News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sega Saturn: Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari  (Read 28920 times)

LaLaPico

• View Profile
Sega Saturn: Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari
« on: February 25, 2016, 04:01:19 pm »
Ok, so this game is both different and quite gorgeous... I wanted to try diving into locating the script/text inside the game, to see about translating it.

Any pointers from those with knowledge/experience on what to try? Yes, I'm a total nub, and I know that is sad/disappointing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr-tFmad9gs

Here's a link to someone who was trying to do a dictionary translation of a bit of it... (with screen shots)

http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=14757.0

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread

LaLaPico

• View Profile
Re: Sega Saturn: Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 02:43:54 pm »
I did take a look through that, and I didn't see any Saturn specific instructions, which I was hoping someone might know more on that subject....

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 01:19:32 am »
If you haven't done any hacks before, know that most techniques are common no matter the console. Thus the link.
As for the Sega Saturn, sorry, I don't have any specific knowledge; I think there were other posts about it in this forum with interesting links, though.
EDIT:
Auryn's compiled a few niceties: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13390.msg194951.html
This one seems to touch upon rebuilding a disk image: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,16806.msg247555.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:40:34 am by BlackDog61 »

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 01:36:35 am »
I like the game a fair bit too, so I'm happy to see people take an interest in working on it.
I'm not really an expert on dumping/reinsertion, but I found at least this part of the text relatively easily. It's in 0KRNL.BIN. I simply ripped the disc and it's not in any subfolders so you don't have to worry so much about those to at least wet your hands a little. Only the .BIN files seem to have anything, but that may be because I'm doing something wrong myself, so eh. I hope this helps you in some way.

I also don't know what's going on with the missing Kanji there, but maybe someone more familiar with this stuff can help you.

Wesker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 07:52:13 pm »
There's a project to translate the game into Spanish since many years ago which seems to be near completion, although its progress has always very slow paced.

http://www.nanakaze.com/

Upon this it would probably be easier to translate the game into English, if this Spanish translation is ever finished in the first place of course.

LaLaPico

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 04:19:06 pm »
I like the game a fair bit too, so I'm happy to see people take an interest in working on it.
I'm not really an expert on dumping/reinsertion, but I found at least this part of the text relatively easily. It's in 0KRNL.BIN. I simply ripped the disc and it's not in any subfolders so you don't have to worry so much about those to at least wet your hands a little. Only the .BIN files seem to have anything, but that may be because I'm doing something wrong myself, so eh. I hope this helps you in some way.

I also don't know what's going on with the missing Kanji there, but maybe someone more familiar with this stuff can help you.

Are you using just a SHIFT-JIS table to view the text in WindHex?

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 04:22:32 am »
Are you using just a SHIFT-JIS table to view the text in WindHex?

That I was. I have actually asked a friend about it and he is taking the time to look into it. I know I saw other kanji in there, but with all of the spaces in the BIN's text (not counting the ones in the diary/summary segments of course), it's most likely just a problem for the illustrative narration text.  It's probably being labeled in some unique way.

LaLaPico

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 12:40:39 pm »
That's pretty cool! I'm might try poking around... Did you do anything special with the font to get those to display?

I guess the question is, is there an English alphabet font at all in the game? Or would the font files have to be edited/replaced with english letters?

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 03:59:44 am »
It's a CD game with a file system, so all the text will be in a handful of files. Should make things easy. Look for file references in the ASM when the CD light comes on.
A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

LaLaPico

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 08:54:15 pm »
That I was. I have actually asked a friend about it and he is taking the time to look into it. I know I saw other kanji in there, but with all of the spaces in the BIN's text (not counting the ones in the diary/summary segments of course), it's most likely just a problem for the illustrative narration text.  It's probably being labeled in some unique way.

Do I need to get a certain font file for WindHex to see the Japanese characters? If I load up that file in WindHex, using the Shift-Jis table, I get garbled output...

March 20, 2016, 08:57:20 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ah, never mind! I figured it out :P You have to enable the option "View Text as Unicode"

Umm... Well.. There is an English Font in there....

EDIT: SOME TESTING... 000A Hex Code seems to be a line break or Next Line...

ALSO... It seems you can put as much text as you want, even beyond the original amount, and the game will simply put in a "more text" icon (see it on the lower right?). But, how this would mess with pointers or the game itself...

ACTUALLY, the game goes into a loop doing this. Not right away, but shortly after this text appears --- you hatch out of your egg, find the horn, and when you take out your horn, instead of a gust of wing knocking you off the island, you just stand there like an idiot. Hmmmm....

EDIT AGAIN: Huh, actually, maybe the looping there is a Yabause problem... Cause an untouched bin loops/freezes there too....

EDIT AGAIN: So, all the text uses four bytes? They are all within the 8 2 _ _ range... Kanji, symbols, upper and lower case... So, English uppercase start at 82 60, and lowercase starts at 82 81.... You always need 82 to begin, and then the next byte(s) determine the character. Obviously, needing four bytes makes it more difficult to properly fit in all translated text. Any one have any ideas of the process of switching the game to only use two bytes to store/load text?

Just some more FYI, 000A followed by FFFF seems to indicate the end of a text string.. So, whatever the game is using to point to where the text is found, you tell the game to stop/wait for the player input with those bytes. But, what is the game doing to find the text? This is important, especially if you theoretically have unlimited amount of characters for any text string (as I tested, if you put more than the original amount, the game simply inserts a "more text" indicator)

(and, that is, if you could put unlimited characters into an area and not mess up the next text string. So, knowing what the game is doing to keep the text separated, or how it's keeping the strings separated might be important. Is it simply going by pre-designated areas, or some type of byte code....?)

EDIT: Well, the first thing I wanted to try and tackle was change the menus/inventory... But, I can't seem to locate where that is stored...

The last three of the Kana are bytes 82F0 82B7 82E9, followed by 8148 for the question mark. But, nada --- no where to be found inside the bin.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:13:57 am by LaLaPico »

LaLaPico

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 10:23:36 am »
Argh... I've still had no luck finding the location of the menu/option texts... Could they be compressed or encrypted?

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 05:54:50 am »
Perhaps these labels are graphics, not text. You have to look in the debugger (VDP1/VDP2).

LaLaPico

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 09:51:36 am »
OH! Yes, good thinking! :D

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 04:05:05 pm »
I checked the labels on the pause menu. This is also the text, since there is a separate font for these labels. But the text is clearly in non-standard encoding. Because I even could not find it in the usual form in memory.

LaLaPico

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 10:34:40 pm »
Huh... The game uses some kind of image for the background of the inventory menu, right? Is it possible to edit that image to put labels next to the text/selections?

Also, I tried using Yabause to check the debugger, put all the date doesn't really look like it means anything (to me), so I know this is another noob question, but what are the things to look for in the debugger?

Frozen_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 12:21:52 am »
Not sure if anyone still cares about this, but I was messing around with the game's image formats and came across a font graphic which allowed me to find the text you were looking for.

"text replacement.png"

You can find the strings in 0KRNL.BIN, they use a simple two byte encoding, here's a handy chart:

"ITEM_N_CG_GRID.png"

So 'A' for example would be 0x0011.

For the top menu:
"なにをする?" can be found at 0x79E1A
"色々な道具を選ぶ" can be found at 0x79CC4
"手に持つ物を選ぶ"can be found at 0x79CD4

I would have made a proper tbl file but I know zero Japanese and that's a lot of kanji to decipher through handwriting recognition.

The font graphic is found in ITEM_N.CG. It's a 16x16 tiled 1bpp image with dimensions 256x336 as far as I can tell. I used TiledGGD to view it.

Some other bits and pieces that might be helpful:

TEXTLIST.BIN is laid out as follows:

offset      length      description
------------------------------------------------
0x00         0x04         1-based index
0x04         0x04         Pointer to starting offset of text in TEXTDATA.BIN

Text in TEXTDATA.BIN is FF FF terminated

The intro video can be shortened using something like ffmpeg so you don't need to watch 2.5 min every time you want to test something. It's in MOVE2/00000000.AVI

I also messed around with swapping out the title graphic, it can be found in TITLE.SCG and it's palette can be found in TITLE.COL

"titlereplacement.png"

TITLE.SCG:
8bpp indexed colour, linear
320x224px

TITLE.COL:
- 2 bytes per colour
- BGR colour order
- Little-Endian

Here's the files for my shoddy replacement if you want to try it out yourself:
https://mega.nz/#!NFokxABL!av_gAksHG2TBzk2mQH8QSvJiZj5pURxh9wPuXuAbuJE
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:39:22 pm by Frozen_Fish »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 09:47:44 pm »
Wow, game looks gorgeous. It graphically reminds me of another gorgeous game for the PSX: London Seirei Tantei-dan.

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 06:12:55 am »

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
--------------------------------------
00. 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 黒 木 家 実 青 石
01. A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O
02. P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 空 飛 根 銀 羽
03. ? a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o
04. p q r s t u v w x y z 神 左 手 右 帽
05. ぁ あ ぃ い ぅ う ぇ え ぉ お か が き ぎ く
06. ぐ け げ こ ご さ ざ し じ す ず せ ぜ そ ぞ た
07. だ ち ぢ っ つ づ て で と ど な に ぬ ね の は
08. ば ぱ ひ び ぴ ふ ぶ ぷ へ べ ぺ ほ ぼ ぽ ま み
09. む め も ゃ や ゅ ゆ ょ よ ら り る れ ろ ゎ わ
0A. ゐ ゑ を ん 子 水 玉 猫 毛 布 帆 真 赤 車 輪 虫
0B.     ァ ア ィ イ ゥ ウ ェ エ ォ オ カ ガ キ ギ ク
0C. グ ケ ゲ コ ゴ サ ザ シ ジ ス ズ セ ゼ ソ ゾ タ
0D. ダ チ ヂ ッ ツ ヅ テ デ ト ド ナ ニ ヌ ネ ノ ハ
0E. バ パ ヒ ビ ピ フ ブ プ へ ベ ペ ホ ボ ポ マ ミ
0F. ム メ モ ャ ヤ ュ ユ ョ ヨ ラ リ ル レ ロ ヮ ワ
10. ヰ ヱ ヲ ン ヴ ヵ ヶ 一 笑 人 形 風 葉 粉 胸 満
11. 月 三 日 骨 草 小 目 四 角 片 岩 白 升 天 竜 牙
12. 本 入 道 供 魚 使 物 選 択 ☓ 種 像 板 御 札
13. 前 足 珠 歯 洞 腕 尾 時 色 々 (R)(L)取 機 釣
14. 竿 出 笛 黄 番 呼 頭 幼 音 (X.L)(Y)   (Z.R) 捕

This is a pre-coffee post, so it might need a proofread from someone else in the thread but I hope this helps. <3
It's funny you posted this at this time because I asked a friend about this very thing a couple days ago. I've been itching for a text dump to toy with translating. Since you've looked into the images, did you see if the storybook pages were all images too? I always assumed so, but I want to know from someone who has actually looked inside.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 09:58:31 am »
This is a very interesting idea. I wouldn't mind playing this once it's translated. So far, it kind of still needs work here and there, but I'm sure it'll get done