News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX (WIP)  (Read 66573 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX (WIP)
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2016, 05:47:36 am »
Say, have you considered making the backgrounds of the side-view areas a bit darker? It's what was done for the Seashell Mansion in Link's Awakening DX: bright white on the original GB, dark blue on the GBC.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2016, 09:14:15 am »
This project keeps getting better, keep up the great work.

Queen Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2016, 07:15:18 pm »
Wow. That looks great,I'm glad that this game is getting some well deserved attention. I was charmed immediately by this game when I played it. Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep up the good work.

SORASUNYU

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2016, 07:28:41 pm »
Can we get the colorful English edition ?

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2016, 07:37:50 pm »
Of course it's possible, but you can only take advantage of that feature with an emulator. Here is all the info you may need:
http://bgb.bircd.org/pandocs.htm#sgbborderandobjcommands

Just make sure the header has the correct values and inject the code shortly after the game boots up. I haven't done it yet for this hack, but I'd try first to read all the packets of a random game with BGB and try to replicate them.

What about on a flash cart with a real super game boy
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2016, 10:49:09 am »
What about on a flash cart with a real super game boy

Real Super Gameboy won't run GBC games (at least not in color), so it's moot.

BadChad

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2016, 11:40:54 pm »
Unless it was coded in the same way as Link's Awakening DX where the game is compatible on both GB and GBC hardware.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what your saying. I guess it would still be a neat feature to have, even if you are playing it on your SNES without colour. For a more complete authentic feel of compatibility features anyway...

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2016, 04:55:45 am »
Say, have you considered making the backgrounds of the side-view areas a bit darker? It's what was done for the Seashell Mansion in Link's Awakening DX: bright white on the original GB, dark blue on the GBC.
Actually I recently made them a bit darker. Not as dark as Link's Awakening, as I think it kinda breaks the atmosphere -at least in the inside of the castle. Also, I have to make sure that the background and the foreground have a good contrast.

This project keeps getting better, keep up the great work.
Wow. That looks great,I'm glad that this game is getting some well deserved attention. I was charmed immediately by this game when I played it. Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep up the good work.
Thank you very much, guys  :beer:

Can we get the colorful English edition ?
This question has already been answered before. Yes, you will be able to play this in English.

Regarding the SGB border thing - the SGB won't play GBC-only games as Asaki said, so you can only have a nice SGB border to play the "this is only compatible with GBC" screen. So again, you can only take advantage of such a hack with an emulator that plays GBC+SGB border.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2016, 11:23:02 am »
You can play Link's Awakening on the Super Game Boy, though, can't you? It just looks like it would on a Game Boy except with one green palette throughout the entire game, meaning no unique grass graphics and you can't play the color dungeon.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2016, 01:02:29 pm »
You can play Link's Awakening on the Super Game Boy, though, can't you? It just looks like it would on a Game Boy except with one green palette throughout the entire game, meaning no unique grass graphics and you can't play the color dungeon.
That's right, but I was talking about GBC-only games and Link's Awakening isn't one. You can add a SGB border to GB, GB/GBC and GBC-only games, but to take advantage of the latter you have to use an emulator.

That's the case for this hack, as it won't be compatible with the classic GB.

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2016, 02:19:10 am »
For the border I think maybe the cover art would look better than the island? Also, you can use that same frog from the fan artwork but posed as he is on the cover art (looks like he based it off that anyway), then you won't have to worry about using that guy's work http://imgur.com/a/T7vbo

Also, I think you should change the princess' hair from brunette to blonde, I understand respecting the game but I'm pretty sure Nintendo would change it too as that is how she is everywhere else officially and of course on the main cover art. It just seems weird otherwise
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:24:37 am by Scapetti »

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2016, 04:29:30 am »
For the border I think maybe the cover art would look better than the island? Also, you can use that same frog from the fan artwork but posed as he is on the cover art (looks like he based it off that anyway), then you won't have to worry about using that guy's work http://imgur.com/a/T7vbo

Also, I think you should change the princess' hair from brunette to blonde, I understand respecting the game but I'm pretty sure Nintendo would change it too as that is how she is everywhere else officially and of course on the main cover art. It just seems weird otherwise
I don't want to meddle that much with the game's style to be honest. It would be like fixing Link's pink hair in ALttP - something that shouldn't be done. But I don't know, if the betatesters think it's a major issue I'll reconsider.

Regarding the splash screen, I actually did just that :P The author never replied, so I used some artwork from the manual instead. I don't like it as much as the previous one, so maybe I'll give it another try in the future. It looks like this:

And I just inserted the "only compatible with GBC" screen, which also uses artwork from the manual:

On a different note, I have great news - I contacted this AWESOME artist and he granted me permission to use his art for the SGB border! It needs a lot of fixing and cleaning, but it will look close to this if you guys like it:

And finally, this is how the Overworld map looks as for now:

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2016, 12:06:23 pm »
They all came out great, you did a excellent job on them.

Zeikar

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2016, 08:59:46 pm »
never heard of this game before today, but I want this

Raccoon Sam

• Left is Right and Right is Wrong
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2016, 05:41:05 am »
This looks really really good.
Keep up the good work!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2016, 09:10:50 am »
What you got done looks great. I really like the new border too. Keep up the good work.

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 24, 2016, 08:28:22 pm »
Ahh the overworld is looking great! And yeah, not such a big deal about that splash screen but I do like the sort of half turn side look the frog does in the cover art, (and in the fan art picture), prefer it to the direct face on image you have now, just something about that half cape. So if it was up to me I would have another crack at it and base it on the other image but it's totally up to you and no big deal of course :)

And I was actually going to mention the pink hair thing myself. You know, maybe you could keep the colours how they are and it could be a quirk like that, because who knows if an official colour patch would fix that issue or not, they may have just looked at the in game art and kept it. It would actually put your own spin on it in a way choosing not to fix it, sometimes little mistakes like that are nice and gives things some character, as opposed to just making everything look perfect and exactly like the instruction manual and stuff. So yeah, I'm warming to the idea, maybe.

And sorry for when I criticise things, it's only because I want it to be the very best of course and because I know it's unfinished. Everything is looking so much better now :) It's nice to see the progress you're making.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 25, 2016, 04:01:09 am »
Thank you for your kind words, guys :beer:

@Scapetti I feel the same about the splash screen, so I'll probably change it eventually. And don't worry about criticism, I made this thread to get your feedback and the hack will be better because of that  ;)

By the way, DidYouKnowGaming? featured the hack in their last video!

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 25, 2016, 07:30:04 am »
I watched it earlier, that's pretty cool that they mentioned your hack in one of their videos.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #179 on: December 26, 2016, 04:22:10 pm »
It's great they mentioned you, but it bothers me they just glossed over the fact that you're taking on the enormous task yourself. How many previous GB to GBC conversion projects have been done? Like 2, 3? This effort is not wasted on me or other romhacking.net users. Kudos to you. I can only hope that someday, other GB games like Kirby's Dreamland, Wario Land 1 and the Megaman games will get this kind of treatment.