News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: BS Super Aleste English Patch Released!  (Read 6326 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: BS Super Aleste English Patch Released!
« on: February 02, 2016, 03:45:14 pm »

Update By: tettsui77

After being announced a few weeks ago, the translation patch for 'BS Super Aleste' is now out!

Though this is v1.0 of the patch, it has achieved most of the original goals for the project.  Namely, all Japanese text in-game has been fully translated; all "Engrish" has been cleaned up; AND the patched ROM will now function as a standalone SNES ROM, without need of the BS-X BIOS or a compatible emulator!

There are still many other things that will hopefully be implemented in future patches, so stay tuned!  In the meantime, the translator truly hopes this will be seen as the definitive version of 'Super Aleste'/'Space MegaForce'!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: BS Super Aleste English Patch Released!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 05:34:05 pm »
Cool. I remember this being a kick-ass shooter. It'll be fun to try and spot the differences.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Dellamorte

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 05:46:19 pm »
I didn't knew there was a Satellaview Super Aleste.
Thank you for translating it  :beer:

HaxorKyo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:12:29 pm »
It's good shit guys. This is coming from a guy whos not into shooters at all.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 11:51:34 am »
What does the BS version have that isn't in the original release?

tettsui77

• hyakuren no tetsu
    • View Profile
    • tettsui seventy-seven [tumblr]
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 12:35:26 pm »
What does the BS version have that isn't in the original release?
a few tweaks, mostly.

the main thing is, the previous English localizations were crappy.  I went with the BS version since it was the "final" iteration, and also because I wasn't aware of anyone doing a hack to sever a Satellaview ROM from the BS-X flashcart BIOS / SRAM / etc.
鉄槌77~百錬

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 04:12:32 am »
a few tweaks, mostly.
Care to elaborate? ^^;

tettsui77

• hyakuren no tetsu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 12:12:32 pm »
Care to elaborate? ^^;
they're like less than 20 bytes different -- I really don't know offhand what this entails beyond the Satellaview functionality, which is mostly determined by the internal cartridge header.  wish I could go more in depth.  [EDIT:  this is specifically referring to the JAPANESE release of the non-BS version.  see below for more on the European and American releases of the original game and the differences.]

the bottom line is, I felt the game deserved a re-translation that didn't attempt to "de-nihonify" it -- and I went with the BS version since it came out 4 years later, had a few (admittedly largely undetermined) differences... and because I wanted to see if I could get it to function as an independent SNES ROM, aside from the translation.

February 04, 2016, 01:20:00 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
also, let me state for the record here -- I really don't know much of anything about asm, lol.  I was learning most of this stuff as I was going, since I'd never worked with SNES before either.  this whole thing was done on a pretty ad hoc basis.

beyond that... there's prolly some Japanese site somewhere detailing whatever minor differences there are.

-------

now... the differences between this version and the American and European releases are MANY.  thinking about it just now I realized it could be possible this is what you were asking about.  These things all apply to the non-BS Japanese release as well.  I'm not AS familiar with the European version as the American one, but I'll try and make sure this is accurate!

- BOTH English localizations have a new "intro" screen for whatever reason, before the main in-game intro, with a "Presented by Toho" speech sample.  The American release also says "SPACE MEGAFORCE!!" lol.  This intro screen is not present in the Japanese releases.

- BOTH cut out the image of the female pilot from the intro image fade sequence.  Also, which I didn't realize 'til going to write this up... they BOTH cut out the face shot image of the MALE pilot, too!?  As though Western audiences would see an Asian face or even slightly anime-ish art and be like "fuck this game"... lol!

- BOTH remove the chibi/SD-style character portraits from the options menu and sub-menus.  This was a necessity due to removing the female pilot inexplicably, if nothing else.  again.. just WAT.

- BOTH replace all of the in-game vocal samples relating to the different weapons and powerups... that were already in English, albeit accented [there may be one that isn't, I'm not sure WHAT he's sayin haha]... with new ones in a jarring and obnoxious American accent.  mainly, they're much louder and don't blend into the soundscape of the game nearly as well in my opinion.

- BOTH inexplicably cut song #02.  I'm not sure how the order of the music is effected, but I believe it's different.  (There was actually a patch from 2011 on this site that corrected the music -- can be found at: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/744/ ... FYI!)

- BOTH have 6 fewer voice samples, tho this is partially due to the fact that the Japanese version has two versions of several of them, some of which seem to go unused.

- BOTH change the bosses' introductory speeches (again, all English I believe) into similar but less accented ones.  There was actually a bit of censorship tho, as the first boss says "Welcome to Hell!" in the Japanese version, but "Welcome to the Underworld!" in the English localizations.

- BOTH get rid of additional chibi/SD-style art of the main characters at Game Over, on the continue screen.  Instead, there is some rather generic art of a fighter plane.

- Beyond that... I can't be 100% certain on exact figures here, but it would seem that both versions are a bit easier (on ALL of the difficulties, respectively) than the Japanese versions.  I could be wrong, but it seems the American version is a bit easier than the Euro one.

- And additionally, beyond THAT... I don't know exactly what accounts for this, but there are about 40kb more differences between the Euro release and the Jap one, than between the US release and the Jap one.

Annddd.. as I've said before, the translation is kinda shoddy and weird.

-------

So, I hope this post is pretty thorough now!  I really can't say what, exactly, the differences are between the BS versionn and the original Japanese release.  It strangely doesn't even have a different copyright year, tho there are SOME differences.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:57:31 pm by tettsui77 »
鉄槌77~百錬

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 03:24:58 pm »
I really can't say what, exactly, the differences are between the BS versionn and the original Japanese release.
Roger that. From the readme provided with the patch, I believe too that a hack for Audio to default to Stereo would be a good idea.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 06:04:30 pm »
- BOTH inexplicably cut song #02.  I'm not sure how the order of the music is effected, but I believe it's different.  (There was actually a patch from 2011 on this site that corrected the music -- can be found at: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/744/ ... FYI!)

It occurred to me some time after making that patch that the removed song is like 80% lifted from "Fine Time" by New Order. Presumably someone noticed and had it removed to avoid copyright infringement.

As for the BS version differences, the cartridge header is literally the only thing that was changed from the retail version:

Code: [Select]
1:10:52.01 D:\games\roms\snesroms
>fc/b "Super Aleste (Japan).sfc" "Super Aleste (Japan) (BS).sfc"
Comparing files Super Aleste (Japan).sfc and SUPER ALESTE (JAPAN) (BS).SFC
00007FD0: 20 FF
00007FD1: 20 00
00007FD2: 20 00
00007FD3: 20 00
00007FD4: 20 00
00007FD5: 20 9C
00007FD6: 00 A0
00007FD7: 0A 30
00007FD8: 00 20
00007FD9: 00 10
00007FDA: AD 33
00007FDB: 00 01
00007FDC: 09 13
00007FDD: F7 08
00007FDE: F6 EC

So the patch can (presumably) also be safely applied to the original Japanese version as well.

Anyway, nice work! It's good to see what is probably my favorite SNES/SFC shmup get some more love.

Splatter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 08:01:55 pm »
I got a laugh when I visited the translator's page and saw the project right below this one...

tettsui77

• hyakuren no tetsu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 11:09:01 pm »
keepin it '97 style.

and I like shoot em ups haha.
鉄槌77~百錬

SuperrSonic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 09:36:36 pm »
I tried this on Wii via the Virtual Console emu, it works but I haven't gotten very far into the game yet.

helaku

• What is a night without a curse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 08:13:30 am »
Don't know if someone knows but if you press L1+R1+START+SELECT will reset the game :)

By the way tettsui77, what are the differences between the retail Japanese version Super Aleste and the BS version?
More content have been added to the BS version than the retail Japanese version or are exactly the same?

Thanks!
Have at you!

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 08:23:02 am »
Don't know if someone knows but if you press L1+R1+START+SELECT will reset the game :)
Yeah that's common to many SFC/SNES games.

By the way tettsui77, what are the differences between the retail Japanese version Super Aleste and the BS version?
There are no differences whatsoever, see Revenant's reply 4 posts above.

helaku

• What is a night without a curse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 08:28:07 am »
Thank you Alcahest for reply.
Interesting that both are the same only the header is different ;D
Have at you!

tettsui77

• hyakuren no tetsu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 01:32:20 pm »
It occurred to me some time after making that patch that the removed song is like 80% lifted from "Fine Time" by New Order. Presumably someone noticed and had it removed to avoid copyright infringement.

As for the BS version differences, the cartridge header is literally the only thing that was changed from the retail version:

Code: [Select]
1:10:52.01 D:\games\roms\snesroms
>fc/b "Super Aleste (Japan).sfc" "Super Aleste (Japan) (BS).sfc"
Comparing files Super Aleste (Japan).sfc and SUPER ALESTE (JAPAN) (BS).SFC
00007FD0: 20 FF
00007FD1: 20 00
00007FD2: 20 00
00007FD3: 20 00
00007FD4: 20 00
00007FD5: 20 9C
00007FD6: 00 A0
00007FD7: 0A 30
00007FD8: 00 20
00007FD9: 00 10
00007FDA: AD 33
00007FDB: 00 01
00007FDC: 09 13
00007FDD: F7 08
00007FDE: F6 EC

So the patch can (presumably) also be safely applied to the original Japanese version as well.

Anyway, nice work! It's good to see what is probably my favorite SNES/SFC shmup get some more love.
I meant to reply to this a couple days ago, just realized I never did.

Thanks for the info man -- and cheers on YOUR patch from a few years back, that was prolly much harder to do, really, than mine!  :)

Going into the translation, being more familiar with the American release in particular, I had no idea it was only the header that was different!
鉄槌77~百錬