News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Any way to add full Super Game Boy compatability into GB Color roms?  (Read 1164 times)

marioxb

• View Profile
I guess Pokemon yellow did this properly. Is there any way to have full backward compatibility with the Super Game Boy, as well as Game Boy Color? Specifically, the Konami GB Collection 1-4 games. They were collections of older Konami Game Boy games, with four games per collection. 4 of the games, which averages one per collection, were made specifically for the collection, and never had a stand-alone release on the original Game Boy (Guttang Gottong, Frogger, Yi-Ar Kung Fu and Antarctic Adventure. (Frogger is a different game than all of the other GB(A)(C) releases). The collections were released in Japan as Super Game Boy games, with special borders for the collection itself, as well as the games themselves. They were also colorized pretty well for Super Game Boy games. The only English releases were in Europe, but the Super Game Boy compatibility has been removed and replaced with Game Boy Color compatibility. The volume order has also been changed, as well as the tutorials removed.

My question is, would there be any way to "combine" these roms, so that if you played in "Super Game Boy" mode you'd get full compatibility and vice versa with "Game Boy Color" mode? All I'd want is the color and border information from the Japanese releases inserted into the English releases. Would something like this be possible?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:38:57 am by marioxb »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Any way to have a dual compatible "clear" GB Color/ SGB game roms?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 08:58:36 am »
There was a little discussion a few months ago, you can see it http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,21242.msg297093.html#msg297093
It did more than I have ever seen there but still nothing usable and more a curio than anything else. If indeed it turns out that these were just slightly tweaked to run on the GBC but are still mostly GB at heart then it might get somewhere but it is a lot of effort for someone to make.

You would be better off backporting the English script to the Japanese games, if you want to play it on your TV then sorting out a GB player (I should also link http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2782 if I am mentioning such things).

marioxb

• View Profile
Re: Any way to add full Super Game Boy compatability into GB Color roms?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 04:42:52 am »
Thank you. It actually may be easier than originally thought. I must have been thinking of Donkey Kong Land 3 (US version Super Game Boy, Japanese version GBC only). The English Konami games are black carts, but when played in SGB mode, don't have any SGB enhancements, unlike their Japanese counterparts. So maybe the stuff is still there and a flag just needs re-enabled?