News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)  (Read 97717 times)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
Re: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)
« Reply #220 on: July 24, 2016, 02:43:02 pm »
Thanks!
The mountain issue is a limitation indeed. That palette is used for the car, the top of the ruin columns, the water surface, the background columns, the stone walls, etc... The thing about super pitfall background is that it is a huuuuge map that shares one single chr table and four palettes. But I see what you mean that the mountains could have more volume by having some metatiles with more light and some more shadowy. I'll take a look at that some time.

About the brown rocks, I'd like to note that I'm only using that brown (color 08) on the editor. I think it is a nes color that gets too dark on some tvs, so I'm using a dark cyan (0C) in its place in the actual game.

The editor isn't mine, I wish! It's here http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7111
The open source idea was something I asked jonk help with making, but then I found maped pro and we gave up on that as that new tool was good enough. It could be so much more though if the author released the source.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:02:58 pm by nesrocks »

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 24, 2016, 08:12:52 pm »
I see the Atari 2600 Pitfall Harry hiding in the wall in that pic.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 24, 2016, 11:06:06 pm »
The thing about super pitfall background is that it is a huuuuge map that shares one single chr table and four palettes.

One of the perks of MMC3 is the ability to swap 1/4 portions of the CHR all the way up to the whole table/bank.  I don't know the specifics on how to achieve it but I can tell you I have used this feature (thoroughly abusing it) in my current project Metroid Rogue Dawn (thanks to the work of Snarfblam).  The tiles swap out multiple times in each area creating a rich diverse environment.  MMC3 also allows you to swap the tiles rapidly creating the ability to animate the environment.  I couldn't tell you how to do X,Y, or Z with the MMC3 mapper but I can tell you some of the possibilities based on my experience.  You'll have to do some homework if you would like to take advantage of any of these features.

There's probably a way to add in Palette swaps also which would allow you to take full advantage of the CHR abilities.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #223 on: July 24, 2016, 11:22:32 pm »
I thought of that. I wasn't sure it wasn't possible on unrom or not. But the thing is, chr table loading is bizarrely slow on super pitfall (and other micronics games too). You can check it out by opening the ppu viewer in fceux and playing the game. Programmers have a tendency to avoid this game  ;D

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #224 on: July 24, 2016, 11:36:03 pm »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:53:07 am by FCandChill »

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #225 on: July 25, 2016, 12:49:47 am »
The chr loading being instanteneous on ghostbusters is why I don't think that micronics programmed it, contrary to popular belief.

By the way ... nesrocks, could you share some documentation you have on the game? I'd like to post it on datacrystal so others can learn from it without repeat research. Is that okay?
Do you want it right away? I was planning on organizing it later and doing it myself but if you want to do it that's great too hehe. Once you see how much I've documented you're going to share my sadness of not doing this on a disassembly of the game (I could be hacking and commenting it at the same time). But my disassembly attempts failed miserably.
Some of these notes may be related only to my hack instead of the original game. This is usually when dealing with the new hud routines, not data. The only data I moved was the title screen nametable to a bigger area, but on the notes it tells both addresses. Also, some "high / low" byte notations may be switched. I've sent you a pm with a link to the notes.

So, am I missing something? I don't see any rom or ram address information for any game on datacrystal, even super mario bros. http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._3
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 01:05:09 am by nesrocks »

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #226 on: July 25, 2016, 03:17:29 am »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:53:25 am by FCandChill »

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2016, 05:02:58 pm »
Great work, thanks! I have cleaned it up a bit. There were still some hack specific stuff and some things that didn't have a clear description. How useful is the rom map as it is now to people in the future looking to make a disassembly of the game?

In other news, I have submitted a complete portuguese language translation of super pitfall so I could get used to the submission system, but macbee already found a bug so I need to update it somehow. Not sure if I should wait for the process to complete or open a ticket. The bug is that the music in the game over screen is messed up. I have managed to fix it but the submitted file has the bug.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #228 on: August 04, 2016, 01:09:46 am »
1 month to go!

So, I'm nearing completion of a personal milestone here with the release of beta testing. Anyone interested please send an e-mail to nesrocks@gmail.com with subject "beta testing" and I'll send a beta version of the hack for testing as soon as it's ready (should be within 24 hours from this posting).
I'm looking for any kind of feedback really. Please note that there are known problems I don't know how to fix:
- controls get stuck sometimes with diagonals
- annoying main theme song
- when pitfall harry shoots the animation is buggy

All of these are problems present in the original game.

Also, I have made a blog/site that I plan to use for my next game, but so far I've only updated it with info for this hack. http://nesrocks.com

Info that I posted on the site but not here (hopefully images will show):
Updated cavemen designs, ditching the whole pigmy idea and downright going for zombies:

Unused tiles (I have assembled this image from various sections of the rom). The bat is used, but in the game it only has one frame of animation, so one of the eyes isn't used. I've added the full bat for comparison. Some of these enemies have the same pixel art as the pc-88 version.

Something I've made for fun:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:38:23 am by nesrocks »

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2016, 01:38:19 am »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:53:40 am by FCandChill »

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2016, 02:51:57 am »
I love the zombie look. They look a lot better then before and less racist. I would suggest though bringing back the arm movements and the frown on the masked one. I thought that added touch you had made your work stand out more.

EDIT: Maybe we can find a use for some or most of the unused enemies somehow.

protomank

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2016, 08:58:49 am »
The zombie ow looks much better. Only wish they moved the arms a little bit (one or two px). I hope I can get my hands on the beta version for testing :)
Great site BTW, looks good both on mobile and desktop.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2016, 09:23:26 am »
I wanted to keep the creepyness of their lifeless animation, but I guess the simple fact that they move up and down already kills that, doesn't it?

There are a few ready to use unused enemy code in the game. I am going to use it for the hanging spider and then another special one. The thing is that I don't want to use the beta graphics since I'm redoing all graphics. So the fact that there are unused tiles should only be a hint to what the unused code could be for.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #233 on: August 05, 2016, 11:26:53 am »
Sad to see the head animations and frowns removed from the zombies. Those really made them stand out.
Site looks great though.

releasethedogs

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2016, 05:17:38 pm »
Sad to see the head animations and frowns removed from the zombies. Those really made them stand out.

agreed.
The bottom guy should have a frown and you should make his face look more zombie like.
he looks too much like a reject pokemon right now. make him intimidating.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2016, 05:26:21 pm »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:10:07 am by FCandChill »

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #236 on: August 05, 2016, 05:29:38 pm »
About those enemy concepts, I don't think anything I do can match the creepyness of the original's empty souls. Look at those things, they are so dead inside, and yet, they move. They are trapped in this mindless quest to walk and shoot like they are hipnotised and have no free will. And yet, they are confident. Like unstoppable minions of the occult.

edit: I have detected a problem with the pause function in the game. It was too sensitive, like, you had to press start really quickly or else it would pause and unpause with a single press. I checked the clean ROM and it didn't have this problem. So I investigated and identified that it is a problem with the MMC3 patch. I have reconverted my hack back to unrom and fixed the programming of the hud that was mapper patch dependant. With this I have now a hack that doesn't change the mapper, but I also kept it compatible with infidelity's MMC3 patch. The pause bug will still be added if it is used, the same way that it adds the bug if it is used on the original ROM. Since I'm not using any MMC3 specific feature I prefer to leave it on the original mapper than to try to fix the pause bug for nothing.

So, should I try to contact infidelity to tell him about it or something? Are side effects normal in mapper conversions?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 12:43:52 am by nesrocks »

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 06, 2016, 02:23:23 am »
It be a good idea to tell him about any bugs you may find. It help improve the mapper.

protomank

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2016, 08:03:44 am »
Sent you an email about the pause bug right before reading your post here, hehehe. Sorry about that.
I am testing it by playing a bit, then playing the original and comparing both. It takes a good amount of time, but that way I can see the improvements and look for glitches. So far, very good.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 07, 2016, 11:15:45 am »
It was too sensitive, like, you had to press start really quickly or else it would pause and unpause with a single press.
Could call it a tribute to another other Pony Canyon game, Winter Games. :D (yes, it's pointed out it was the hack's fault)
(kinda surprised the AVGN didn't notice that to add to his many other complaints)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018