News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX (WIP)  (Read 66406 times)

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX (WIP)
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2017, 02:24:58 am »

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2017, 11:53:18 pm »
I forgot to show you the final results:

Before & after (just the sprite colors):

I've been focused on the VWF for a couple of days and hopefully I'll have something to show you soon.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2017, 02:42:53 am »
The lighting effects came out great, excellent job.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 05:46:48 am by SCD »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 25, 2017, 08:39:56 am »
That's definately better. I can see the change in color pretty clearly now.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2017, 10:05:15 am »
Much better!

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2017, 10:30:21 pm »
A compromise between the gray background and the new background would be good I think as our prince kind of blends in too much now. Just a BIT more contrast.. because the background is almost as dark as his hair now. It is better though for sure, just perhaps a little TOO dark now (only by a tiny bit, I'm a perfectionist).

Also I disagree with people about the underwater colour needing to be more drastic... (I noticed it before) You don't really want people to go "OOH he changed colour" when it happens. A subtle effect is much better; like in most 3D games the colours change when you go underwater and it's not an "OH" moment... you don't even notice it! Though I do think you have it okay now, I'm just saying, I disagree with the others here :P

And yeah, definitely like the palette changes throughout. Great work as per usual!

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 05, 2017, 12:58:35 am »
A compromise between the gray background and the new background would be good I think as our prince kind of blends in too much now. Just a BIT more contrast.. because the background is almost as dark as his hair now. It is better though for sure, just perhaps a little TOO dark now (only by a tiny bit, I'm a perfectionist).

Also I disagree with people about the underwater colour needing to be more drastic... (I noticed it before) You don't really want people to go "OOH he changed colour" when it happens. A subtle effect is much better; like in most 3D games the colours change when you go underwater and it's not an "OH" moment... you don't even notice it! Though I do think you have it okay now, I'm just saying, I disagree with the others here :P

And yeah, definitely like the palette changes throughout. Great work as per usual!
Hmm... I think you are right, it needed some contrast - specially after inserting the darker palettes for sprites in caves. I tweaked the background a bit:

Regarding the VWF, I'm not sure about how to proceed anymore. I thought about implementing Link's Awakening VWF edition font at first, but I think that a bigger font would fit this game better. So I made this one:

And I think it looks fine to be honest, however I can't help but think that the gap between the lines is HUGE. I'm considering doing some crazy stuff to implement a 16px height VWF with two different fonts that looks like this:

But before doing that I wanted to ask you because I don't even know anymore - do you think that this would actually improve the game? I don't know because I'm really crazy about font stuff, but this is a text-based game after all.

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2017, 09:14:02 am »
That's MUCH better :D great! And personally... I would prefer the original Link's Awakening font. I don't really think VWF fonts are easier to read (sorry, I know you work hard on them, this is just my preference). I think Nintendo spread them out like that on purpose because of the small screen. I certainly never had a problem with the font in Link's Awakening when I played it back in the day. Perhaps you should focus on the colour patch for now and release a VWF edition later for those who want it?

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 06, 2017, 08:37:46 am »
I don't really understand games that have VWF just for the sake of having it...making the text only take up half of the width of the screen doesn't really improve anything, it just makes more dead space. Even professional translations do this sometimes.

I could see if the game was being re-translated and needed the extra space, but from what I remember, it doesn't really need a new translation.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2017, 09:55:50 am »
This reminds me of DK King of Swing. In both the American and Japanese versions, the font is big and wide enough to fill the entire dialogue box, but the European version made it smaller:

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2017, 08:26:36 pm »
I've asked a few people and they all think the same as you. It isn't very encouraging to be honest, and I also want to move on to other projects, so I'll ditch the VWF altogether. I'll just have a custom font and logo for personal use.

That being said, I'll probably have one final addition before focusing on finishing the hack, and that's to increase the number of characters for the player's name from 4 to at least 6, and also remove the spaces after his name.

DarioEMeloD

• RomHacking enthusiast / Audio guy
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2017, 10:51:42 pm »
I think the VWF doesn't improve much as it is, but it would be useful if you adapted the text to fit the whole text box (eventually using less text boxes to scroll through dialog). The font is actually better in my opinion, as it is easier to read in bigger screens. But no italics please :P

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2017, 11:21:52 pm »
Damn, I came late to the discussion.
I personally loved the VWF rendition you made, toruzz, fits very well and looks easy on the eyes.
I would encourage you to go for it as an Optional or Additional Patch to your already amazing DX hack, but that's up to you.

Can't freaking wait to try this game :D

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 07, 2017, 12:07:06 am »
I think the VWF doesn't improve much as it is, but it would be useful if you adapted the text to fit the whole text box (eventually using less text boxes to scroll through dialog). The font is actually better in my opinion, as it is easier to read in bigger screens. But no italics please :P
I thought that it was obvious it worked that way, but maybe I should have used a better example.

Damn, I came late to the discussion.
I personally loved the VWF rendition you made, toruzz, fits very well and looks easy on the eyes.
I would encourage you to go for it as an Optional or Additional Patch to your already amazing DX hack, but that's up to you.

Can't freaking wait to try this game :D
Thanks! You're literally the first one to say something nice about it.

I'll just forget about the VWF for the time being, but I'm a bit headstrong so I don't completely rule out coming back to it again.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2017, 01:01:04 am »
If there's one thing I learned about hacking so far is that, unfortunately, you cannot please everyone.
My only suggestion would be to do what you like and, if you do it with passion and care, and you enjoy it, others will :P

I'll only say that I really like the work you have put in this project so far, every aspect of it.
So whatever the final product ends up being, I know for a fact that I'll enjoy it :D

Made in China

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 07, 2017, 01:17:30 am »
To chime in, I also like your new font, and also hate Link's Awakening's approach of Italics everything. VWF is a bit redundant in my opinion, but it isn't bad. Whatever you do, this hack is still amazing.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2017, 09:30:31 am »
The font is italic in Link's Awakening because SPOILER ALERT Link is dreaming/in a dream - and in dreams, as everybody knows, everything is written in italics...

That's my conclusion anyway and I think it is a neat feature - for THAT game.

/dACE

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 07, 2017, 12:57:11 pm »
I thought that it was obvious it worked that way, but maybe I should have used a better example.
Thanks! You're literally the first one to say something nice about it.

I'll just forget about the VWF for the time being, but I'm a bit headstrong so I don't completely rule out coming back to it again.

The one one the right looks great and is far easier to read  :thumbsup:. What font is that?

TheCardiganKing

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 07, 2017, 06:31:18 pm »
toruzz, your new font suits the game better. This is coming from an actual fine artist if it means anything. Trust your gut because you have a great grasp on color and composition.

Just have to say that I've been following your hack since the beginning and it's people like you who make me want to get into making hacks and homebrews. I am very much looking forward to this release. So far, so good, dude!

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 07, 2017, 07:26:52 pm »
If there's one thing I learned about hacking so far is that, unfortunately, you cannot please everyone.
My only suggestion would be to do what you like and, if you do it with passion and care, and you enjoy it, others will :P

I'll only say that I really like the work you have put in this project so far, every aspect of it.
So whatever the final product ends up being, I know for a fact that I'll enjoy it :D
Thank you! :beer: I certainly enjoy making this hack and I want it to be the best it can be, but I know I have to find some balance to finish it in a reasonable time. In any case it won't be finished until I'm satisfied.

To chime in, I also like your new font, and also hate Link's Awakening's approach of Italics everything. VWF is a bit redundant in my opinion, but it isn't bad. Whatever you do, this hack is still amazing.
It's definitely not a must, but I think it helps with really long texts. In any case it's obviously a subjective matter.

The font is italic in Link's Awakening because SPOILER ALERT Link is dreaming/in a dream - and in dreams, as everybody knows, everything is written in italics...

That's my conclusion anyway and I think it is a neat feature - for THAT game.

/dACE
Hah, that's a wild theory (a GAME theory). But I agree that LA's font doesn't fit well in this game.

The one one the right looks great and is far easier to read  :thumbsup:. What font is that?
It's the same VWF I showed you before, I made it based on the one I made for Link's Awakening.

toruzz, your new font suits the game better. This is coming from an actual fine artist if it means anything. Trust your gut because you have a great grasp on color and composition.

Just have to say that I've been following your hack since the beginning and it's people like you who make me want to get into making hacks and homebrews. I am very much looking forward to this release. So far, so good, dude!
I'm always doubting myself, so that actually means a lot coming from an artist. Thank you!