News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)  (Read 46404 times)

nesrocks

• View Profile
Re: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 12:46:09 pm »
I have several questions
1. Probably out of my league. I realized now that making this possible may be one of the avantages of the mmc3 mapper patch.
2. I wish it had a compass showing where important items were. Probably also out of my league.
3. I have thought about doing this. I might release it as a level design improvement separate patch.
4. Yes, I plan to do a complete graphics overhaul once I'm done with the other modifications.

edit 1: I believe I have fixed the problems with getting through walls, falling through the floor and slipping from ladders. Further testing is needed, but it seems fine now.

edit 2: I have been working on the graphics as I've given up making the suits visible for now. Just posting some of the results, although it's not final, especially the background ones. I have found a lot of unused metatiles and tiles, so I plan to make it richer.

I also have an idea to change completely what the hud does. I want it to show progress on collected items and gold units instead of points and bullets. Preferably bullets should be infinite but you start without a gun (I would remove all the gun items from the game except for one carefully placed gun). Gold unit count would be useful for those going for the perfect ending.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:06:25 pm by nesrocks »

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 02:51:01 pm »
Update: This is what the new hud currently looks like (that screenshot shows what it looks like when you have all items).

I have made it so when you get the lion its icon replaces the key icon, and when you get the niece it replaces the medicine icon.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 10:56:53 pm »
^I'll never understand why the protagonist's feet phase through the floor.

Is this some kind of glitch or something?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 12:59:07 am »
One thing that I'll never understand is that why was this game called Super Pitfall in the first place, instead of just Pitfall (for the NES).

Super Pitfall sounds like an original Pitfall game made for the Super NES.

I don't know if anybody has noticed that.

For the same reasons a certain other game was named Super Mario Bros., I guess.

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 01:12:45 am »
^I'll never understand why the protagonist's feet phase through the floor.

Is this some kind of glitch or something?
Yeah, it's funny that I've only noticed that yesterday. It's just its normal position. Maybe it can be changed.

More graphics (not final):

I can make this door work as a warp. I'll probably draw portals like this and replace the warp condors with these. I might even know how to make it work only when pressing UP, but I can't guarantee that.  :laugh: As of this writing it warps instantly when you walk in front of it.

I am looking for the best way to streamline map editing. I have regular character tiles (00 to FF) but also metatiles (each made of 2 x 2 tiles with a color attribute), rooms (each room made of 16 x 15 metatiles), and maps which is just a series or rooms in sequence (16 rooms wide). It's a real pain to edit it all. I thought that maybe tiled would be a good tool but I'm not sure. I need to edit / create metatiles, edit attribute tables, edit rooms and edit maps. Probably the best way to go would be to write a tool...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:58:15 am by nesrocks »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 03:58:31 am »
This is looking great so far. Great work!
I always wanted a *fixed* version of this game.
I'm thinking it would be nice if Harry looked a bit more like the other versions of him from the other games, maybe even with a palette reminiscent of the original Atari Pitfall.

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 12:54:17 pm »
Thanks!

I like the idea for the character and I can try it, but the outline will have to be dark green instead of black. I guess it can work.

I'm thinking the biggest 2 low points with the hack will be the framerate still hard coded to 15 hz and the main theme song's short loop. I have no idea how to change that.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 03:25:51 pm »
How much free space do you have to work with?

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 03:36:48 pm »
How much free space do you have to work with?
There is like A LOT of free space. I'm just not sure how it works with bank switching. Like, I've added a few lines of code on free space on the same loaded bank. But there is an entire unused map in an area of the rom for example.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 03:54:23 pm »
That's good. At least it should theoretically be possible to expand the music track.
I have no idea where to even begin with removing the frame rate cap.

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2016, 01:55:02 pm »
- I have just discovered that in two days (09 may 2016) on September 5th it is Super Pitfall's 30th aniversary. It is the first time it is going to be celebrated, I guess. It will be the year of Pitfall Harry, like nintendo made the year of Luigi in 2013 :laugh:

I have planned 4 patches:
1 - Bug Fixes and minor improvements
2 - Game Design Update
3 - Graphics
4 - New Adventure

I will release patch 1 soon. It contains the following:
- Less laggy
- Doesn't get into walls
- Doesn't fall through the floor
- Doesn't slip from ladders
- Gun correctly positioned in Harry's hand
- Harry's position is correct when standing instead of 2 pixels into the ground
- Title screen: Minor fixes to the Game Title's tiles
- Title screen: Harry's position fixed to point to the options correctly
- Title screen: "Continue" visible when applicable and selectable without the need to press A A A
- Restores the "x" in the hud between the gun and bullet count. This is an unused sprite found in the ROM
- Better font

I will release the other ones as they get done.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:48:38 pm by nesrocks »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2016, 02:12:51 pm »
- I have just discovered that in two days (09 may 2016) it is Super Pitfall's 30th aniversary.
Wow. This year is the year that there are so many video game anniversaries. Even from video games we have never heard of. :laugh:

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2016, 02:50:59 pm »
Wow. This year is the year that there are so many video game anniversaries. Even from video games we have never heard of. :laugh:
I was mistaken, it's the 5th of september, not 9th of may. Damn the inverted date system these people use!

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2016, 02:59:10 pm »
I was mistaken, it's the 5th of september, not 9th of may. Damn the inverted date system these people use!
Are you still gonna release the patch? Because if you will, (noticing that you want four separate patches, and not knowing which is the main one, and which are the addendum ones) I suggest that you combine all patches in one. If you have trouble, omit this.

That is, again, if you still want to release the patch(es) this Monday.

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2016, 03:05:38 pm »
The new adventure patch will include all patches on it.
The graphics patch will include the fixes patch.
The game design patch will include the fixes patch.
And there's the standalone fixes patch.

I figure that some people may not want to change the game so much. I might merge the graphics and game design into a single patch but I'm not sure yet.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2016, 06:25:15 pm »
Good Call.
This being the 30th anniversary kinda makes me want to do a hack for it too. Hmmm...

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2016, 06:44:49 pm »
Good Call.
This being the 30th anniversary kinda makes me want to do a hack for it too. Hmmm...
I have a lot of the game mapped out. If you think of an idea for a hack contact me and I can share it.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2016, 07:45:02 pm »
Good Call.
I'm interested to hear what your hack is about. If you want to, you can tell me via PM.

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2016, 07:49:28 pm »
Aren't you a funny guy, that's not what I meant XD

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2016, 08:04:08 pm »
^ What? What did I say?