News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Final Fantasy IV - The Un-J2e Version  (Read 10418 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Final Fantasy IV - The Un-J2e Version
« on: April 03, 2016, 09:23:45 pm »

Update By: Spooniest

There've been quite a few passes at this, but after some careful reflection upon the matter, it was decided to go farther.

So here it is: J2Evisceration, so named because it removes a lot that doesn't need to be there. The swearing is 99% gone (sometimes it is implied but not outright said), the translation errors ("Cafe" is now "Pub", "Gravitation" is now "Magnetism"), and the just purely made up stuff that J2e added in are all gone, and replaced with whatever works, or sometimes, what is after all the Steam version.

This is intended to replace Cosmetic Changes 2, and yes, if you're wondering, Tellah yells "You spoony bard."

Interesting side note re: Edward/Gilbert. His name appears to default to Gilbert when using Snes9x, but on a more accurate emulator (bsnes) it defaults to Edward.

It's an interesting feature to have. Did you know a bug becomes a feature when you document it? :D

Please, enjoy yourselves.

~ Spooniest

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Translations: Final Fantasy IV - The Un-J2e Version
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 09:36:19 pm »
the just purely made up stuff that J2e added in are all gone, and replaced with whatever works

This sounds to me like you replaced stuff that was just made up with other stuff that was just made up.

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 09:39:59 pm »
This sounds to me like you replaced stuff that was just made up with other stuff that was just made up.

Well, the problem in the cases we are talking about was that everything that was not just made up (i.e. commercially released) was either of not-so-good quality (See Legends of Localization) or too much text (See The Steam Version).

I do take one opportunity for a joke, but I keep it directly FF-related, and leave the fourth wall alone.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 01:30:14 am »
"Did you know a bug becomes a feature when you document it?"

pretty sure that's not true.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 07:55:35 am »
"Did you know a bug becomes a feature when you document it?"

pretty sure that's not true.

It's what we call an extremely stupid joke.

Sorry.

liraman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 02:51:51 pm »
Hi, i hope you removed Porom's William Shatner joke line dedicated to Baigan ,

i did'nt play much after that point.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 02:54:02 pm »

The line belonged to Palom, but it has been edited to:

Palom: Could you possibly act any worse?
Porom: You'd think he'd try harder to fool us.

In the J2e Porom speaks first, even though Palom has just animated (He does a little "spin"). I have modified this so that Palom animates and then has his line, then Porom chimes in. This is closer to the Steam version, and indeed Porom's line is word-for-word.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:04:33 pm by Spooniest »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 03:56:36 pm »

Because you couldn't find the time or because the Shatner joke ruined it for you?

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 04:18:30 pm »
I'll be frank: Shatner jokes ruin things, unless those things happen to be directly involving Shatner.

Star Trek, TJ Hooker, Crap My Dad Says, all are fair game.

When we're talking about Final Fantasy, let's leave Shatner out of it shall we?

replicant1027

• "He say you Bwade Runna, Mr. Dekker"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 04:34:12 pm »
This patch is listed as an "Addendum" on its RHDN project page, however, RHDN policy dictates:

"Addendum: This is for cases where new person/s improve or fix old patches released from other people while promoting good community ethics. Archives should contain a patch that patches an originally patched work."

As the patch needs to be applied to a clean copy of the Japanese FFIV ROM and not J2e's original work, it does not fit the criteria.

That being said, joelsmith380's "FF4 - Cosmetic Changes" addendum patch also does not fit this criteria either.

I personally think it would make the most sense for RHDN to only host addendum patches in the form outlined above. Otherwise, addendum patches are at times to be submitted and accepted containing work not solely of he author/s, which doesn't promote good community ethics.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 04:38:17 pm »
I did submit credits to the site that reflect the work done prior to this patch's creation.

If it's that big an issue I can rig up a patch that goes over the J2e version for everyone...let it not be said I am not in favor of good community ethics.

I also feel that it's interesting to note that I did not remove J2e's credits from the end credits scroll. They plug a website there as well, if I recall correctly.

replicant1027

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 04:45:16 pm »
I did submit credits to the site that reflect the work done prior to this patch's creation.

If it's that big an issue I can rig up a patch that goes over the J2e version for everyone...let it not be said I am not in favor of good community ethics.

I also feel that it's interesting to note that I did not remove J2e's credits from the end credits scroll. They plug a website there as well, if I recall correctly.

My last comment was a general comment in regards to the loophole in the RHDN system that allowed for what I thought to be a potentially unethical issue; I'm not lying any blame on you specifically. I did notice you submitted all the appropriate credits and that you mentioned you had Joelsmith380's permission for his work.

As for J2e's credits, I think you practiced good ethics in keeping them, as the patch is based upon their work.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:52:23 pm by replicant1027 »

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 04:47:45 pm »
Since I posted my reply ^ I've created said IPS file. It is for an unheadered J2e 3.21 rom.

So that's how fast I snapped to attention, just saying. I'll wait until some official word comes down before submitting it, though, if you don't mind too much.

replicant1027

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 05:02:51 pm »
Since I posted my reply ^ I've created said IPS file. It is for an unheadered J2e 3.21 rom.

So that's how fast I snapped to attention, just saying. I'll wait until some official word comes down before submitting it, though, if you don't mind too much.

Its all cool; no hate here.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:10:36 pm by replicant1027 »

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 05:13:31 pm »
I just really don't want to upset anyone, that's the last thing I want in the world.

liraman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 06:01:03 pm »
Because you couldn't find the time or because the Shatner joke ruined it for you?

Lol , no, i've played this like 10 years ago, maybe more.  funny is that i don't remember anything remarkable on the traslation but that one line that felt soo out of place.

I played FFII US many times , i just picked up this traslation out of curiosity (J2e)  , but didn't find that interesting to finish it. I was looking forward for the missing battle commands, items abscent and tidbits of story and dialog that have been censored  Ex.("the moon is the color of our blood") , but got my dose of those on the GBA version.

On a side Note, i've helped testing when the RPGONE's retraslation for FFVI was made on 2004, after all this time it seems that traslation is not in peopleĀ“s high regard as it misses much of Woolsey's style... 

thing is, i think these revisions (or Addendums),  like this one from spooniest, are great as they help blend correct traslation and style found on such memorable titles

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:07:31 pm by liraman »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 07:45:57 pm »
I'll be frank: Shatner jokes ruin things, unless those things happen to be directly involving Shatner.

I like that this has been singled out. Any time localization comes up this immediately comes to mind. I always hated the Shatner reference. It is a huge stain that I cannot erase from my memory. I hated it that much. LOL
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 08:42:02 pm »
Of all the fan translations I have encountered on my travels, theirs was the most... :'( human.

:D

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 03:21:59 am »
Great idea, it is however a shame that the textboxes are still too wide as opposed to the original. I believe this looks ugly.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 04:51:31 am »
Great idea, it is however a shame that the textboxes are still too wide as opposed to the original. I believe this looks ugly.

You mean during battle? The top message window? The one that announces what spell or ability you're currently using?

I looked at the Japan version just now and indeed the message box for battles is only over the right hand side of the screen. This appears to be an addition to the game that was done by J2e, to accomodate the fact that English uses more characters than Japanese.

I would be afraid to change it, that sounds like it would break things.

I guess there's a digit somewhere at some address that determines the width of the message box, that can be edited? I wouldn't have any idea where to start looking.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:23:07 am by Spooniest »