News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sega Saturn: Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari  (Read 28921 times)

davelee1982

• View Profile
Re: Sega Saturn: Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 03:31:55 pm »
Here's the entire game's text dumped...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FM-z062xDB0srAYDp85pZ8i9qsTXyIVs/view?usp=sharing

Tried using Google to translate the entire document, but it was a little spotty as expected...
I think this will need the eyes of someone who knows Japanese and also understands the game's context.

LaLaPico

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2018, 09:17:04 am »
Frozen_Fish,

Did you still have the font graphic?

Frozen_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2018, 06:34:49 pm »
Frozen_Fish,

Did you still have the font graphic?

Yep, went back and fixed up my posts. Ah file hosts, so dependable :P

Edit:
The wayback machine has your dead images archived too btw if you care:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170807203152/https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21373.0
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:39:40 pm by Frozen_Fish »

7imebomb7immy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2018, 05:32:02 pm »
Lalapico, frozenfish, et al.
I recently became interested in this game and figured this is likely the only place it would get successfully translated. While I have no experience with Japanese, I have a friend who is familiar, and a friend-of-a-friend native speaker. On the other hand I do have a functional Win98 PC with which I can attempt cut scene re-encodes. Needless to say, I'd like to help out where I can. I will work on getting the tools going and testing a re-encode. Until then I'll keep an eye on the board.

tashi

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2018, 09:24:32 pm »
I know Japanese. If it gets to that point, let me know.

7imebomb7immy

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2018, 10:14:06 pm »
Been running through the hoops on video encoding, so I figured I'd post some screen grabs from a few of the videos on the disc, see if we can't keep things moving. There is a fair amount of text in the videos, but much seems to be credits not so much story line.

Can someone take a stab at translating video text shown below? I've done what I could with some OCR tools, but things are obviously missing (as indicated by question marks).

The "book cover", clearly the title, whatever translation is chosen. "The Tale of Seven Winds Island".

??風に?ガれて
?われた物語

or the second line may be
夫われた物語

??て
ぁ?たガつくる
新??物語

The next video sequence is definitely credits, which means a lot of text. Any consensus if we should bother with translating credits? What have other translation projects done?

The next few video sequences contain story text. I have not screenshot-ed them yet, as I wasn't sure if I should continue with the credit sequence.

Look forward to results and opinions.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:11:46 pm by 7imebomb7immy »

dm0x

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2018, 01:59:36 pm »
Im in love with this thread. Good job you too! I hope one day im able to play and understand this gorgeous game!

jobless_floppy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2018, 04:19:13 am »
I took a crack at it. Bear in mind that my Japanese is not stellar, and this should definitely be checked by someone who is more accustom to the language.

Code: [Select]
黒い風に吹かれて
失われた物語…
The tale was lost because of the blowing black winds.

Code: [Select]
そして
あなたがつくる
新しい物語
And so you shall create a new tale.

Good luck with the project, definitely seems like a unique little game.

DeeGee

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2018, 03:32:55 pm »
I'm glad to see there's still some life to a fan translation of this amazing game. I've been obsessed with "Seven-Wind Isle Story" for well over a decade.  I've played it through at least twice, once with the help of a Skyped-in friend watching who had 10 years of Japanese language experience. I've even got the prequel book "Ganapa's Hand" that goes into the backstory of the setting. I'd love to offer my resources on the project. 

7imebomb7immy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2018, 07:57:14 pm »
Thank Joblessfloppy and deegee, we can use all the help we can get.

I have successfully manipulated the original AVI, doubling the resolution and adding subtitles, but need to attempt re-encoding it to the proper format at the proper resolution.

In the meantime, here are some frames that need translation from the next video sequence. It gets text heavy pretty quickly.
The images have been run through OCR and I've done what I can with cargodin's table & jobless_floppy's translation. Again question marks indicate missing characters.

キミは?人

ボクは?人

トモダチになってくれる

ボクも一緒につれてって

ホントにいいの

あソがとう

キミの名前
ステキな名前

Continued...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:27:41 pm by 7imebomb7immy »

7imebomb7immy

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2018, 07:59:42 pm »
Continuation...

ボクには名前が
まだないんだ

ねえ・・・
ボクに名前をつけてくれる

キミが
今も昔も変わらず
好きなモノの名前を or 好きなモ/の名前を or 好さなモ/の名前を or 好さなモノの名前を

もうすぐ前身年が経わる

でも生まれ変ゎっても
白分の名前と
今も昔も変ゎらずに好さなモノの
名前は 忘れないんだって

だから ボクの名前を
生まれ変ゎったキミい教えたら
さっとボクのコト
気にいってくれると思う

そしたら また
トモダチになれるよね

That's it for now.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:59:03 pm by 7imebomb7immy »

7imebomb7immy

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2018, 07:24:23 pm »
Here are some more screens that were easy to figure out. I feel like the next big section is the ending, so I will hide with spoiler tags when I post.

くる

小さくてキレイ

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2018, 07:59:31 pm »
Here's the entire game's text dumped...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FM-z062xDB0srAYDp85pZ8i9qsTXyIVs/view?usp=sharing

Tried using Google to translate the entire document, but it was a little spotty as expected...
I think this will need the eyes of someone who knows Japanese and also understands the game's context.

Hey there! This does look like a dump of much of the game's text(graphics aside), although there was an issue esperknight was looking into where some kanji simply doesn't show up in that file, so it's likely scripted from some other font/file/who knows what. If anyone else is able to pursue it and fix it, I certainly don't mind taking a look at this particular game.

Also, for 7imebomb7immy
監督
雨宮慶太

撮影
木所寛

7imebomb7immy

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2018, 05:48:05 pm »
Next video sequence with text. May spoil.
Spoiler:
まだ前のボクと
同じカラダ・・・

Spoiler:
?人で?んだコトも
おぼえてる

Spoiler:
こんにちは,
すてさな風の日だね

Spoiler:
ああ, そのサナギは
かゎいそうだが
もうダメだ・・・

Spoiler:
かたむいたままだと
死んでしまうからな

Spoiler:
氷の再がふってくるよ
早くにげた方がいい

Spoiler:
う・・・ ゎすれた・・・
名前・・・ ボクの名前

Spoiler:
キミがっけてくれた
ステキな名前

Spoiler:
今も昔も変わらず
好きなモノの名前

December 04, 2018, 07:59:09 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Continued...
Spoiler:
ゎすれた

Spoiler:
ォレ, ニ一フ
いろんな名前を集めてる

Spoiler:
ォマエの名前は?

Spoiler:
えっ, 名前がない

Spoiler:
それは大変

Spoiler:
みんなが, おまえの名前を
わすれたら
"ワスレサラレタモノ"に
なっちまうよ

Spoiler:
前身年が経わる
キミはわすれる

Spoiler:
でも, 今も昔も変ゎらず
キミが好さなモノの名前

Spoiler:
それが, ボクのナマエ

Spoiler:
ワスレタ

Spoiler:
ボク?ダレ

Spoiler:
ダレモ ボクヲ シラナイ

Spoiler:
ダカラ
ワスレサラレタモノ

Spoiler:
ワ・ス・レ・ク

Back to video subtitling and re-encoding...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:59:26 pm by 7imebomb7immy »

Taruby

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2019, 06:13:49 pm »
Hello,

I'm a Japanese→English Translator. I've been doing fan translation work for about a decade and a half, and have experience working with commercial companies and a couple Japanese game developers over the last several years.

I found this thread when I was going through a nostalgia kick looking up the character art by Amemiya Keita; he's been posting inked illustrations on his Twitter recently with characters from this title.

Unless there are concerns with character space per line, I can quickly translate the entirety of this game in my free time; I'm currently finished with a couple clients and my current client occupies 2~3 days out of the week of my time.

If you still don't have an experienced or dedicated translator with an understanding that this is a game geared towards children told in a storybook style, then please let me know. I'll begin work and share the results on pastebin or in a preferred file format with the accompanying Japanese text.

Regards.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 11:51:37 am »
Oh wow it's not often this happens! Welcome to RHDN!

MANDANGA

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2019, 03:31:45 pm »
Hi,

I was working on a Spanish translation from long time ago in my spare time. I have some interesting things done:

- Script dumped in an online translator for easy translation work
- Translated to Spanish 99% of the Story text.
- Main font modified to a more interesting one with Spanish special characters (and English ones too xD)
- Text routine modified to allow 1Byte character to avoid memory limit using 2bytes (the Spanish text grows over the space allowed in memory for text if you use 2bytes)
- Autocalculation of new Text pointers and text file and 0.bin generation
- Truemotion modification codecs (under win95 XD)
- Images exporter and importer

Maybe, I left some other interesting things...

Actually I just started to translate to Spanish the two books in-game.

If you like, I can give access to Taruby to the online translation tool to make and English translation. It can be good for me too, since I had doubts about some text.

I have an translation blog here:

http://nanakaze.com

Some old test images:

Some old test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y2kBVgIpjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-pikudtSmk

P.S.: Sorry for bad English xD
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:29:41 am by MANDANGA »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2019, 11:55:54 pm »
Wow, the Spanish translation's pretty good.

Taruby

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2019, 05:15:41 am »
If you like, I can give access to Taruby to the online translation tool to make and English translation. It can be good for me too, since I had doubts about some text.
Hello Mandanga,

I'm currently finished with my freelance work for this week until I'm sent more this upcoming Thursday (Tokyo Time). So barring some extra work falling on my desk in the interim, I'm available at the moment.

I'm unsure if someone else has already taken what's available and is translating it into English privately, so I'm hesitant to step on their toes. Looking over the thread, I noticed one translator with hacking experience was helping with bits in the last couple years, but is also engaged in multiple other projects.

In any case, congratulations on sticking with this game for so long. While the Saturn has an impressive library of titles, the story for this one has made the most profound impact on me when I originally played it ages ago.

Speaking of which, if you haven't been following the twitter of the main artist for this game, he made this sculpture of Makio a couple years ago:
https://twitter.com/keita_amemiya/status/856039066017464321

MANDANGA

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2019, 01:26:15 pm »
Hello Mandanga,

I'm currently finished with my freelance work for this week until I'm sent more this upcoming Thursday (Tokyo Time). So barring some extra work falling on my desk in the interim, I'm available at the moment.

Hello Taruby,

Don't be worried about time. If you finally works on the English version, just do it on your spare time, whatever it is ^_^

Where in Tokyo do you live? I used to live in Minowa the times I was there... but I'm not traveling to Japan since 10 years ago T_T

Quote from: Taruby
I'm unsure if someone else has already taken what's available and is translating it into English privately, so I'm hesitant to step on their toes. Looking over the thread, I noticed one translator with hacking experience was helping with bits in the last couple years, but is also engaged in multiple other projects.

In any case, congratulations on sticking with this game for so long. While the Saturn has an impressive library of titles, the story for this one has made the most profound impact on me when I originally played it ages ago.

I don't think so... If anyone is translating "Nanatsu Kaze no shima monogatari" (nanakaze from now) to English, it's time to rise hands and say it. So, if nobody reply about it, you are wellcome to work on it, don't you think?

About nanakaze... I was surprised the 1st time I seen the game preview on the old "Sega Saturn Magazine", so I was hyped so much on that time until the game was released on November 1998.

Quote from: Taruby
Speaking of which, if you haven't been following the twitter of the main artist for this game, he made this sculpture of Makio a couple years ago:
https://twitter.com/keita_amemiya/status/856039066017464321

That sculpture of Makio is amazing! I remember seen news about a temporal museum about NanaKaze on the "Saturn Magazine" whit Gaapu sculptures and others.

Talking about the translation, I'm working right now on the "Book system" extractor/insert, detecting some special opcodes. If you remember, the book system shows different text based on the player gameplay, so it's not just extract and translate text.