News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) MMC5 Patch Released - Updated to Version 1.1  (Read 1998 times)

RetroRain

• View Profile
I want to say a special thank you to Disch for all of the help he has provided lately.  He just has that expertise, knowledge, and kindness that really helps you out of jam.  Thank you Disch! :)

I finished converting Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) to MMC5.

I wanted to convert this game for quite a while, and before going back to my SMB2 Special Edition hack.

SMB2 USA already uses CHR-ROM, so if you want more PRG and CHR-ROM space, all you have to do is expand the ROM for those two areas.

If you encounter any problems while playing this, please let me know.  It would most likely be in the form of mirroring errors, which was a big part of the CHR problem I was having.  I don't expect there to be any errors, but if there is, please let me know.

Thank you, and here's the patch! :)

Link has been updated as of 02/23/16 with Version 1.1.
Download
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5013
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:24:56 am by Rockman »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) MMC5 Patch Released
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 04:52:30 pm »
I don't wanna sound stupid for askin' this, but can I patch this over my SMB2 hack and still be able to edit the levels? And would adding music be easier to do? :D

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 12:14:40 am »
You can patch it over your hack if you didn't add any ASM code.  And just to be on the safe side, I would make a backup of your hack before patching it.

As for music, I couldn't tell you, since I'm no music expert.  But the MMC5 ROM will allow you to have a lot of PRG, so for instance, you should have no problem adding something like Capcom's Sound Engine.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 12:27:58 am »
But the MMC5 ROM will allow you to have a lot of PRG, so for instance, you should have no problem adding something like Capcom's Sound Engine.

Ehhh....

Constraints on the music engine are more about RAM usage than ROM usage.  It's more than likely that SMB2 uses chunks of RAM that the Capcom engine would need.

The mapper used generally has very little impact on the capabilities of the game unless you are willing to rip apart and rewrite extremely large sections of code.  The only real exception with MMC5 is that if you are using 8x16 sprites, you get 3 pattern tables instead of 2... so you can have twice as many sprite tiles available.

RetroRain

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) MMC5 Patch Released - Updated to Version 1.1
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 01:27:19 am »
Back in October, a member on this forum sent me a message letting me know that there was a problem with the ending of the game.  I told him that I would eventually fix it.  I haven't ROM hacked in a while because I've been so busy.  Today, I finally took a look at it.  It was definitely a mirroring issue.  On top of that, I found another mirroring issue in one of the levels where you have to dig through the sand.

When I have some more time, I'm going to play through the whole game a little more thoroughly just to make sure that I didn't miss anymore mirroring issues.  But I fixed the ones I found.  It really is highly unlikely that there are anymore, but I will play through the game soon just to be sure.

In the meantime, ditch the MMC5 patch you currently have.  Version 1.1 has been released. :)

Here is the download link.

Download
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5013

And I have updated the link in the first post.