I'm not sure if this would go in Gaming Discussion or ROM Hacking Discussion.. forgive me about that. What exactly would you change about this game to improve it being game play, aesthetics, attacks, equipment, characters, etc.?
1. Personally, I think some party members should be more optional along the way, mainly Jean as an example. I'm not a fan of him whatsoever and he doesn't seem very viable in any instance.. not too mention his story portion of the game is one gigantic pain in the ass mundane task that does nothing. I'd love for it to be a huge side-quest where you could get him, obviously he'd have to be rebalanced, but it'd be more interesting to me in that aspect. It'd be interesting to see Nimufu come into play as a little guest character as well. I'd say Ray for that very temporary part of the game as a 'hard set' PC with no chance of full recruitment as well. Obviously a lot of work for something so little, but a bit more variety doesn't hurt.
2. I'd kill for more background on Patty (Yua)'s life. There's hardly any mention of her at all by Ryu or even anyone else in the game world, what the heck actually happened to her throughout her years?
3. Variety of weapons kind of like Breath of Fire 1 as a very slim example. Having Ryu being able to use the Boomerang or a Sword was actually a really nice touch.
4. More Shaman form variations. I know they gave story reasons for Ryu being the Brood and all.. which is a bit weird considering he's only half-brood. Either way, I'd say allow him to fuse with Shamans. In this instance, I'd say a good trade off would be he gains enhanced stats depending on the Shaman, like other PCs, but to compensate for the overly destructive blood, one of his other stats would have to go down. (Gear wise this could be easily made up since he seems to have more equipment than half of anyone).
5. Maybe a bit more inclusion on Myria near the end of the game. The final boss is a spawn of her, but it'd be a bit more satsifying to hear more about her as you continue in the game, just remnants of the past. Maybe even have Deis say something about it here and there. (Though the fact she's playable was really forced in at last second as seen by her non-existent stab table and random checks to specifically check for her in code).