News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: problem with xdelta pokemon rom  (Read 13134 times)

Bluenotes

• View Profile
problem with xdelta pokemon rom
« on: February 07, 2016, 04:25:09 pm »
Hi everyone Im Bluenotes, I'm really happy with how this site looks and feels so far. I'm for sure recommending it to my friends.

Anyway this is my first time on a forum board so please forgive me if I'm not sure how things work around here.
I'm also a noob at roms and computer stuff so I'll try my hardest to make things clear.

So pretty much, I've really been in the mood to play Pokemon Platinum and i found a rom hack from quite a few years ago that uses xdelta files to modify the original rom (so you have access to all the pokemon and overall have a more fun experience).

I use a DeSuMe emulator and it works for the 3541 - Pokemon Platinum Version (US)(XenoPhobia) that I'm free to run on its own.

However, whenever I try to apply the patch is says:

An error has occurred: xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT

and if I disable the checksum validation it says:

An error has occurred: xdelta3: source file too short: XD3_INVALID_INPUT

Being a noob and all, I have no idea what that means. I think it might have something to do with how I'm using a 7z file as the original platinum rom or maybe because I'm using window 10 and this is from a while back?

Either way I was hoping for some helpful advice from someone that might know more

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Re: problem with xdelta pokemon rom
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 05:34:23 pm »
Being a noob and all, I have no idea what that means. I think it might have something to do with how I'm using a 7z file as the original platinum rom or maybe because I'm using window 10 and this is from a while back?

You did unpack the 7z file, right? If you're patching the archive itself, it's no surprise it doesn't work.

vortex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:11:13 pm »
xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
This means your original Rom is false: either wrong size, either version (US, Japan, EU), headered/unheadered etc etc
You need to patch it to the exact same original rom, that the author used to make the xdelta.

and if I disable the checksum validation
DON'T do that - the result WILL be a bugged, non working file. If you disable this, the patch will "turn" the original rom into a hacked one - on wrong addresses!

I think it might have something to do with how I'm using a 7z file as the original platinum rom
LOL, unzip this thing. You can not patch while having original rom in the high compression algorithm.

maybe because I'm using window 10
Doesn't matter which Windows you use - it simply must support the xdelta patcher. If it doesn't, you would know (since the patcher would not open at all).

All in all, you just need to apply the xdelta patch to a clean (unzipped lol) original rom, of correct size, version, header etc and it will work. Usually authors also provide the checksum (sort of ID of the correct original rom to patch to in a form of a long number - aka CRC-32 or SHA, which should be listed in Rom/Iso info and the Header or no header under Patch information).

Bluenotes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 07:55:24 pm »
alright so i took the advice and my DeltaPatcher program said that is was successful, so it looks like im all good.

Thanks a ton for the help guys  :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:03:56 pm by Bluenotes »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 07:36:40 am »
This means your original Rom is false: either wrong size, either version (US, Japan, EU), headered/unheadered etc etc
You need to patch it to the exact same original rom, that the author used to make the xdelta.
DON'T do that - the result WILL be a bugged, non working file. If you disable this, the patch will "turn" the original rom into a hacked one - on wrong addresses!
LOL, unzip this thing. You can not patch while having original rom in the high compression algorithm.

I have seen quite a few pre trimmed DS ROMs out in the wild, especially among those that would distro them as 7z, and trimming should just be that (no rebuilds/offset changes or anything like might have been seen on the PSP). Assuming you do have the same region and version (and with numbered ROMs that is more likely than the header fun and games from earlier systems) then adding stuff back in, or possibly simply disabling checksums for more in place hacks, will work and is definitely worth trying.

Just for the sake of amusement we did also see a handful of patches released for RARs of games early on in the DS lifetime -- people had not settled on xdelta (and arguably still have not) and so it was a way to overcome the size limits of IPS for some things.

Speczz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 12:54:20 am »
I get the first error also. I use a CIA file of Omega Ruby so why am I getting an error?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 10:43:43 am »
I get the first error also. I use a CIA file of Omega Ruby so why am I getting an error?
You're going to have to give a lot more information than that if you want help.

Did the patch you are trying to use come with any documentation?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!