News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: This Game Boy Color game uses a dictionary--how do I figure it out?  (Read 1425 times)

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm trying to figure out the dictionary used in Lufia: The Legend Returns for Game Boy Color. I have located the dictionary terms, I just don't know how they correlate to the bytes in the dialogue. Does anyone know how I can start figuring this out?
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: This Game Boy Color game uses a dictionary--how do I figure it out?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 11:15:22 am »
Did you find any text that doesn't use the dictionary, to begin building the table?

Otherwise, if you know Z80, you'll have to get a debugging emulator and start working backwards (hopefully, there's a much better tracing emulator than the buggy GEST mod I wrote years ago :D ).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:59:50 pm »
GBC Lufia not only uses MTE, but is also compressed, according to my ancient notes. I didn't take the time to figure out it all, but I do know some sections are not fully compressed and can be put to test, as I got the table.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 11:05:33 pm »
GBC Lufia not only uses MTE, but is also compressed, according to my ancient notes. I didn't take the time to figure out it all, but I do know some sections are not fully compressed and can be put to test, as I got the table.

The uncompressed parts would be some graphical assets and the dictionnary used for MTE (which oddly enough is used for both German and English) and the table is just regular ASCII with some custom chars (which can be figured out from the uncompressed font). Main text isn't visible at all apparently.