News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War Re-translation (Project Naga)  (Read 86099 times)

Kallisto

• View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War Re-translation (Project Naga)
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2016, 01:21:02 am »
Oh man, it is so close I can smell it.

Shiryu

• No Surrender, No Retreat.
    • View Profile
    • Shiryu Music
« Reply #181 on: August 27, 2016, 09:32:35 am »
The game was just re-released in Japan for the New 3DS Virtual Console. :woot!: Trailer here.

Gamerhenky

• So Baaaaad! D:
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #182 on: August 27, 2016, 09:41:29 am »
The game was just re-released in Japan for the New 3DS Virtual Console. :woot!: Trailer here.

God. It doesn't work anyway with translation patch (Still 8MB after patching). :(
Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Repth99

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2016, 10:49:45 pm »
Hi folks, although games over 4mb crash upon injection into the official releases, the retroarch "snes9x 2005" core seems to run this awesome translation perfectly.

I only tested it on the Playstation Vita, but the 3ds nightly releases should be able to run it perfectly as well.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:11:21 pm by Repth99 »

Gamerhenky

• So Baaaaad! D:
    • View Profile
    • My Website

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2016, 08:01:49 pm »
Gameplay video has been poped-out already.
Oh! Thanks for posting that video because I've noticed one funny typo in an opening credits roll. 'Cheaf Conductor' SHOULD be 'Chief Conductor'.
Astonishingly I've found some more... I think the name 'Gumpei Yokoi' is mispelt. It should be 'Gunpei Yokoi' with an n.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 08:08:02 pm by ObiKKa »

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 07, 2016, 02:25:53 pm »
Wait, I'm confused..is this patch already out?

Gamerhenky

• So Baaaaad! D:
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #187 on: September 07, 2016, 02:37:30 pm »
Wait, I'm confused..is this patch already out?

This is Open Beta, it still Beta 7.

Fionordequester

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2016, 12:25:41 am »
I just realized that this was yet another forum in which Bookofholsety was posting, so I decided to post my revisions from Serenes Forest here.  The script bookofholsety has now IS very good, but I feel that it suffers from one glaring problem; pacing issues.  I have some nitpicks about the rest of it (such as him using the phrase "I/we will do all we can" more often than he should for なんでもやります) and some passive voice issues; but the main point I want to get across is that the script could do with a reduced word count.  FE4 is already a fairly wordy game on it's own, so I think it's to it's benefit to have a script that flows more smoothly. 

Now then, here's the very first script revision I did...

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=144855

Along with some examples of what I'm talking about...

Quote from: bookofholsety
At the heart of the continent of Jugdral lies Grannvale, a kingdom founded by Saint Heim of the Twelve Crusaders.

Passive voice problem here. I'm not saying that EVERYTHING has to be Active voice, but you do want to grab the reader's attention while they're still new to this. That's why a lot of popular music starts off with a really strong stinger in the first five seconds before proceeding on with the rest of the melody.

Grannvale's Chancellor, Lord Reptor of House Freege, has long objected to the threat to his influence posed by Kurth and his advisors, and has allied himself with the avaricious Lord Langbalt of House Dozel to form a faction opposed to Kurth’s rule over Grannvale.

Duuuude...that sentence is like, two lines long. Could you possibly find a way to split that? I personally wrote it as "Chancellor Reptor, ruler of House Freege, had long bucked at the Prince's authority. He felt that his authority had been compromised; he sought to challenge Kurth's reign through an alliance with the avaricious Lord Langbolt, ruler of House Dozel."

Darna, a town in the Yied Desert with deep ties to Grannvale, is now besieged by savage warriors from Isaach. Reports of a brutal massacre abound.  The news is met by the people of Grannvale with furious cries for retribution, and before long the kingdom declares war on Isaach. Prince Kurth leads Grannvale's charge on his father’s behalf, commanding the military might of the kingdom’s six houses.

Present tense is kind of awkward to use when there's clearly a good deal of time passing between what's being described at the beginning of the text scrawl and what happens at the end.

For example: "Darna gets attacked, then Grandbell retaliates, then Verdane invades, then Sigurd bellows a war cry before riding off on his noble steed" shows very clear chronological progression; I don't see how one can use present tense throughout that WHOLE thing, can you?

Also...this is one passage where I took some creative liberties; if you want, you could check out the new version I wrote in the post above to see what I did. I dunno if it violates your standards of fidelity to the script, but I think it helps this opening come alive a bit.

At Kurth’s side as always is none other than Lord Byron, a highly decorated hero of peerless valor in his own right.

Overall awkward sentence. Passive voice, lack of commas in the first part of the sentence, and the phrase "in his own right" is redundant. I think the player will be more than willing to accept that Lord Bryon is, indeed, a pretty cool guy; why do we need to add a qualifier to that? Why can't we just end the sentence with, "he's a hero of peerless valour"?

[And then here's part 2 of my commentary, with another script revision, and some more highlights from said revision...]

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=144869

No, milady. We might not stand a chance, but every last one of us will give our lives to protect you, right to the very end.
Quote from: FionordeQuester
Midir: No, milady. We live to guard you in ALL your paths; if one leads to death, then so be it.

Noish: Perish the thought, milord! I was born a knight, and I will gladly risk dying a knight's death in your name. To allow our lord to die alone in battle would be an unspeakable disgrace. We shall be by your side, every step of the way. Alec, I trust that you're of the same mind?
Noish: Milord; I am a knight! I will gladly fight and die in your name! Allowing our lord to perish alone would be an unspeakable sin. We shall be by your side, every step of the way! Alec, are we agreed?

Alec: Yeah, of course! But there's more than just Jungby at stake. We've got to stop by the nearby villages first. Those thugs'll try to beat us to them, and they'll loot, massacre and burn them all down if they do. We've gotta get there first, and lend the locals a hand in locking the villages down and fortifying their defenses.
Alec: YEAH we are! But hey, the villages need help too. Those thugs'll loot, massacre, and burn everything alive if they beat us to 'em! We've gotta help fortify their defenses!

Noish: Milord, what of the defence of Chalphy itself in our absence? Leaving the castle unattended is risky. Should the enemy slip past us, an unguarded castle will fall easily and spell us a swift end.
Noish: Milord, what of Chalphy itself? Should the enemy take it in our absence, our deaths will be all but assured.

Gandolf: Kehehe...You! Not bad for being all on your lonesome, but I've had enough of your struggling!
Gandolf: Kehehe...Hey! Ya did good for bein' on your own; now drop dead!

Gamerhenky

• So Baaaaad! D:
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2016, 12:05:34 am »
Smell something. But rumor thing is the final patch, let's wait then.

Make sure this Project Naga moving to Thracia 776 after Genealogy finished.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:26:48 am by Gamerhenky »

guidodi

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 29, 2016, 12:21:44 am »
Any updates? It's been almost 5 month since the last beta... Thanks.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 29, 2016, 01:09:53 am »
Any updates? It's been almost 5 month since the last beta... Thanks.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have a few pending bug fixes and was hoping to include the final draft of the script, but haven't received any new text yet.

guidodi

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 30, 2016, 04:50:56 pm »
Already waited so many years to play this with a good translation, a few more month it's nothing. Thanks for the quick reply and really looking foward to your next project, since I read you are going to be doing FE 5.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2016, 04:34:04 pm »
I'm planning on playing this game now. As you have seen from my Fire Emblem Ending Project, I will capture every single ending variation, which is great because DDS is looking for tests in that area.

So, does anyone have a list of what combinations still need to be checked? Or does anyone have save states at the end with different pairings so I can check it out and do the ones that are missing?

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2016, 04:08:16 am »
How many ending variations have been discovered?

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2016, 02:48:03 pm »
Who knows, as far as I know there is no list detailing all of them.

MariusThePaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2016, 11:14:49 pm »
This fire emblem in particular is super hard, has no permanently working cheat, but it is said to have the best story offered in the franchise so far. Therefore, I really appreciate your work here. Thank you! And I'm looking forward to the finished translation. :beer:

MegaZeroX

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2017, 03:27:07 am »
Will this patch be updated with the new official FE4 names? From https://events.fire-emblem-heroes.com/vote

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 22, 2017, 08:51:24 am »
Will this patch be updated with the new official FE4 names? From https://events.fire-emblem-heroes.com/vote
According to the SF thread not all might be used.  For example, Bolt Sword was used instead of Levin Sword.

Some of these new names for heroes are all over the place anyway, so I'm okay with that.

joesteve1914

• View Profile
    • Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love translation project
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2017, 01:16:30 pm »
Are you guys still planning on doing FE5, considering this is happening? -
https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/67267-fire-emblem-thracia-776-menu-and-script-project/