News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Rom Hacking of Super CastleVania IV  (Read 1583 times)

FreightMan71

• View Profile
Rom Hacking of Super CastleVania IV
« on: April 21, 2016, 12:44:43 am »
Hello all...

First off, I want to preface this post by saying I am not a hacker/programmer myself, but I sure have enjoyed some of the real nice work many of you have done or been a part of, for the last several years.
Amazing what a simple graphics and/or gameplay patch can do for a game I've beaten a hundred times over...

Anyways, on to my Q:

Noticed lots n LOTS of Castlevania series hacks for the NES and it occurred to me while playing some of those.....why hasn't the graphically superior Super Castlevania not been hacked yet?

Frankly, while SCV4 is a good game, I find it to be far too easy until you get really far into the game.
I figured, with all the difficulty hacks out there for the NES Castlevanias, there MUST be some intrepid hackers that would dive into SCV4 on Snes and liven up the difficulty on that...change a few levels around.

NES Castlevanias are great n all, but I think hackers have just about all they can with that, no?

How about breaking some new ground and tackling the Snes version, or even better, some of the Super Famicom versions, and make some killer hacks (no pun intended, hehe) using those Roms as bases?

Again, I am not a hacker myself, so I really don't understand the complexities behind taking apart a rom, then modifying and/or adding to it......but since so many other roms (RPGS seem to be complex in of themselves, and THEY have been hacked and modified) with complex structures have been worked on, why not SCV4?

If someone can perhaps explain to me some of the reasons why this game hasn't been hacked, or people can just use this thread to throw about ideas on how such a thing could be done...I'd be very appreciative and would love to sit back and read what the hacking experts think about this.

Thank you ladies and gents.

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Rom Hacking of Super CastleVania IV
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 03:03:44 am »
Perhaps the fact that everything in CV4 is compressed is why there's so few hackers for it.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 02:47:05 pm »
Indeed. If that weren't an issue I would have been messing around with it years ago.
If someone ever is able to remove the compression and recompile as a larger size ROM image then the gate will be open for plenty of hacks.

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 01:49:43 am »
Hi

I had like to say that RedGuy started to make a Editor for Super Castlevania IV. http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,21867.0.html

There are not many hacks out jet but the editor works for basic hacks and I started to work with it. If someone likes to play test the first view levels you are welcome to play and give feedback or ideas. I will do a basic hack of all the levels in the Game. It is my first hack also.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j8tWwB5VKc
Download: [snip]

It is by no means done. It is just a demo and not final

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:07:22 am by Zynk Oxhyde »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 01:57:28 pm »
I wonder if that editor is far enough along to add new elements instead of just moving what is already on the level. I wish redguy would work on the editor more. Anyway, boga, you're hack looks great. I only saw the one flaw where some invisible bricks needed to be broken. I suppose you didn't back up before you did that. I hope you get the hack done. I'd like to see a hack done for this game. I played the original so many times it's not even that fun anymore.

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 02:41:19 pm »
Redguy did a great job on his SC4ed so far. The limitation are there but that does not mean you can't deliver a great hack with it. For example I was disappointed with my hack so far because of how much it reminded me at the original game while playing. And this comes down to level design. It would help if I could move blocks from other stages but it is not necessary. I redid the first stage already and it feels a bit better now.

http://imgur.com/a/fU2bF

I am a total noob when it comes to romhacking. Redguy said that you could do a lot of things with a expanded rom like we have with CV4. I am not sure if it means that it is decompressed after expanding and you could work with other tools to dig up some stuff.  :D

If anybody like to help with that hack just ask. I could use some help. I will do stage by stage till I am more or less happy.

January 28, 2017, 02:32:57 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Since I do a Rom hack of CVIV and I am new to the scene I think it is the right place to do posts about my work. May be someone picks up what I am about to do and like to get involved too.

Why bother to hack CVIV? In my opinion CVIV is a action platform game that can promise tight game play and still holds up 30 years later.

What makes CVIV good? Good controls over your actions. Fair and difficult stages. The music fits the game atmosphere. There are some especially well done Boss fights in the game. And all the fans that still hype the game.

Whats Bad then? The game get repetitive quick since you have not many different actions to perform. It need good level design to not get boring or stupid. Some sub weapon are superior to others. It's like get cross keep cross.

What kind of hack you have in mind? I wanna do a hack anybody can pick up and have a good time with it. The hack should shine through good stage design in normal and hard mode. CVIV should feel like a new game as far as possible. The stages should be designed that player who had played through the game before will be challenged again.

I finished the first tow stages to a level that I am happy with it. I play tested them a view times in normal and hard mode but still do fixes. Question:"Is Medusa to hard for second boss?"

If you like to play test yourself here the ips you have to patch Super Castelvania IV (U)with: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0sox87tpac8j9z2/0ther%20Castle.ips?dl=0

Any feedback or ideas are very welcome.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:56:48 pm by bogaabogaa »