News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX (WIP)  (Read 64625 times)

mwksoul

• View Profile
Re: For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX (WIP)
« Reply #240 on: April 28, 2017, 02:43:44 am »
This is looking pretty good already. I wonder if you have considered making some small edits to the sprites to make it more similar to the canceled DX version? Some screenshots can be found at http://www.geocities.co.jp/Bookend-Soseki/4279/dematu3.html

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 28, 2017, 05:31:15 pm »
This is looking pretty good already. I wonder if you have considered making some small edits to the sprites to make it more similar to the canceled DX version? Some screenshots can be found at http://www.geocities.co.jp/Bookend-Soseki/4279/dematu3.html
This was mentioned in this thread, and as it turns out those screenshots are actually mockups made by fans - they don't even comply with GBC's technical limitations. No official screenshot of the cancelled game was shown.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2017, 08:46:22 pm »
Can we get a progress report? I'd like to know roughly how much is done and what's to do, and if you maybe have a rough ETA on when the whole thing will be ready for beta testing. I definitely want to beta test this on the real hardware and be able to report any issues.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2017, 08:50:08 pm »
Wow, I've never seen something like this, ever before.

First, you almost demand a progress report. Next, you almost demand to be a beta tester.
I think the creator of this hack should decide for himself whether progress reports are necessary for the public to see.

I think it sounds pretty rude and disrespectful towards Toruzz, to ask for these things like they are supposed to happen.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:55:52 pm by Thirteen 1355 »

Vortiene

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2017, 06:00:24 pm »

First, you almost demand a progress report. Next, you almost demand to be a beta tester.
I think the creator of this hack should decide for himself whether progress reports are necessary for the public to see.

I think it sounds pretty rude and disrespectful towards Toruzz, to ask for these things like they are supposed to happen.

I don't think he meant it in a rude manner, i think he just wants to know if he can be of help/know the status of the project.

DarioEMeloD

• RomHacking enthusiast / Audio guy
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2017, 06:50:20 pm »
I definitely want to beta test this on the real hardware and be able to report any issues.

Isn't there a risk of damaging real hardware with this kind of hacks? At least there is one case that I know of, but I'm not sure if it's even relevant to this one.

Vortiene

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2017, 03:59:48 pm »
Isn't there a risk of damaging real hardware with this kind of hacks? At least there is one case that I know of, but I'm not sure if it's even relevant to this one.

No. The flash cartridge you use would have to have some design issue for it to damage the hardware.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 02, 2017, 02:03:08 am »
Thanks Thirteen 1355, but as Vortiene said I don't think he meant it in a rude manner  :beer:

I explained a bit about the current status in previous posts, but there is a reason for the apparent lack of progress. On the one hand, I wasted a lot of time trying to gather and make sense of the code -to finally decide on not releasing it at all-, and on the other hand I made some artistic decisions that requires me to rework a lot of what I've done up until now. I also want to add a couple of unannounced things and I'm considering the best way to do so, maybe even starting again from scratch. Keep in mind that I've been learning as I've been making this hack.

Regarding SML2 DX, it's progressing at a very good pace. Apart from a few bugs, most of the code is done.

Rest assured, I don't write to that register at all. It is compatible with real hardware.

PS.- I forgot to say that I already chose the betatesters for my hacks. Sorry guys.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #248 on: May 02, 2017, 02:46:31 am »

You absolutely misunderstand. It isn't my intention to "demand" anything. I have the utmost respect for Toruzz and absolutely appreciate how he's one in a million to even take on a project of this magnitude. I'm simply excited about this project and perhaps that might've came across as rudeness to some. Not my intention at all.

Thanks Thirteen 1355, but as Vortiene said I don't think he meant it in a rude manner  :beer:

I explained a bit about the current status in previous posts, but there is a reason for the apparent lack of progress. On the one hand, I wasted a lot of time trying to gather and make sense of the code -to finally decide on not releasing it at all-, and on the other hand I made some artistic decisions that requires me to rework a lot of what I've done up until now. I also want to add a couple of unannounced things and I'm considering the best way to do so, maybe even starting again from scratch. Keep in mind that I've been learning as I've been making this hack.

Regarding SML2 DX, it's progressing at a very good pace. Apart from a few bugs, most of the code is done.
Rest assured, I don't write to that register at all. It is compatible with real hardware.

PS.- I forgot to say that I already chose the betatesters for my hacks. Sorry guys.

Ah. Still, I'd like to be involved if at all possible.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 02, 2017, 05:42:41 am »
I'm glad you changed the sky color. Do you thik you could give fire mario his proper colors too? White suit and stuff.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 02, 2017, 07:44:32 am »
I found out that Fire Mario in this game doesn't use the white suit according to official artwork for this game: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FfKdZYwvz_g/VKwbiB_Mc8I/AAAAAAAAEbc/N5Mk_gmsnl0/s1600/IMG_0118.jpg

Maybe the white suit can be added as a alternate patch.

The one thing I would like to see change in this game is edit Wario's eyes to look more like the ones from his official artwork: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aD2r0fZTJiw/VKwbvXWUfdI/AAAAAAAAEcA/v0upkU3j2Ow/s1600/IMG.jpg

Here's a link to official artwork from the Japanese manual to help you on the colors for your hack: http://somerussianmariodude.blogspot.com/2015/01/gameboy-game-manuals-3-super-mario-land.html
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:25:21 am by SCD »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 02, 2017, 11:49:41 am »
I can only add to the topic on hand is I say is that you should stay true to just making the color in game and alter graphics as necessary as you state on your first post. If there's tweaks needed to be compatible with the English translation then please do so. I don't think a VWF is necessary if the translation works as is with the color hack. If you wanted to make translation differences, maybe that could be an ammendum included with the color hack or released seperately. Personally I think that should be ironed out before any alterations to the game are made.

This is just of suggestion of course. You can do with your project as you see fit, but that's just my opinion.

As for Super Mario Land 2 DX, I think that if you are planning a release for it, maybe it should be seperated into a seperate topic. I know that both are your projects but it would make it easier to keep track of each project that way.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 02, 2017, 12:06:25 pm »
Can I be a gamma tester then?

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 02, 2017, 12:16:41 pm »
Ah, seems I misinterpreted Satoshi_Matrix's comment. Apologies  ::)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 02, 2017, 11:06:42 pm »
Maybe you should make a seperate thread for sml2 dx. It'd be easier to keep track of.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:46:51 am by MathUser2929 »

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #255 on: December 19, 2017, 03:00:29 am »
Really great work Toruzz. Can't wait for this to be complete, whenever that is. I just finished the game as it was and i'd be really keen to play a colorized version.

Would you be interested in a customized title screen, I mean i'm sure you're more then capable but I mean to match in with the more accurate version of the title. I made a custom boxart for this on the SNES mini and thought maybe you'd be interested in an altered title screen whether from me or just as an idea in general.

This is the boxart I made but I can lift just the title logo for you if you like

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 19, 2017, 03:17:36 am »
Really great work Toruzz. Can't wait for this to be complete, whenever that is. I just finished the game as it was and i'd be really keen to play a colorized version.

Would you be interested in a customized title screen, I mean i'm sure you're more then capable but I mean to match in with the more accurate version of the title. I made a custom boxart for this on the SNES mini and thought maybe you'd be interested in an altered title screen whether from me or just as an idea in general.

This is the boxart I made but I can lift just the title logo for you if you like

Thank you! But PLEASE don't open that can of worms here  :P
Spoiler:
Actually I don't agree with Sakurai's translator, you can see that discussion at the translation thread

BTW, this hack (and by extension this thread) will receive the love it deserves soon enough. It's about time!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:28:10 am by toruzz »

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2017, 03:27:46 am »
Thank you! But PLEASE don't open that can of worms here  :P
BTW, this hack (and by extension this thread) will receive the love it deserves soon enough. It's about time!
No probs man, I must have missed that discussion. With translation a lot gets glossed over and much is open to interpretation so it could really be either (as i'm sure you know) I was just offering to save you any additional hassle if you were interested.

Can't wait dude! For SML2 too but I know this is your baby <3

Aynezz

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 09, 2018, 03:04:38 am »
I just wanted to say that I'm really looking forward to this release. Great work with SML2 DX.

Anything that makes more people aware of the existance of For the Frog the Bell Tolls is a good thing. It's such a great game!

Keep up the good work, toruzz!

CJP

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 14, 2018, 01:54:35 pm »
I am a big fan of zelda link's awakening DX and I knew this game thanks to him, I look forward to this new version of FtFtBT toruzz (especially after the great SML2 DX)!

I hope that this new version is also compatible with the Spanish translation that has been available since recently. Greetings and encourage!  ;)