News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Problem: Lufia II Hacking - Monster World Map Sprites  (Read 1481 times)

Qisou

• View Profile
Problem: Lufia II Hacking - Monster World Map Sprites
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:18:06 pm »
Hi everybody,
I have a problem while hacking Lufia II.
Well, I'm hacking Lufia II now for the third time, up to this point I just changed some monster attributes, monster sprites, spell effects etc.
But this time I would like to change a little bit more. No problem so far, I managed to get the most informations from Relnqsd tutorials,
but there is one thing I absolutely can't find, and this is the location of the monsters world map sprites.
The sprites when you see a monster crawling through a dungeon. Not the fighting sprite, but the sprite before the fight starts.
I managed to find the sprite itself, but not the points where the information is stored.
For example I want to change the dungeon sprite of the cyclops into the sprite of a dragon.
Does anybody know how to do this?
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:24:16 pm by Qisou »

siryoink

• View Profile
    • Klepto Software
Re: Problem: Lufia II Hacking - Monster World Map Sprites
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:05:27 pm »
There's a large amount of overworld sprites stored immediately after the fight sprites and town sprites, do you mean they're not all in that bank of graphics?  Not familiar enough with the game to say if all the monsters are there, but some of them certainly are.

Qisou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 02:27:56 pm »
Thanks for your answer.
And yes you are right, but I know the bank where the overworld sprites are stored.
The problem is that I can't find the bank about the connection between the monster and the worldmap sprite.
Example:
Monster A (Cyclops) has the overworld sprite A (Cyclops)
Monster B (Dragon) has the overworld sprite B (Dragon)
Monster C (Minotaur) has the oberworld sprite C (Minotaur)

Now I want to change the overworld sprite of monster A (Cyclops) into overworld sprite C (Minotaur)
But I can't find the bank, where these informations are stored about the connection between A and A, B and B, C and C etc.

I could change the whole sprite A into C completely, but they are mostly used from more than one monster.
In case I would do that, every cyclops in the game would look like a minotaur and not only that particular cyclops number A.

siryoink

• View Profile
    • Klepto Software
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 06:14:41 pm »
It's been a while since I've done this, so I'm probably skipping over a few things, and *ahem* some assembly required, but what you need is a debugger and savestate viewer.  vsnes & Geiger's snes9x would work well for this. 

Get a savestate with one of the overworld sprites in it, and open it with vsnes's savestate viewer.  You can mouseover the sprite and get its location in vram.  Next, open Geiger's and set a breakpoint against that address.  When you're on the overworld map, that breakpoint will stop the routine at the moment the sprite is loaded into vram. 

Qisou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 02:38:42 am »
Thank you, I never thought about  that.
I'm gonna give it a shot.