News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)  (Read 99051 times)

Da_GPer

• View Profile
Re: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2016, 07:44:48 pm »
I think I'm done with overworld 1. Now there's overworld 2 and the darkworld.

Some comparisons:

OMG! This game keeps looking so awesome. Please, someone, work on the music part so it can be complete.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2016, 07:50:56 pm »
Yeah, this is awesome. The "before" is what Nintendo games usually look like and the "after" is what they should have looked like.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2016, 07:58:35 pm »
I really appreciate this work, it is just like how Game Boy Color games looked like. The proof that you don't need to make spectacular ASM hacks to do great things! :)

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2016, 08:10:57 pm »
I decided to help nesrocks a little by making a post on Board 2 asking if anyone can help with the music part and showing off the hard work he has done to the game as well. Here is the post, if your interested in seeing it.

http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=8579

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2016, 07:13:57 am »
That's great help, asking someone else to help.

/dACE

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2016, 07:20:01 am »
That's great help, asking someone else to help.

/dACE

Its about the best I can do since I dont know how to program and have no skills in making music or art. I am just trying to bring awareness to the project and hopefully someone will be nice enough to lend a hand to the project.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2016, 07:32:05 am »
?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 03:22:11 pm by dACE »

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2016, 10:43:21 am »
That makes no sense, I asked for help, why can't he? I appreciated his topic on board 2, thanks Da_GPer.
If you want to excell at something you can't do everything yourself. I do graphics, that's what I do, that's what I invest my time to excell at.
For this project nobody offered help on the programming so I learned a bit of asm and debugging to do a lot of modifications, but I do a limited job on that area because programming experience takes years. It's why game making is a multi man job. Redoing the music engine or adding more music is no trivial task.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2016, 03:46:49 pm »
Exactly right nesrocks, I can tell you the project I'm working on has benefited immeasurably form the collaborative efforts of myself, Snarfblam, and Optomon, not to mention the feedback from everyone contributing through play testing.  Group efforts allow everyone to shine in their own area of expertise.  Also we all tend to be more passionate about one aspect or another, focusing our efforts there really allows us to further push the boundaries of what we believe is possible or what has already been achieved. 

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2016, 08:03:30 pm »
Thank you nesrocks and Grimlock for your kind words. I know I cant do much in the creation of the project, but if I can at least do something, may it be giving advice, beta testing, comments, or even spreading the word around or asking for others to help, I can at least feel like I am doing my part to help. Trust me, if I was able to do more, I would. I consider this project to be as good as projects like Metroid: Rogue Dawn. The quality shows and a lot of love and hard work was put into it.

EDIT:  Woohoo! 100th post! Yay!

releasethedogs

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2016, 06:10:54 pm »
It's why game making is a multi man job.

Tell that to Howard Scott Warshaw  ;)

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2016, 07:25:09 pm »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:00:11 pm by FCandChill »

releasethedogs

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2016, 09:45:14 pm »
...That was in the day where "graphics" were squares and blobs and music was basically nonexistent.
fair enough, they are still games though.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2016, 10:21:15 pm »
But I said "is". Not "was"  :laugh:

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2016, 11:38:52 pm »
I only noticed this topic now. I'm not really familiar with the game, but judging by the screenshot comparisons, your version is like infinitely better than the original thing. The original doesn't look attractive at all, but yours look good enough to the point where now I want to play it. I will probably still play the original version first just to see how bad it is, then your remake. I'm pretty sure it will feel like night and day. :)

bte

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2016, 04:51:19 pm »
Hey,

I registered to make this post. I'm a C programmer (although I have done some assembly before), I'd be willing to tackle the sound engine rewrite for this project.

Do you want the sound engine rewritten as someone mentioned earlier, with a different note representation or optimize the current one?

By the way, this "fix up" is looking incredibly impressive. Who would have thought that you transform this game like you have! Great work. Hope I can be of some help.

Thanks,
Brian

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2016, 08:46:54 pm »
^Nice. The more people contribute on this hack, the better.

Which that reminds me...

Hey @Nesrocks, if you need some early QA/Beta testers, I'll be happy to volunteer.

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2016, 09:11:49 pm »
Do you want the sound engine rewritten as someone mentioned earlier, with a different note representation or optimize the current one?

Awesome! Awesome!
Welcome, BTE!
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2016, 03:55:16 am »
Hey,

I registered to make this post. I'm a C programmer (although I have done some assembly before), I'd be willing to tackle the sound engine rewrite for this project.

By the way, this "fix up" is looking incredibly impressive. Who would have thought that you transform this game like you have! Great work. Hope I can be of some help.

Thanks,
Brian

Yay! I helped! ;D

bte

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2016, 10:16:55 pm »
Took me a bit to get up to speed on the NES architecture and all that, but it looks doable. I'm dissecting the code portion of the ROM and looking for unused space. Are there standard tools for splitting the iNES file into the ROM banks? I wrote a quick hack of a tool to get the raw data (bank data) out, what tools are common in this field?