News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Megaman 1 Nes Redux (big Graphical hack)  (Read 14132 times)

Amaweks

• View Profile
    • Game and Art Projects (A/R/Tographic diary)
Re: Megaman 1 Nes Redux (big Graphical hack)
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 05:58:01 am »
Thanks for the help , guys. These were very cool suggestions.

The question is how to add the "shine" of the boots and underwear without losing definition color and without applying pillow shadow (the player understand that the boots, gloves and underwear, are of a darker blue than the torso, arm , etc...)

The boots solution was easy: lots of blue shade (darker blue) as they appear against the background.

The underwear and the gloves had a problem: next to the torso, to much shade left them indistinguishable (tangled with the body), and the shine should give the player the impression it is the same color of the torso (lighter blue).

You both gave me the answer together: clear the area around the arms, and contrasting them more against the backdrop, solves these problems , and leave Megaman slimmer, solving the problem of fat torso caused by the shadow.

new try:
(pixel on left shoulder, shine left boot)

Still open to suggestions
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:37:19 am by Amaweks »

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 07:33:58 am »
I like that last edit you made. Also, how about a spot shine on his helmet?  :D

I made some MM1 weapon colors and some other alternate colors.

MasterGwonam

• Restricted Access
  • Soldier of Squad Allah
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 07:43:56 am »
Thanks for the help , guys. These were very cool suggestions.

The question is how to add the "shine" of the boots and underwear without losing definition color and without applying pillow shadow (the player understand that the boots, gloves and underwear, are of a darker blue than the torso, arm , etc...)

The boots solution was easy: lots of blue shade (darker blue) as they appear against the background.

The underwear and the gloves had a problem: next to the torso, to much shade left them indistinguishable (tangled with the body), and the shine should give the player the impression it is the same color of the torso (lighter blue).

You both gave me the answer together: clear the area around the arms, and contrasting them more against the backdrop, solves these problems , and leave Megaman slimmer, solving the problem of fat torso caused by the shadow.

new try:
(pixel on left shoulder, shine left boot)

Still open to suggestions

Perfect :thumbsup:

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 09:39:51 am »
O projeto parece bem interessante. Mal posso esperar pela versão full. Boa sorte, Amaweks!

The project looks pretty interesting. I can't wait for the full version. Good luck, Amaweks!

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 10:38:38 am »
I really hate to say it, guys. But I don't like the new one AT ALL. :'(
It looks like he's wearing a corset to me...

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 02:47:50 pm »

I like that sprite.
I want it for the Redux hack!

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 12:46:03 am »
I like the last one, but it does make him look a lot less cute/boyish and more like a typical action hero dude.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 01:01:58 am »
In my opinion you should keep Mega Man's original body weight the way it is, because I think his new body weight on the new edit that you made looks kinda weird on him. You should keep all the sprites the way they are and just change the colors because I'm really impressed on the new colors that you added to the game.

You did a great job on it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:10:33 am by SCD »

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 02:01:11 am »

Damn you. Now I can't unsee  >:(

derp

Amaweks

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 06:33:57 am »
I like that last edit you made. Also, how about a spot shine on his helmet?  :D

I made some MM1 weapon colors and some other alternate colors.

Nice color edits, from what i remmember yours is better then the ones in the hack... I will stole then from you  ;)
I'll try the helmet shine (maybe the middle color)

The project looks pretty interesting. I can't wait for the full version. Good luck, Amaweks!

Espero que em breve, falta poucos, mas detalhes importantes...
(Hopefully soon, it is missing a few but important details ...)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Damn you...

You right, its the combination of high underwear+thin body tha makes that effect. You can think its is a super strong guy too (the type with large chest and small waist). In any way it does'nt fit well for the blue bomber...

I like that sprite.
I want it for the Redux hack!

Two days ago I liked it too, but now.. well, its a important detail, so I will spend some more time on it, let's see...

I like the last one, but it does make him look a lot less cute/boyish and more like a typical action hero dude.

Yes.. so new problems: make hin dont look fat, but make shadows and color ramp, raise underwear but without tuning his waist...

In my opinion you should keep Mega Man's original body weight the way it is, because I think his new body weight on the new edit that you made looks kinda weird on him. You should keep all the sprites the way they are and just change the colors because I'm really impressed on the new colors that you added to the game.

You did a great job on it.

Thanks, I'm trying..
All the sprites have been changed, redesigned, changing their style to a new one with heavy shadows (everything to take the contour color in the color gradient and make the graphics more 16-BITish, more colorfull)

But I understand what you saying, to keep the original shape of things.

Damn you. Now I can't unsee  >:(

derp

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I thought the same as you, and almost made ​​an edit to sex change the Little blue guy...

Now let's work...

I've made some edits, and you guys know that in the end the decision is up to me, so I'm inclined to decide the sprite number 2 below:

what do you think?
And, what about the shine n the helmet, middle blue or bright blue?
And the right legs?
 :banghead:

Hope to solve this all this week so we can move on to the blocks (I already have attempted to do, releasing a palette exclusively for them, but let us leave that for later)

Edit:
I can't do other things with this questions on my mind  ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:57:42 am by Amaweks »

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 07:15:02 am »
Lesson learned: do not stray away from the original sprite. That's looks OK to me  :thumbsup:

Yeah, the helmet spot should be the lighter shade.

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 09:57:17 am »
:laugh:
Sorry for spreading the curse... :'(

Let me be clear: I don't think that the new sprite is badly done, not at all! It's much more a question of taste. I like the childlike stature of the original best. My favorite is probably the one pixel edit that MasterGwonam did.
Maybe keep "fat" (which never seemed fat to me) as the standard, since it's the most true to the original and provide the more V-shaped "Marilyn Manson" :happy: as an option?

macbee

• View Profile
    • MCBRemakes
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 08:06:30 pm »
Number 2 is definitely the best!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 08:32:41 pm »
I'm okay with the current sprite, although number 2 does look good too!
One little suggestion...
Did Megaman have a tan session? :P

His face looks too orange, maybe some lighter tones for his face would be nice.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 03:06:51 am »
2 is the best so far I think, though the helmet shine should be more in the front to be consistent with the rest and there was no reason to make the foot smaller.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Amaweks

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 04:21:50 am »
Well, that's enough for the stand sprite. I will definitely stay with the last edit. Thanks for the help and suggestions, guys.  :thumbsup:

Lesson learned: do not stray away from the original sprite. That's looks OK to me  :thumbsup:

Yeah, the helmet spot should be the lighter shade.

I think it's all a matter of choices, between a more conservative or more daring modification. I stay in the middle of the two while maintaining the overall form, but rather by modifying the pixels inside the silhouette.
But, if appropriate , modify the shape, the silhouette, of all the sprites on the game, which is beside the point . The intention for this hack has always been to make the game more colorful as possible.

Thanks for the help, Oxhyde  :beer:

:laugh:
Sorry for spreading the curse... :'(

Let me be clear: I don't think that the new sprite is badly done, not at all! It's much more a question of taste. I like the childlike stature of the original best. My favorite is probably the one pixel edit that MasterGwonam did.
Maybe keep "fat" (which never seemed fat to me) as the standard, since it's the most true to the original and provide the more V-shaped "Marilyn Manson" :happy: as an option?

Some curses come on time, and your way of spreading it was with a funny and accurate image.
Yes, I understooded, not that you were trowing the sprite that you criticized in the trash, it was just your way of showing a direction to which that sprite design pointed. Accurate  ;)

Number 2 is definitely the best!

I definitely agree  :thumbsup:

I'm okay with the current sprite, although number 2 does look good too!
One little suggestion...
Did Megaman have a tan session? :P

His face looks too orange, maybe some lighter tones for his face would be nice.

Well...
This is a problem that I stopped trying to solve in the beggining. The NES has few colors, and the problem of the original color in this new sprite style is that the skin has a clor very close to the white eyes, and far from the red or purple mouth and shadows, giving it a bad color ramp.

So I made that choice: put a much more vibrant color (a "2*" instead of "1*" which is not the ideal) and give the feeling that the character is more colorful, similar to that some Master System games.

2 is the best so far I think, though the helmet shine should be more in the front to be consistent with the rest and there was no reason to make the foot smaller.

Yes, the no reason to make the foot smaler, I agree, fixed.
i have wondered before about the direction of the helmet spot light.

The light source comes from the sprite northeast. And the shadow of the helmet is facing northwest.
The question here is if I can give me the freedom to be unrealistic about the light source , and I believe that yes, I can have that freedom.
In the case of such a small sprite, and that is mirrored in real time during gameplay , I do not see much problem with some inconsistencies in the light source , since in general all work as a whole.

Moreover, in design terms, we can add more than one light source (reflections coming from the ground or from bright objects in other directions). So, no big deal with it , I gess.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Next time I'll came here will be to show some changes, specialy with the blocks in CutsMan stage.

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 05:30:13 am »
I like the original way where it shows the boss level your about to enter. I don't mind the boss selection screen but the screen where it shows the boss and the total points for beating him is too much. I rather it be the original way since all the other games are the same. Also, can you possibly remove the score. There is no need for it.

Amaweks

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 06:38:27 am »
I like the original way where it shows the boss level your about to enter. I don't mind the boss selection screen but the screen where it shows the boss and the total points for beating him is too much. I rather it be the original way since all the other games are the same. Also, can you possibly remove the score. There is no need for it.

If it were possible I would change the selection screen for picture frames, which unfortunately is beyond my skills.
I prefer to leave the score and other details like the original, my interest is hacking the game graphics, making it look as colorful as possible.

I think I'll keep the dithered blocks for now... I have made some experiences with Cut's Man stage:
Now the Celling window BG shares de same palette with the light pink BG...

What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:00:27 pm by Amaweks »

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 05:53:35 pm »
Would it be possible to somehow enhance the contrast between Megaman's face and the whites of his eyes? It has always been hard for me to tell where the whites of Megaman's eyes start, and where his face ends.

Change the skin tone ever so slightly, or whatever. But bring out the whites of his eyes somehow.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Amaweks

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 06:04:50 pm »
Would it be possible to somehow enhance the contrast between Megaman's face and the whites of his eyes? It has always been hard for me to tell where the whites of Megaman's eyes start, and where his face ends.

Change the skin tone ever so slightly, or whatever. But bring out the whites of his eyes somehow.

This is the most contrast I can get (the original color is almost white, the color in the hack is a light orange. More contrast than this and megaman face will be to much darker.

Anyway, my vacations are close to the end, so I spend the day doing some ajustments on megamans sprites (again):

- Ice man face transparent pixels: fixed