News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Breath of Fire GBA improved  (Read 3890 times)

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Breath of Fire GBA improved
« on: April 21, 2016, 06:49:46 pm »
This hack is designed to make the first Bof play smoother. more like 2 3 and to some extent 4. Here's what has been done so far

1 Most equipment altered both in strength and name to match the later games in the series, most names and numbers are taken from later games and not made up by me , this has the effect of making the game slightly harder.

2 level gain is smooth and consistent throughout the game gains have been altered to accommodate the much faster gain.

3 joining characters now join at a level competitive to your party's (no more stragglers)

4 restored snes palette (WiP)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6oz60hdgp5jmdg/0245%20-%20Breath%20of%20Fire%20%28U%29%28Mode7%29_01.png?dl=0

5 broke the damage cap
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojom2l6dlq81xud/0245%20-%20Breath%20of%20Fire%20%28U%29%28Mode7%29_03.png?dl=0

hard to take a good shot of damage but you can easily see Karn just hit 1744 damage

6 much less time consuming Flea Market

really want to release this but I want to have the spells Shin and Debo switched for balance purposes before I do, I could really use some help finding that data.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire GBA improved
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 05:32:59 am »
Hey Ben! Looks impressive! Glad you've continued your efforts on this game. :) Sorry to butt in with this question, but is there any chance you would be willing to release the restored palette by itself, too, once it's done?
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

...We call it romhacking.net. ;)
I'm not a translator; I don't know any language other than English.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 06:18:33 am »
I suppose I could, I wasn't going to so that people would have to play my hack to get the SNES pallette, but at this point if someone could help me switch those two spells I'd be willing to trade that for the palette hack.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 07:31:38 am »
I dunno much about hacking BoFI. The minor text editing I've done is all I can do. But from my experience in overall hacking, I would say that the men who teach Karn his spells are considered events. I bet it would be a matter of finding the code for the event, looking for "Karn learns Shin" part of it, and then changing that to "Karn learned Debo". Then you would have to do the same for the "Karn learns Debo" event and change that to "Karn learns Shin". I hope I'm onto something with that; good luck!
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

...We call it romhacking.net. ;)
I'm not a translator; I don't know any language other than English.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 07:51:23 am »
That was my thought too, I just don't know how, everything I've found so far has been using the search function in my hex editor, I'm not even sure VBA debugger has a trace function. If I knew the values of those spells I could swap them. I do have save files right before learning each spell for when I do figure out how to trace the code.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:05:14 pm by ThegreatBen »

justin3009

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 02:35:11 pm »
If you can find where in RAM it actually sets the value of the spell upon leveling, you could probably trace it from there.  If I knew anything about GBA hacking I'd help but I have absolutely no knowledge on it.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 05:02:51 pm »
It sets it by event not level, would that still be found in RAM?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 05:58:05 pm »
Should be.  The spells HAVE to be stored into RAM somehow.  So find where they store the spell values into RAM on that character.  I'm not sure if any GBA emulator has a breakpoint on 'write' or anything, but that's most likely your best bet.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 09:16:33 pm »
That gives me a good place to start, my gba has no RAM viewer but has something about breakpoints so I'll play with that on the SNES version and see if I can find anything, I will keep you updated, thanks for the help.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 04:17:34 pm »
If this were the SNES version then it'd be pretty quick and easy to trace all this and get it going.

Is there a specific reason you're using the GBA version by the way?  I didn't think there was really much difference except a few aesthetics.  Not that there's anything wrong with the GBA, just curious.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 04:51:45 pm »
Much better menus, animated cut scenes, item and spell icons and a dash function.

The spell digits should be the same in both versions, so as I play through the SNES version to get the palettes I'll try and find them.

gafugarion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 05:08:37 pm »
Any chance this project will have better growth or spells for early party members like Bo/Gilliam so he's not just transformation fodder late game?

BoF is one of my favorites from the SNES but some of the things like Gobi's magic being so limited and Bo starting with all his spells always got on my nerves lol.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 05:26:32 pm »
I had very little luck finding anything related to spells, Bleu (now Dies) gains her spells slower so that you can't just get access to Comet and BoltX right off.

Bo and Gobi will both see further use if I can switch Shin and Debo since that will mean no fusions on land until Gust. That's about all I can do with my skills.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 07:25:00 pm »
Is anyone interested in play testing this 90% completed? I really need an advanced save file played on no$gba debugger to finish this hack, and just don't have the time to do so myself.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 07:25:52 pm »
couldnt swap Shin and Debo but since Ive been sitting on this for so long I decided to release it anyway. enjoy

November 22, 2016, 09:45:28 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And it's officially up
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:45:28 pm by ThegreatBen »

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 08:18:05 am »
...as I play through the SNES version to get the palettes I'll try and find them.

Shouldn't have to play through the game to get the palettes. They're all in the same order, so you can just copy'n'paste the whole chunk(s) over to the GBA ROM.

I never did get around to fixing the portraits and other new stuff in my own palette hack, that kind of bothers me.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 09:52:08 am »
Come to think of it neither did I, I did about 90% of them manually then your hack was re released so I just took what I was missing from yours, hope you don't mind.

Kurt91

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 02:09:52 am »
I've tried this with ROMs from two different sites, and both of them have letters missing in spots in the descriptions in the menu and shop screens. Is this an issue with the patch, or have I just been using bad ROM's? Just in case it's the latter, how can I make sure that I've got the right version?

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 06:37:44 am »
It's not just you, crap I'll fix it later today.

November 26, 2016, 08:49:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It's been fixed and re uploaded, will have to patch a clean rom but save games will still be fine.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:49:51 pm by ThegreatBen »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 05:55:49 pm »
Just uploaded version 1.2 fixes a leveling error, refines my changes to the flea market and Replaces the StarHR with a free Mallet