News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX (WIP)  (Read 66490 times)

toruzz

• View Profile
Re: For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX (WIP)
« Reply #220 on: February 07, 2017, 07:26:52 pm »
If there's one thing I learned about hacking so far is that, unfortunately, you cannot please everyone.
My only suggestion would be to do what you like and, if you do it with passion and care, and you enjoy it, others will :P

I'll only say that I really like the work you have put in this project so far, every aspect of it.
So whatever the final product ends up being, I know for a fact that I'll enjoy it :D
Thank you! :beer: I certainly enjoy making this hack and I want it to be the best it can be, but I know I have to find some balance to finish it in a reasonable time. In any case it won't be finished until I'm satisfied.

To chime in, I also like your new font, and also hate Link's Awakening's approach of Italics everything. VWF is a bit redundant in my opinion, but it isn't bad. Whatever you do, this hack is still amazing.
It's definitely not a must, but I think it helps with really long texts. In any case it's obviously a subjective matter.

The font is italic in Link's Awakening because SPOILER ALERT Link is dreaming/in a dream - and in dreams, as everybody knows, everything is written in italics...

That's my conclusion anyway and I think it is a neat feature - for THAT game.

/dACE
Hah, that's a wild theory (a GAME theory). But I agree that LA's font doesn't fit well in this game.

The one one the right looks great and is far easier to read  :thumbsup:. What font is that?
It's the same VWF I showed you before, I made it based on the one I made for Link's Awakening.

toruzz, your new font suits the game better. This is coming from an actual fine artist if it means anything. Trust your gut because you have a great grasp on color and composition.

Just have to say that I've been following your hack since the beginning and it's people like you who make me want to get into making hacks and homebrews. I am very much looking forward to this release. So far, so good, dude!
I'm always doubting myself, so that actually means a lot coming from an artist. Thank you!

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2017, 09:52:55 am »
I've asked a few people and they all think the same as you. It isn't very encouraging to be honest, and I also want to move on to other projects, so I'll ditch the VWF altogether.

I'm re-reading what I wrote, and it sounds a bit harsher than I meant it to. Sorry about that.

That being said, I'll probably have one final addition before focusing on finishing the hack, and that's to increase the number of characters for the player's name from 4 to at least 6, and also remove the spaces after his name.

So we don't have to name him "SABL" anymore??? =)

Could you add that feature to the straight translation patch too, or would that be too much work?

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2017, 11:57:45 am »
I'll just have a custom font and logo for personal use.

The logo looks nice it would be cool if we could have that! But I am still adamant the title of this game is The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls :P I'll keep arguing that forever! aha

It's like how everyone got used to Earthbound Zero but Nintendo later officially called it Earthbound Beginnings

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 08, 2017, 01:20:09 pm »
I think you have a massive amount of instinct, talent of reworking everything so far, bending the gbc to do your will. And from your page description of Zelda DX Spanish, you show a deeper understanding of intent and themes.

It's beyond safe to say many of us trust your decisions, seeing as you know how to make good ones.

Don't forget that although you want a very high quality 1st release, it's okay to come back with maintenance updates while sneaking in some dishes of post-polish. Besides, as you work on new future projects (with predictable fortunate success), you'll likely discover some new methods you'll want to add back into your older projects.

tl;dr
Color choices are outstanding. Invisible asm hacking is probably even more exceptional.

Please don't burn out over small details - keep your passion and drive going, even if it means focusing on fresh new game material for awhile.

You clearly enjoy this field. And for a first "experimental" project, you churn out material like a champ, while still having so much more vertical height to learn and grow.

Thank you for not abandoning this dx hack!! Let's all stay happy. :mrgreen:

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 08, 2017, 10:01:08 pm »

And I think it looks fine to be honest, however I can't help but think that the gap between the lines is HUGE. I'm considering doing some crazy stuff to implement a 16px height VWF with two different fonts that looks like this:

I liked this one the best, although it sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth.  Otherwise the non-16px font you created looks really nice, too.  Well, that's my opinion thanks for reading.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 08, 2017, 11:17:55 pm »
I'm re-reading what I wrote, and it sounds a bit harsher than I meant it to. Sorry about that.
Don't worry, I asked you guys for feedback and you provided me with an honest one - that's always okay!

So we don't have to name him "SABL" anymore??? =)

Could you add that feature to the straight translation patch too, or would that be too much work?
Yes and yes. I'll send ryanbgstl the code for doing this.

The logo looks nice it would be cool if we could have that!
Hmm, I don't know. My initial idea was to reinsert the translation -if permission was granted- or retranslate it -if it wasn't-, but if I'm leaving the translation as a complete separate thing I think it would be a bit arrogant to just change its logo. We'll see.

But I am still adamant the title of this game is The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls :P I'll keep arguing that forever! aha

It's like how everyone got used to Earthbound Zero but Nintendo later officially called it Earthbound Beginnings
Well, I don't want to revive your battle, but I think this is a tough one  :P IMHO I wouldn't say Sakurai's translator has an official status, especially when it's obvious he wanted to point out the literary reference. Also, the book's title in Japanese is "Taga Tame ni Kane wa Naru", so it makes sense to just change one word in English too -granted, Japanese is very different from English, but it still applies. In any case, both titles work for me.

I think you have a massive amount of instinct, talent of reworking everything so far, bending the gbc to do your will. And from your page description of Zelda DX Spanish, you show a deeper understanding of intent and themes.

It's beyond safe to say many of us trust your decisions, seeing as you know how to make good ones.

Don't forget that although you want a very high quality 1st release, it's okay to come back with maintenance updates while sneaking in some dishes of post-polish. Besides, as you work on new future projects (with predictable fortunate success), you'll likely discover some new methods you'll want to add back into your older projects.

tl;dr
Color choices are outstanding. Invisible asm hacking is probably even more exceptional.

Please don't burn out over small details - keep your passion and drive going, even if it means focusing on fresh new game material for awhile.

You clearly enjoy this field. And for a first "experimental" project, you churn out material like a champ, while still having so much more vertical height to learn and grow.

Thank you for not abandoning this dx hack!! Let's all stay happy. :mrgreen:
Wow! Thank you very much for those kind, encouraging words.

What you said about the maintenance updates is completely true, and while I'd prefer not doing that you raised a good point.
Oh, and I won't be abandoning the hack anytime soon, that's for sure! -but if I were to abandon it I'd release everything I have so someone else can finish it.

I liked this one the best, although it sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth.  Otherwise the non-16px font you created looks really nice, too.  Well, that's my opinion thanks for reading.
Thanks for the feedback :) I probably won't be adding the VWF in this release, but I might do it in the future. We'll see.

releasethedogs

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2017, 12:19:52 am »
I know I am a bit late, but I just wanted to say the bigger font looks great!

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 07, 2017, 07:46:52 am »
Wow, I've always wanted to play this game. A colourised version will surely help!

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 10, 2017, 10:58:30 am »
I thought that it was obvious it worked that way, but maybe I should have used a better example.
Thanks! You're literally the first one to say something nice about it.

Your new one looks great!
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2017, 12:21:21 pm »

How can I help you?
For the time being what I need the most is a good illustration of the Mille-feuille Kingdom map to make a Super GameBoy border similar to the one in Link's Awakening.

What's the source of that map image?  Did it come from the game's original manual, or was there a guide released in Japan that had this?

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2017, 06:25:36 am »
I just noticed that a couple of messages posted before the servers went down are missing, so I'll reply you guys again  :P

I know I am a bit late, but I just wanted to say the bigger font looks great!
Thank you!

What's the source of that map image?  Did it come from the game's original manual, or was there a guide released in Japan that had this?
It's from the original manual, yeah. That being said, the SGB border thing has already been solved, I posted it before. I'll update the first message again to reflect this  :beer:

askjdfhlkjhfvlvbuiyh

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2017, 02:59:41 pm »
Hi toruzz, I just want to say GREAT job so far and keep up the work :)

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 03, 2017, 04:05:44 pm »
Oh cool, I found your SGB border update on page 9.  Looks great!

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2017, 05:28:52 pm »
Thank you guys  :thumbsup:

Just so you know, I started working on Super Mario Land 2 as a side project (but don't worry, I'm still working on this one!), so I'll probably repurpose this thread to host both projects.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2017, 05:38:07 pm »
Thank you guys  :thumbsup:

Just so you know, I started working on Super Mario Land 2 as a side project (but don't worry, I'm still working on this one!), so I'll probably repurpose this thread to host both projects.
AMAZING!
I'd love to see how you progress with SML2 :D
Instant sub as well haha

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 03, 2017, 05:46:31 pm »
Super Mario Land... Never played the series before. I might try it out after you've finished this work.
Are you planning to make a colourised version of Mario Land 1 as well?

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 03, 2017, 06:18:46 pm »
Super Mario Land... Never played the series before. I might try it out after you've finished this work.
Are you planning to make a colourised version of Mario Land 1 as well?
I wasn't even planning on hacking SML2 a few days ago  :P

This project came to life when I started gathering the code for For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX. I realised that I implemented so many hacks over the months that it was going to take a HUGE amount of time and I just didn't feel up for it.

As I wanted to release the code thinking that it might inspire someone else to do a similar hack, I challenged myself to deploy a new one as fast as possible. So here we are.

To answer your question: No, I'm not planning to hack SML at the moment. I love this kind of hacks and I'd gladly help anyone trying to make one, though. I've had an ambitious idea going round in my head for quite a while regarding this topic, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 03, 2017, 06:36:30 pm »
Haha, don't worry. I'm sure people will be totally satisfied with the work you're doing right now (including me).

For the Frog the Bell Tolls has always interested me, ever since I discovered the game through Link's Awakening (DX).

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2017, 06:40:30 pm »
Your Super Mario Land 2 hack looks pretty sharp (changing the 1-Up Heart back into a mushroom is a nice touch). I'd love to see it finished someday!

Maybe once I know more about graphics decompression and ASM hacking and the like, I can create a "DX" version of the Game Boy Tetris Attack (after I hack it back into Panel de Pon, of course).

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 27, 2017, 04:35:28 am »
I like the super mario land 2 hack alot. I think Luigi should be fun to play. You should consider giving him different physics. Also, the sky color is too near grey, you should change it.