News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: GBA Harvest Moon graphical woes (possible compression?)  (Read 1496 times)

KeiTaRo

• View Profile
GBA Harvest Moon graphical woes (possible compression?)
« on: March 19, 2016, 09:28:39 pm »
SO! I'm at my wit's end with this game. I am trying to make an aesthetic upgrade for Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town (sound and graphics) as it very desperately needs it. Things like character sprites, items, portraits and field obstacles (rocks, stumps, etc) are all uncompressed and easily available to me in TLP. The thing that is stumping me is tileset graphics. Stuff like the player's home, stuff around the farm, even just the grass...nothing.

I wanted to start off simple by just editing the graphics of things around the farm, such as the player's home, the barn, the grass and fence....etc. First assumption is that the graphics might be in 8bpp format...nope. Loaded the game in to UN-LZ and other compression scanners....nadda. Looking at the tile viewer in VBA, I noticed it loads some garbage a split second before a new tileset which made me think its decompressing them? :| I have very limited ASM knowledge so if tracing is what I have to do, someone would need to hold my hand a little (I know how to write a breakpoint whenever graphics are loaded in to an address in memory, but then after that I'm totally lost  :beer: )

...I would love to be able to be more independent with these kind of things, so if anyone has an explanation, I would really like to learn so I can do this myself in the future. Right now, I'm sorta just losing my mind figuring this out however. I thought GBA games were simple :(

edit: and yes, I have googled for a solution already...I am trying to be at least a LITTLE self-sufficient :P I just don't understand why I cannot find these graphics...if they were compressed, UNLZ or the like should have found them, right?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:59:39 pm by KeiTaRo »

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Re: GBA Harvest Moon graphical woes (possible compression?)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 03:14:59 pm »
This might be related http://ximwix.net/mirrors/rhdn/index.php@topic=4232.0.html
Im not sure they managed to figure out the problem either though, maybe Natsume used some kind of custom compression?
If you get this sorted out I would be interested as Harvest Moon FoMT was up next on my list after I finish what im working on now.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:28:57 pm by SleepyFist »
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Floor Baba - WIGGLECORE - https://youtu.be/qUeHc1QLxnU