News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Sega embraces game modding.  (Read 14961 times)

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Sega embraces game modding.
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2016, 10:08:15 pm »
It comes down to how those games compare to the competition, I think. The TG-16 RPGs are legendary, Lunar-quality type stuff (but with GBA-caliber graphics and sound).
Could we get some recommendations? I have been trying out some TG-16 games recently. I know about the SMT port but not much else.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2016, 10:35:52 pm »
It comes down to how those games compare to the competition, I think. The TG-16 RPGs are legendary, Lunar-quality type stuff (but with GBA-caliber graphics and sound).

"It" comes down? What is "it" -- your opinion of what deserves to be translated? You're entitled to that, but the question was how many untranslated RPGs there are on the Sega CD, not what you think deserves a translation. (You claimed there were "a few", I noted there were nearly 20, and now you're moving the goalposts.)

If you're not interested in those, that's fine too. But it seems like you're trying to actively discourage people from translating games you don't deem good enough -- or on systems you don't deem worthy -- and that's not cool.

Personally I think your opinion of the PC Engine RPG library is a bit overstated (and a few other adjectives too), but if you were to translate some untranslated PCE games, I'd be the first to congratulate you. I'm all for people putting their money where their mouth is.

Psychlonic

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2016, 03:10:52 am »
Welcome to 25 years ago. Neither Sega nor NEC make consoles anymore so I guess it doesn't really matter which console was supposedly better.

Personally, I'm glad both Sega CD and TG-CD exist, both have fantastic games. The number of awesome games might not be as high as other consoles, but I'd feel cheated without some of their titles. And in my perspective it's cool seeing different ways they handled the same game.

Sorry to contribute to the off-topicness, I just don't get this argument at all that's going on right now.
Just another old and grumpy gamer. Don't mind me.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2016, 09:13:59 am »
Relevant Link

Looks like Sega is offering Mega Drive Games for 66% off to boot.

If one wishes to own the whole collection, now is the time, it seems. :)

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2016, 10:26:24 am »
Just because a game doesn't have a large fanbase, doesn't mean no one will translate it. Hell, in a few weeks I will translate the game if needed  :P

If you translate Bahamut Senki, I'll do the hacking (I made the hacking of Psy-O-Blade translation, with 2 VWF, gfx edits,... just to prove I'm able to do it)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:09:46 pm by tryphon »

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2016, 12:23:09 pm »
If you translate Bahamut Senki, I'll do the hacking (I made the hacking of Psy-O-Blade translation, with 2 VWF, gfx edits,... just to prove I'm able to do it)
Cool. I'll send you a message after I finish with finals.

And the update for the genesis emulator on steam is out. It seems like you will be modding games through the same way many of you have been modding. And as of now, there are no mods. Who will win the race to first??  :woot!:

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2016, 02:10:48 pm »
Cool. I'll send you a message after I finish with finals.

And the update for the genesis emulator on steam is out. It seems like you will be modding games through the same way many of you have been modding. And as of now, there are no mods. Who will win the race to first??  :woot!:

Gotta go fast.

April 28, 2016, 02:28:10 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I thought this forum had a no-advertising rule.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:28:10 pm by zonk47 »
A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2016, 02:56:03 pm »
Quote from: zonk47
I thought this forum had a no-advertising rule.

We do, but it's not always clear cut what constitutes advertising. If it's a link to something that would be of general, broad interest among users, and does not have the appearance of furthering the self-interest of the user that posts the link, then it's probably okay. While possible, I doubt anyone here works for Sega or has any financial or social stake in the success of this product.

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2016, 04:36:33 pm »
Anyway, about those TG16 CD games.

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/ <- this is the pre-eminent site for TG-16 reviews.

The general thrust of the 3rd gen thru the 4th gen was that you made two versions of hit games: one version for limited media, and another for the CD-based systems (the PCE-CD and the PCs). These CD-ROM editions used anime to flesh out details that the limited media versions only hinted at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9w3cqQcF8 <- The story of Double Dragon you've never heard. Clearly the definitive version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8KtH2ZrC1I <- Cosmic Fantasy 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhbqY_ojSMs <- Tengai Makyou II: Manji Maru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNWtkKphO7Y <- Fiend Hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Rd3aUzuNk <- Legend of Xanadu 2

and the list goes on... and on... and on

A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2016, 05:11:12 pm »
Just a little FYI; I uploaded vivify93's Phantasy Star II Improvement with his permission. This was because he doesn't have the game in his Steam Library.

You must first have the game in your steam Library before uploading a mod for it, so far as I can tell. I could be wrong, but that's how it appears. I added him as an author once it was uploaded.

Lots of people trying to upload Mario games are getting their submissions nuked, I'm guessing by Sega directly, or possibly Steam admins, or possibly even Steam admins working for Sega. Edit: Or so it appears...?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:21:25 pm by Spooniest »

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2016, 06:01:35 pm »
What's really irritating is that people are uploading roms as patches...

zonk, yes, we get it, the TG16 and the TG16-CD are underappreciated. Doesn't mean there aren't also plenty of good Sega CD games once you dig past what is most famous.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Isao Kronos

• ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2016, 06:13:35 pm »
Now I just need to get more games on steam oh boy

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2016, 06:22:36 pm »
*shrug* I don't feel any compunction at all to buy those games. I'll just keep playing them on Internet Archive or wherever else I feel like.

So they re-released the roms. Big deal. Now go put the truth to my sig lol.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2016, 06:24:11 pm »
What's really irritating is that people are uploading roms as patches...
That's the only way to do it, as far as I can tell. I'm serious.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Isao Kronos

• ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2016, 06:24:25 pm »
*shrugs* I really only use it for laziness's sake.

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2016, 06:34:03 pm »
What are the odds that the Sega fan community will be made militant by this?

I.S.T.

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2016, 06:37:36 pm »
That's the only way to do it, as far as I can tell. I'm serious.

I'm more referring to the like... bootleg roms up on it.

I.S.T.

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2016, 06:38:27 pm »
*shrug* I don't feel any compunction at all to buy those games. I'll just keep playing them on Internet Archive or wherever else I feel like.

So they re-released the roms. Big deal. Now go put the truth to my sig lol.

have you considered that maybe a lot of people have been wanting to make their hobby legal for a long time and don't actually like breaking the law

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2016, 06:45:58 pm »
I'm more referring to the like... bootleg roms up on it.
They all seem to be listed under Alex kidd in the enchanted castle. and more keep getting added as the day goes on.

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2016, 06:46:40 pm »
have you considered that maybe a lot of people have been wanting to make their hobby legal for a long time and don't actually like breaking the law

Oh I know they have. But that just reflects that they don't think critically about their laws. I think the only people who will buy these are Trump voters anyway, which means money not going to Trump. Democrats are offering a collective "meh" at this gesture... holding companies are the devil, after all.

By the by, these games have been hosted on Internet Archive for a while now and the U.S. copyright office has given IA a pass on all of their holdings. Nobody -NOBODY- really cares about these games except Sega and their most rabid fans (and these people are the definition of rabid).

As far as 16-bit titles are concerned, the copyright wars are over.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:55:13 pm by zonk47 »