News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Overhead Adventure Games  (Read 2773 times)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Overhead Adventure Games
« on: March 25, 2016, 10:09:24 am »
Looking for overhead adventure games with very minimal-to-no-combat for my significant other.

GBC preferred. Anything NES-GBA okay. Can't do PSP or DS, sadly.

Both Survival Kids have been hits, but Zelda had "too much combat." Also finds JRPG-style menu-based combat unappealing (as Earthbound was amiss as well)

Please suggest away.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Overhead Adventure Games
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 12:36:13 pm »
Is combat an aversion to violence and similar imagery or just not something that is found enjoyable? On enjoyable then it might want to be the right kind of combat (zelda style press a is boring, learn combos and think through things in something like Summon Night Swordcraft Story on the GBA is a different matter). Were it not the case then for the GBC I would say have a look at warriors of might and magic but that can be annoyingly hard. If it is not imagery then there are some more horror/stealth based things you might look into. Likewise on the GBA and such there might be some side scrollers that are less combat heavy, most will be licensed crap though. Thinking about it the GBC might tell a similar story but maybe look at something like Tiny Toon Adventures: Dizzy's Candy Quest.
Actually no combat is going to make this really hard as most such games feature it prominently. Sorting out a DS or PSP might also expand your options a bit.

GBA I do like the Shining Soul games but they are all about the combat at points. Similar story for some of the Lord of the Rings games.

PS1. The Alundra games are worth a play.

Megadrive/genesis I would say Soleil/Crusader of centy.

More puzzle than adventure but GBA kururin series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78eHxHYUmJs

I probably should say Harvest Moon, though if you want adventure then Rune Factory is where it is at but starts on the DS so eh.

You stumped me, I am going to have to go think about this one.  I have played many such games but they all kind of died off just before the NES hit and with things like Contact then made a brief appearance on the DS, along with several other once dead gameplay types, before vanishing again. I do not think there is even a notable PC market like you might see in visual novels or hidden object puzzle games.

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 12:54:46 pm »
I probably should say Harvest Moon, though if you want adventure then Rune Factory is where it is at but starts on the DS so eh.

Rune Factory is rockin'!

Woot woot!

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 01:04:04 pm »
Detective Conan: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2151/

An overhead adventure with no combat at all for the GBC.
There has to be a better life.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 01:49:13 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamtaro:_Ham-Ham_Heartbreak
Hamtaro Ham-Ham Heartbreak, Its been awhile but I remember it being quite good.
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Floor Baba - WIGGLECORE - https://youtu.be/qUeHc1QLxnU

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 01:58:11 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamtaro:_Ham-Ham_Heartbreak
Hamtaro Ham-Ham Heartbreak, Its been awhile but I remember it being quite good.

Ham Ham Heartbreak and its predecessor for the GBC are both really good.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 08:15:51 pm »
What about that Marvelous game on the SNES? I take it that it was built from the ALttP engine but it seems to involve more puzzles, character interaction and scavenger hunting.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 12:00:24 am »
@Fast
the aversion to combat is merely a dislike for any reflexes-based gameplay instead puzzle-solving / stories.

@mx
Detective Conan is a perfect suggestion, but forgot to mention that we've already played through that one. Anything else along those lines would be great though.

Shall look into the Hamtaro and other suggestions as well.

The DS is definitely the system we need to be looking into, but with region issues, firmware updating, the assorted flash cart options, (and having to import or pay heavily marked up prices) it's a bit daunting to bite the bullet on one.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 01:18:37 pm »
Have you tried Famicom Detective Club 2 for SNES? It's not an overhead action game by any account (it's more of a visual novel), but it has an incredible story. No combat that I can remember, just some puzzles and some AWESOME translation work.  :)

The DS is definitely the system we need to be looking into, but with region issues, firmware updating, the assorted flash cart options, (and having to import or pay heavily marked up prices) it's a bit daunting to bite the bullet on one.

I hear you there. A friend of mine got lucky (very, VERY lucky) and found an R4 card at a local pawnshop for 5-10 dollars. Maybe you might get lucky as well scoping out a couple pawnshops in your area as well?

Oh, if you or your loved one happen to use Android phones, there's a $5 DS emulator available that seems to be 10000% more stable than the one for PC. From watching my friend play it on his phone, it's simple and highly customizable, and makes games like The Sims 2 look like Gamecube games compared to the actual handheld.

Also, I know you said you can't do PSP, but if you happen to come across one (like say you check a pawnshop for an R4 card for DS, and happen to find an affordable PSP-Slim 2000 in good shape) putting custom firmware on it'll allow you and your loved one play damn near every older console up to PS1, you can play PSP isos (as well as rip them from your UMDs with the PSP itself with the right homebrew), and I've seen a plethora of homebrew games and older PC game ports for it as well.

Sorry if this is like a waterfall of text to go through haha. Hope you and your loved find some fun stuff to play!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 01:54:38 pm »
On the DS then if you get a DS or DS lite then no DS slot flash cart was ever blocked (not all are good but pretty much any will allow you to get most things done), there are no region issues beyond Chinese games (and even there it is trivial, not to mention there are all of about 5 games released in Chinese), no firmware updates to worry about (you could do flashme I guess hey).
I don't know what the second hand market is like there but seeing some of the stuff here and what https://www.youtube.com/user/BitHead1000 gets at times then you should be able to find a DS/DS lite for a while yet.

If you wanted a DSi or a 3ds then you can get into fun there with updates and what have you but the DSi has no games really (not to mention flash carts/methods to run them are iffy) and the DS side of the 3ds more or less amounts to buy a dstwo or r4i gold.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 06:33:49 pm »
If you do go for 3ds/ds r4i3ds gold flashcart is cheap and works very well on all firmwares so far (but only plays ds games)
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Floor Baba - WIGGLECORE - https://youtu.be/qUeHc1QLxnU