News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Rainbow Silkroad Translation Finished  (Read 5156 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Rainbow Silkroad Translation Finished
« on: March 10, 2016, 12:25:15 am »

Update By: Pennywise

Today aishsha and Pennywise present to you a completed translation of Rainbow Silkroad for the NES. It is the culmination of many hours of hard work that we hope everyone will enjoy.

Back around 2000, Gaijin Translations translated the game. While there was nothing glaringly wrong and/or bad about it, we felt the translation was abbreviated perhaps to its detriment in spots. We employed our numerous tricks in ROM expansion, various interface hacks and a neat feature that allows you to name our player 8 characters instead of 4.

Why reinvent the wheel when there was already a serviceable, if uninspiring, translation already in the wild for over a decade? Well, we had just finished working on our translation of Sansara Naga (a classic that everyone should play) and decided to check out other games by the same devs. It just so happened that Rainbow Silkroad was made by the same devs and the rest is history.

We'd like to thank M-Tee for his title screen and Eien ni Hen's help in shaping the final translation.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

getter77

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Rainbow Silkroad Translation Finished
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:24:27 am »
Excellent to see this given the royal treatment.   8)

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 11:02:57 am »
Wow, only 10 minutes into this game just to see the two translations and how they differ, and the difference in them, it's night and day different. Highly recommend this over the old english translation.

GeoX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 02:34:41 pm »
Right, I made an account specifically to say how cool this is and to thank the translators.  Well do I remember thinking that this game was cool but that the [old] translation's obvious space limitations felt like they were kind of strangling it.  Maybe now I'll have an incentive, after all these years, to play through the whole thing!

butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 03:31:28 pm »
i'm having trouble finding the correct rom with crc 931A2768 to apply the patch, non of the goodset roms or no intro roms have the right crc, not in my set versions anyhow.
 any help would be great guys :)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 03:38:38 pm »
Well, when it comes to crc's, I'm lazy with that stuff. Honestly, I just copied the rom info from gaijin's translation figuring it would be the same.

butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 03:51:30 pm »
fair enough :) does anyone know if the patch works fine with the no intro the patch work fine with the no intro rom with crc 5BD1AC0B ?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 03:58:03 pm »
The patch is based off of the no-intro ROM. AFAIK, there is no difference between the no-intro ROMs and the common dump for the regular Japanese ROM.

butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 01:54:01 pm »
ok, thanks for the info, i will apply the patch to the no intro rom now :)

releasethedogs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 09:01:05 pm »
I played through this once before and now i am excited to play through it once again.

Now if someone would translate a Monster Maker game ...

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 01:25:26 am »
I played through this once before and now i am excited to play through it once again.

Now if someone would translate a Monster Maker game ...
Strange as is, I and I think Penny too were considering that one. Don't jump outta pants though as none work has been done there yet. Still have our hands full with other projects.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 10:49:25 am »
I think I'll work on Monster Maker III. Right now I'm at least getting a "placeholder" translation for my long-in-the-works SD Gundam Gaiden 1 SFC project. Then I'll get to MM3.
Though Bongo told me it might be tough (hacking-wise), as I suppose a lot of the remaining untranslated SNES RPGs are.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 01:52:07 pm »
I think I'll work on Monster Maker III. Right now I'm at least getting a "placeholder" translation for my long-in-the-works SD Gundam Gaiden 1 SFC project. Then I'll get to MM3.
Though Bongo told me it might be tough (hacking-wise), as I suppose a lot of the remaining untranslated SNES RPGs are.
He meant the NES one I think. SD Gundam Gaiden for NES is like 99% done, btw.

releasethedogs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 08:07:19 pm »
I
ll take any Monster Maker game on any platform. I got some of the card games when I was in Japan and translated them with google and an iPhone. You can scan the cards and then select the text. Other than some obvious mistakes "cool" instead of "ghoul" it went well. Later I scanned in all the cards, captured the art and then re-laid them out in Adobe Indesign. Makes a nice print and play.

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 12:32:34 pm »
Great work!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:26:25 pm by danke »