News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX (WIP)  (Read 71347 times)

Vortiene

• View Profile
Re: For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX (WIP)
« Reply #180 on: December 27, 2016, 12:43:41 am »
Regarding the splash screen, I actually did just that :P The author never replied, so I used some artwork from the manual instead. I don't like it as much as the previous one, so maybe I'll give it another try in the future. It looks like this:

If you plan on having splash screens after booting the game up, if you can please make them immediately skippable, so if people play the game on an everdrive for example they can get into the game quickly without needing to use a platform with save states.

Scapetti

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 28, 2016, 10:49:41 pm »
I can only hope that someday, other GB games like Kirby's Dreamland, Wario Land 1 and the Megaman games will get this kind of treatment.

Also Mole Mania and Kid Icarus, basically all Nintendo developed games that didn't get the colour treatment

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2016, 12:34:04 am »
Well, priorities. Let's pipedream about games that color would greatly enhance over what the SGB alone can do. Mole Mania works pretty well as a SGB title as it is and Of Myths & Monsters isn't an especially great game. Not suggesting that it wouldn't be great to see them, but I'd put other projects like Mario Land 2, Megaman V or any of the Kirby games ahead of those.

releasethedogs

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2016, 02:34:56 am »
Well, priorities. Let's pipedream about games that color would greatly enhance over what the SGB alone can do. Mole Mania works pretty well as a SGB title as it is and Of Myths & Monsters isn't an especially great game. Not suggesting that it wouldn't be great to see them, but I'd put other projects like Mario Land 2, Megaman V or any of the Kirby games ahead of those.

If I could choose any game to put into color it would be Trip World or Roland's Curse 2.
Also as far as easy game to colorize: Boomer's Adventure in ASMIK World, Catrap/Pitman and Chalvo 55. All these games use a really simple and static tileset yet are still really fun AND are not in color on any platform.

Edit: I'd do the colorization if someone else would do the hacking and give me direction on what guidelines to use.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2016, 05:24:37 am »
I tried using the colorizer to colorise Rolan's Curse 2 long ago but it didn't work. I guess it'd need to be done by hand. That would be a great game to colorise tho. So fun.

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
  • They actually updated this site. Hallelujah.
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2017, 11:37:04 am »
What a strange, meaningless coincidence. Just a few days ago I saw a video by DYKG on this and was really interested actually. I'll be sure to give this hack a try once I get around to playing it  ;)
Final Fantasy Redux is complete! Download

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2017, 09:48:51 pm »
Thank you guys :beer: I just came back after a long vacation and I'm already working on the project with renewed strength.

It's great they mentioned you, but it bothers me they just glossed over the fact that you're taking on the enormous task yourself. How many previous GB to GBC conversion projects have been done? Like 2, 3? This effort is not wasted on me or other romhacking.net users. Kudos to you. I can only hope that someday, other GB games like Kirby's Dreamland, Wario Land 1 and the Megaman games will get this kind of treatment.
Thank you! I really hope this project encourage other people to make other colorization projects.

I'd do the colorization if someone else would do the hacking and give me direction on what guidelines to use.
Actually, this is something I considered - I can write the code for another game and let somebody else choose and apply the colors, which is really tedious. But maybe it's better to teach a man to fish instead of giving him a fish, I don't know. We'll see.

Returning to this project, I'm thinking about changing the sprite's palettes depending on the location a la Shantae GBC.
A picture is worth a thousand words:

I haven't implemented it yet, but it's really easy to do so with my current code. I'm also thinking about changing the palette depending on whether the sprite is inside the water or not, but that would be a bit more complex to implement.

What do you think?

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2017, 10:31:11 pm »
I like that idea, you should definitely add that to your project. It looks really cool.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 15, 2017, 02:02:25 am »
Same here!
I like the idea too :)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 15, 2017, 05:25:24 am »
It's a neat little touch.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2017, 08:06:25 pm »
I just implemented this:

I really like it, but I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off as it creates a lot of bugs. I'll keep trying, that's for sure.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2017, 01:20:31 am »
You mean turning into a green frog I hope you get to keep it. It looks great.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2017, 01:58:33 am »
You mean turning into a green frog I hope you get to keep it. It looks great.
Not that, the change in color of the Frog when it goes in the water.
Notice when he jumps out of the water, you see a more vibrant shade of green, but when the frog goes back into the water, the green turns into a darker shade of green.

Really neat work toruzz!
Can't wait to see what else you have in store! :D

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2017, 01:59:29 am »
If the palette change is subtle enough that people can't tell what's added, I think it needs to be more drastic.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2017, 02:12:45 am »
Not that, the change in color of the Frog when it goes in the water.
Notice when he jumps out of the water, you see a more vibrant shade of green, but when the frog goes back into the water, the green turns into a darker shade of green.

Really neat work toruzz!
Can't wait to see what else you have in store! :D
Thanks! Also thank you for the explanation :P

If the palette change is subtle enough that people can't tell what's added, I think it needs to be more drastic.
I think it's not that perceptible precisely because it's working.
Here is a comparison so you can see that the difference is noticeable:

In any case the colors are placeholders for now :)

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 17, 2017, 01:02:56 pm »
That's a very nice touch. Actually I was secretly hoping it would be like that  :laugh:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2017, 03:43:55 pm »
One thing worth noting:

Check the stalactites on the cave, the tips have some sort of purple squares.
This ones could be avoided by using the white colour of the stalactites in place of the purple, or maybe even use the transparent background instead of the purple.
Small little thing, but hope it helps as feedback!

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2017, 05:46:46 pm »
One thing worth noting:

Check the stalactites on the cave, the tips have some sort of purple squares.
This ones could be avoided by using the white colour of the stalactites in place of the purple, or maybe even use the transparent background instead of the purple.
Small little thing, but hope it helps as feedback!
Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:
Actually I haven't fixed it (yet) for a reason. If you look closely, those tiles are also found underwater and the background color isn't white but the second color, so I can't just change it. Also there isn't transparent for BG on GBC.

The solution is to insert an edited version of those tiles on my alternate tileset on VRAM1, but I have to think carefully before filling in any slots for a number of reasons. So I'm finishing the important stuff first and, if there is enough room left, I'll edit the 'low priority' tiles.

EDIT: Forget about what I just said. I think it looks better without the gray background:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:55:04 pm by toruzz »

Zeikar

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2017, 11:12:53 am »
noice

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2017, 11:40:03 am »
EDIT: Forget about what I just said. I think it looks better without the gray background:

Nice! :D
Looks freaking sweet!