News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tile editor that displays the tiles' palettes correctly?  (Read 1662 times)

Synnae

• View Profile
Tile editor that displays the tiles' palettes correctly?
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:30:53 pm »
Hi. I'm looking for a tile editing program that displays all tiles' palettes exactly like how they are shown in the game. Tile Layer pro can edit stuff just fine, but the palettes show all incorrectly (and you can only pick a single palette combination for all tiles) so it's a bit hard to find the tiles I'm looking for.

If only the palettes could show properly, things would be easier. Can someone help me?

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Re: Tile editor that displays the tiles' palettes correctly?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 01:43:48 pm »
Hi. I'm looking for a tile editing program that displays all tiles' palettes exactly like how they are shown in the game. Tile Layer pro can edit stuff just fine, but the palettes show all incorrectly (and you can only pick a single palette combination for all tiles) so it's a bit hard to find the tiles I'm looking for.

If only the palettes could show properly, things would be easier. Can someone help me?

What you are seeing is a technical limitation of most tile editors. Palette information is not usually stored in such a way that it can be easily be associated with specific sprites or tile information. Most times, palettes are stored in a completely different area of the ROM-- they can be mixed with code, or rarely, even generated by code. This is can be different depending upon the game you are looking at.

You can typically extract palette info from save states or some emulators will show you what pallettes are currently in use. What game are you looking at, specifically?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:54:22 pm by DackR »

the_ally235

• Renaldo wants Georgio dead.
    • View Profile
    • Starmen Forums Account
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 01:58:03 pm »
I do know that mrtenda from starmen.net made a special hacking program for Earthbound which is called CoilSnake that actually does something very different from what we are more of used to doing (hacking directly into the rom). Basically, CoilSnake DOES show pallets correctly, but mainly because what it does is export data from Earthbound into many different files to be used to correctly AND safely hack Earthbound as when it compiles stuff into a rom, it puts it into an expanded area and assigns everything correctly. But back to the pallets, how it exports the pallets is it puts them with the tileset data and reads the tileset data to load up and show everything correctly, with pallets and all. Programs like that would be able to actually give you the correct pallets in a tile editor. Ask or look for programs kinda like that if you want to see the pallets correctly. Or just do what DackR said if there is no way to do that with the game you are hacking (as I know hacking Earthbound is a lot easier than hacking Sonic games, which is just pure hell in my opinion)
Earthbound Hacker From Starmen.net

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 02:34:09 pm »
What game are you looking at, specifically?

Apart from NES Mega Man stuff, just random games in general.

What I'm trying to do is port graphics from other games into Mega Man (currently Rockman 2 to be more specific), so maybe I could make my own hack.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 11:17:41 pm »
Here are some good documents having to do with editing palettes for the NES:
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=documents&category=&platform=1&game=&author=&perpage=20&level=&title=palette&desc=&docsearch=Go

Hopefully that will get you started. I can't really be any more help with Megaman specifically, unfortunately.