News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Fun/Favorite Dreamcast Games?  (Read 5773 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Fun/Favorite Dreamcast Games?
« on: March 10, 2016, 04:37:48 pm »
So, I just now realized there's a Dreamcast emulator that doesn't run like a corpse kneedeep in maple syrup, and have been having an absolute blast playing Rush 2049 in 1280 x 800. I haven't been blown away so much by this game since the first time I popped the actual disc into my Dreamcast (which until then I had no idea this game released on a platform besides N64).

But the thing is, I haven't a real clue what other awesome games this console has to offer. My collection consists mainly of Rush, Sonic Adventure 2, MvC2, and Soul Reaver. There are others I play from time to time, but these 4 are the ones that that I remember offhand.

So I figured why not start a conversation about what Dreamcast games we like?  :beer:

If you're wondering what emulator I'm using, it's called NullDC 1.0.4 Final. Thing runs like a DREAM compared to what I was expecting.  :woot!:

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Fun/Favorite Dreamcast Games?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 05:19:18 pm »
Skies of Arcadia.

I'd play Shenmue 1 and 2 once if you are interested in gaming history up to today, because the influence those games had, however hard they flopped, is tremenduous.

For multiplayer fun, Powerstone.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 05:26:06 pm »
What are your concerns with regards to exclusives and console exclusives? It is perhaps not quite as bad as the original xbox but such a thing could narrow options a bit. This on top of the games not ageing the best, most are still pretty playable unlike the N64 library but if we are doing examples of the gameplay style then the options get somewhat more limited.

Jet Set Radio/Jet Grind Radio I quite enjoyed, not sure how well it might have aged.
Skies of Arcadia had its moments and still beats a lot of games released today, but I would probably look to the Gamecube version instead.
Record Of Lodoss War could be worth a look. Alas it appears to be one of the single player takes on this gameplay style and they are so much better with multiplayer (even if many devs do not think so any more).
A quick scan of the list reminded me Seventh Cross Evolution exists, but I would probably play spore instead.
I liked Phantasy Star Online but I am not sure it holds up both in general, let alone with the sequels.
Resident Evil Code Veronica. Never played the other versions out there but I reckon this will still get it done.
Mr Driller was since done better but this version was by no means bad.
Shenmue is perhaps worth a play. Shenmue II maybe, though the xbox version is probably the better bet for me, even though I have yet to get around to doing that version properly.
Star Wars Ep 1 Pod Racer. There is a PC version, and an arcade version as well I guess, but the DC version does somewhat better than the N64 one that I reckon most remember.
I reckon Soul calibur would have aged badly but powerstone could still be worth a look.
Other than Ikaruga and Rez, for both of which I would look to the 360, then I do not know much about the Dreamcast shmup library.

I suppose I will end by saying Sonic Adventure was poor at the time and time has not been kind in the slightest. I have never been able to fathom why it has the fanbase it does.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 06:27:24 pm »
Bangai-O is a masterpiece.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 09:43:49 pm »
Can't say I care for gaming past the 2D cartridge era, but I'd be lying if I said the Dreamcast wasn't the most fun I've had since, so I'll suggest these:

North American releases(not mentioned yet):
Grandia II - most fun you'll have with a turn based menu system, still the best release so far.

Time Stalkers - Climax(LandStalker, Lady Stalker, & Shining in the Darkness, in particular) crossover rogue-like dungeon explorer, that's usually misunderstood for not having been a well told story during the era when FMV's were overtaking the genre. There's tons to do after the very short main story(including following the smaller NPC stories).

Evolution - the sequel might be better gotten through the Gamecube version, but the entirety of the original is exclusive to this one. Same boat as Time Stalkers, it's more of a treasure hunting dungeon crawler than a story.

Dynamite Cop - it's amazing they never got around to a 4th Streets of Rage, because Sega pulled off 3D beat 'em ups at this point in time, when everyone else kind of sucked at them.

E.G.G.: Elemental Gimmick Gear - the obligatory action/adventure game, with hand drawn art, and 3D boss battles.

Power Stone II - Some prefer the original, this one gets crazier, with more interactive stages and the like

Cannon Spike - rollerskate run 'n gun Capcom crossover(if I remember correctly Cammy, Mega Man and Arthur(G'nG) are in this, possibly B. B. Hood(Darkstalkers) as well)

The House of the Dead 2 - awesome light gun game, with B-movie acting, but you'd need a CRT if you picked it up for the actual console.

Heavy Metal GeoMatrix/Spawn: in the Demon's Hand - similar arena fighters as the Power Stone games, but with their own twists, and the licenses attached to them. Also by Capcom(when they were at their best)

Japanese exclusives:
Wrestling fans can't go wrong with any of the options here.

Godzilla Generations Maximum Impact - rail shooter with the Panzer Dragoon/E-102(Sonic Adventure) style targeting.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:14:15 pm by FallenAngel2387 »

filler

• "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 04:11:58 am »
Great question!

I second Cannon Spike. It's structured like a shmup. It took me a while to get used to it, but now that I have, I love it.

Speaking of shmups, Gunbird 2 is excellent. The Japanese Karasu is quite interesting from what I've played too.

Charge 'n Blast was a surprise for me. Again it takes a little getting used to, but it's enjoyable.

Illbleed is one of my all time favorites on the system. It's definitely weird. The game-play is very unique, and it's a very tongue-in-cheek horror/survival game. If you can get your head around the game-play, and the sense of humor clicks for you, it's an amazing experience.

I can second Time Stalkers as well, but don't expect the world from it. An enjoyable, if quirky, rouge-like.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 11:06:17 am »
Soul Calibur, Rez, Cannon Spike, Magnetic Neo, Typing of the Dead, ChuChu Rocket.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:01:39 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 05:49:18 pm »
I own a Dreamcast but never had very many games for it,
Of the ones Ive played, I recommend Jet Grind Radio, Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future, House of the Dead 2/Typing of the Dead, Chicken Run, and Crazy Taxi.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 10:59:00 pm »
If I were to take a stack of DC games home with me today, it'd be the following is this order:

Seaman
Shenmue
Shenmue II (PAL)
Fatal Fury: MotW
SF III Double Impact & 3rd Strike
Jet Grind Radio
Typing of the Dead
Kof 99 Dream Match (98)
ChuChu Rocket
Dynamite Cop (which I played in arcades, and didn't know was a Dreamcast game until this thread)
Power Stone 1 & 2
SF Alpha 3

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 12:53:18 am »
The Dreamcast has a ton of awesome games, here's my top 10 favorites in alphabetical order:

Bangai-O (PAL version)
BioHazard Code: Veronica Complete
ChuChu Rocket!
Crazy Taxi
Fire Pro Wrestling D
Jet Set Radio
Rez
Sonic Adventure International
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 09:09:31 pm »
Bangai-O (PAL version)

What makes the PAL version different from the standard US release?

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 10:15:27 pm »
What makes the PAL version different from the standard US release?

It's uncensored, they censored a couple things in the American version because of controversial reasons:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/bangaio/bangaio-euro.png
http://segaretro.org/images/thumb/a/a8/Bangaio_dc_jp_manual.pdf/page14-606px-Bangaio_dc_jp_manual.pdf.jpg

Hopefully someone will hack the American version and restore those images back to that version so it will be uncensored once again. Including making it VGA compatible as well.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:44:15 pm by SCD »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 10:43:57 pm »
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation and Tomb Raider Chronicles are both on Dreamcast, and I've heard that those are the definitive versions of those games.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Splatter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 06:15:45 am »
Zombie Revenge is a fun Dynamite Cop-style spin-off of The House of the Dead.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 07:18:01 pm »
I don't know if the game if good but I have heard about this :
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lovedelic/lovedelic3.htm

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 03:24:51 pm »
Illbleed is a fun little adventure produced by the guys who did Blue Stinger and Landstalker for the Genesis. The Toy Hunter segment was funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFPiKgjW7L4

filler

• "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 03:55:17 am »
Illbleed is a fun little adventure produced by the guys who did Blue Stinger and Landstalker for the Genesis. The Toy Hunter segment was funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFPiKgjW7L4
The monkeys with the goggles always cracked me up. Thev woodpuppet level was always pretty creepy.

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 11:01:50 pm »
but watching supergreatfriend play illbleed is way more fun lol
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 07:38:51 am »
The posters on this thread have good taste! \o/ Let me add:

Dead or Alive 2:

- it kills me how this game still holds up today. Be it for the graphics or the gameplay,

- this is one of those fighting games where the learing curve is handled very well, every time you play, you learn something,

- the special moves are satisfying,

- on the Dreamcast there're:  Dead or Alive 2 / Dead or Alive 2: Limited Edition (+2 new characters, costumes, stages,...) / Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore. I never played the Hardcore Edition.
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)