But if I just pointed those out, and didn't mention any of the inherited issues that were left from the original, it would seem I was implying the mod made the game into a gem or something, which it, sadly, didn't.

tldr; The mod is excellent, but the original game's flaws still manage to shine through.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #378 on: September 11, 2016, 09:56:42 am »
Since you came here to comment, I'll address the issues you pointed out, but I'd like to say this again: in the video it feels off that the first things you had to say were minor nitpicks instead of talking about the screaming improvements. Okay, let's go:

The jeep text: the text says "save everyone, find the diamond and then escape in the jeep". You said in the video "can I escape already?". No, first find everyone, as it says in the text. Saving your cursed niece is not a triviality. Okay I'm already tired of talking about your points.  ;D

skawo

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 11, 2016, 09:59:58 am »
...that... wasn't a complaint at all. It was a joke. There's seriously no issue with the story text or anything, other than it being slightly amusing at the end, because it's a hidden way to fix an issue in the original game, which didn't tell you to return to the start.

Look, if you feel the video offends you or negatively affects your publicity in any way, I'll happily take it down. Once again, it was not supposed to bash your mod at all.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:16:32 am by skawo »