News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 3939 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: February 24, 2016, 10:52:53 pm »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Relevant Link

HaxorKyo

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 02:37:04 am »
I just wanna say the man responsible for that Silver Surfer hack deserves a standing ovation and possibly a trophy. Removing that stupid fucking animation is the best thing that has ever happened to a game.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 02:40:25 am »
The Darius recolor patch is also impressive. Just compare with the original...

B.B.Link

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 11:16:51 pm »
I just wanna say the man responsible for that Silver Surfer hack deserves a standing ovation and possibly a trophy. Removing that stupid fucking animation is the best thing that has ever happened to a game.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For the Silver Surfer game, I wonder would it be possible to program an HP hack into the game so you don't die in one hit. At least 5 hits before death would be awesome. This patch is a step in the right direction for this horrible game.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 11:26:44 pm »
Yeah I'm glad to see the Silver Surfer hack. That game was unreasonably difficult. The music was totally awesome though. Sad to hear about the weeping being taken out. That was SO funny. Some of those old games had classic game overs like "YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS ARE DEAD - GAME OVER". I think of the image of SS weeping being kind of iconic. I forget which SNES game it was, but it was also really funny having your Commanding Officer tell you "You're a disgrace." LOL Good times.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

fusaru

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 06:38:23 am »
Darius II color fix patch is very good. Dunno why but a lot of the early Mega Drive games, especially those from Japan, had poor color choices.
(MD hacks):
Complete --> see contributions page
Twin Hawk (arcade graphics), Toki

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 07:33:15 pm »
Darius II color fix patch is very good. Dunno why but a lot of the early Mega Drive games, especially those from Japan, had poor color choices.
I like to think it had something to do with one of two things:

1. Developers needed to adjust to the new hardware with their first games.  At least up to the PS2's Emotion engine every round of first games had a couple of problems that were caused by either underestimating the console's capabilities or no one at all knowing how something worked quite right given new capabilities.

2. They were given crappy devkits.  It happens, in short it was the reason why FFVII had the sound differences it did.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 02:43:12 am »
Was there a difference in screens on which they rendered? (Good ol' tube TV, I remember you!)

fusaru

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 03:09:21 am »
Poor screens, especially those that tend to display grayish pictures and have heavy scanlines, would indeed explain why a lot of games ended up with oversaturated colors. Golden Axe, Wardner for example.
Getting used to new hardware could also be a factor, seeing that the first batch of PC-Engine games, a system that was better than Sega's in terms of colors, also looked very poor.
(MD hacks):
Complete --> see contributions page
Twin Hawk (arcade graphics), Toki

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 03:25:55 am »
Poor screens, especially those that tend to display grayish pictures and have heavy scanlines, would indeed explain why a lot of games ended up with oversaturated colors. Golden Axe, Wardner for example.

CRT-TVs weren't that bad (if that's what you were getting at). Or were you talking about arcade screens? Either way, in my opinion Genesis games were notorious for having disgusting palette choices in general.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 12:12:03 pm »
CRT-TVs weren't that bad (if that's what you were getting at). Or were you talking about arcade screens? Either way, in my opinion Genesis games were notorious for having disgusting palette choices in general.

You already said an uncountable number of times that you didn't play Genesis games, so I don't think we should give too much credit to "your opinion"  ;D

Also, using the words "notorious" and "in my opinion" in the same sentence feels weird.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 02:25:43 pm »
You already said an uncountable number of times that you didn't play Genesis games, so I don't think we should give too much credit to "your opinion"  ;D

Somewhat fair.

I didn't own a Genesis but a few of my friends did (do) and I have played Genesis games numberous times.

Also, using the words "notorious" and "in my opinion" in the same sentence feels weird.

Well, in my opinion it was a distinguishing feature of the Genesis. LOL And to my defense, there are about 30 palette hacks on this site for the Genesis and maybe about 6 for the SNES (same generation). I think that speaks for itself. :)