News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War Re-translation (Project Naga)  (Read 131079 times)

ddstranslation

• View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War Re-translation (Project Naga)
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2016, 12:19:15 pm »
Will there be a release once the translation is finished, or will it all come together with the translation + bug fixes? I'd honestly love the former.

I can separate the fixes into their own patch file. I certainly won't hold up the translation just for fixing these other things though, don't worry. :)

The last bit of text remaining should be in-game within a week. I just have the last random bits of the ending map scene and the post-clear demo scenes to do (and I think some line where something can be stolen from a unit) and then that should be it.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2016, 04:45:01 pm »
You are really AMAZING!!!  I hope with all my soul this next great effort, and also in a future FE5  :thumbsup:

Thegreathare21

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2016, 11:23:29 am »
So when DDs is done inserting everything/fixing glitches will this be available for a beta or a patch out? didn't know if we would have to still wait until script is fully 100% or would we get the full game when its one? Not being hasty or anything, I've waited years to play this in English, waiting a few more months wont kill me(I hope) lol!
Also just curious, was the syliva glitch, authority glitch etc in the untranslated game itself or was the glitches only in the earlier patched versions?
Again thanks for your guys hard work and can't wait to see the finished product!!

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2016, 10:58:11 pm »
So when DDs is done inserting everything/fixing glitches will this be available for a beta or a patch out? didn't know if we would have to still wait until script is fully 100% or would we get the full game when its one? Not being hasty or anything, I've waited years to play this in English, waiting a few more months wont kill me(I hope) lol!
Also just curious, was the syliva glitch, authority glitch etc in the untranslated game itself or was the glitches only in the earlier patched versions?
Again thanks for your guys hard work and can't wait to see the finished product!!

Once the game's script has gotten a final draft, we'll do an open beta test. :)

And the glitches were in the original game. I haven't used any of the other patches for anything other than their notes on where the text was located.

Hopefully it'll be ready soon. I just finished inserting the ending text and tested it out with my save, and everything looks good. I've sent my latest patch and text editor to the group, so to that one guy who said don't die, at least the work exists elsewhere other than my PC now. :)

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2016, 03:39:12 am »
Whoa!  :D you're quite so fast with this translation. I don't want open beta, but i must patience with final release. Keep it up :thumbsup:
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Black Mage

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2016, 09:11:25 am »

Some people that I've show this screenshot pointed out that the name is misaligned with the default "Lv X" displayed due to the new font. With the old Font this didn't happen.

I don't know if it's my place to point it out or if it's even fixable, but it's something that's been bothering me too and since I just saw that Patty video I wanted to ask about it before I forget again.

Thegreathare21

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2016, 02:00:15 pm »
Once the game's script has gotten a final draft, we'll do an open beta test. :)

And the glitches were in the original game. I haven't used any of the other patches for anything other than their notes on where the text was located.

Hopefully it'll be ready soon. I just finished inserting the ending text and tested it out with my save, and everything looks good. I've sent my latest patch and text editor to the group, so to that one guy who said don't die, at least the work exists elsewhere other than my PC now. :)
OK that sounds good. I know another draft of the script needs to be done so do we still have a while until this is public(june julyish?)Sorry for so many questions I'm just so excited this is finally being translated properly!
PS just watched your video on the ending on youtube, GOOSEBUMPS!!!

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2016, 07:54:51 pm »
Some people that I've show this screenshot pointed out that the name is misaligned with the default "Lv X" displayed due to the new font. With the old Font this didn't happen.

I don't know if it's my place to point it out or if it's even fixable, but it's something that's been bothering me too and since I just saw that Patty video I wanted to ask about it before I forget again.

Don't feel bad about pointing it out, that's one of the reasons this thread is here. :)

Yeah, it was bothering me as well, it was just that it was at the bottom of my priority list. But since the text replacement is basically done, and I've also just received some new graphics to use to replace the stat names, I'll fix the alignment of the "LV" and numbers when I put those in.

(Edit: Here's an updated version you can show. :) )

OK that sounds good. I know another draft of the script needs to be done so do we still have a while until this is public(june julyish?)Sorry for so many questions I'm just so excited this is finally being translated properly!
PS just watched your video on the ending on youtube, GOOSEBUMPS!!!

I have no idea. Bookofholsety would be the one to answer that. As I understand it, they're still having to juggle college work with this, so they might be a bit busy at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:28:09 am by ddstranslation »

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2016, 05:19:20 am »
Spoiler:
Don't feel bad about pointing it out, that's one of the reasons this thread is here. :)

Yeah, it was bothering me as well, it was just that it was at the bottom of my priority list. But since the text replacement is basically done, and I've also just received some new graphics to use to replace the stat names, I'll fix the alignment of the "LV" and numbers when I put those in.

(Edit: Here's an updated version you can show. :) )

I have no idea. Bookofholsety would be the one to answer that. As I understand it, they're still having to juggle college work with this, so they might be a bit busy at the moment.
While those text in your latest image are now levelled properly I still don't like how it all are biased too much towards the top edge of that dialog box. I'd have preferred for them to be centered a bit more towards the middle space. What if you can expand that box bar to be wider further down? Or is this purely impossible, thus requiring a bit of graphical rejigging to achieve?

shadow501

• Pro Hex Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2016, 06:28:00 am »
Aswome !  :thumbsup:

When will you release ?

vonmalvarius

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2016, 09:46:40 am »
While those text in your latest image are now levelled properly I still don't like how it all are biased too much towards the top edge of that dialog box. I'd have preferred for them to be centered a bit more towards the middle space. What if you can expand that box bar to be wider further down? Or is this purely impossible, thus requiring a bit of graphical rejigging to achieve?

I'm in the same mind. It's a little jarring that it's not centered.

Also, some people are posting screenshots of a video of the end game? Is there a link anywhere or did I miss anything?

Special-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2016, 10:37:50 am »
Looks great so far! :)

One idea: You could consider to implement uniform "text rules" for the entire game text.

Examples:
- text is generally written until end of line
- line break after .!?
- names of people, towns, ... (with more than one word) written preferably in the same line
- no unnecessary hyphenation (or will be used only if designated text would fit in one text box)

Screenshot from one of the videos:

I have done this for our German SD3 translation. It's a lot of work, but I enjoy standardization.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2016, 01:04:31 pm »
Spoiler:

It's a little complicated. The text for the name and level share the same background layer as the stat meters, so it can't just be simply shifted down.

An alternative would be to redraw the names and level to be a 24x8 instead of 16x8 font, but it would only exist for this one screen.

Aswome !  :thumbsup:

When will you release ?

Bookofholsety still needs to finish the final draft, though he's busy with college work at the moment. So I'm not really sure.

I'm in the same mind. It's a little jarring that it's not centered.

Also, some people are posting screenshots of a video of the end game? Is there a link anywhere or did I miss anything?

I had posted a video of the ending on my Twitter/YouTube page, and Bookofholsety also posted some screenshots on his Dreamwidth page.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWc_wx_hxH0

One idea: You could consider to implement uniform "text rules" for the entire game text.

Examples:
- line break after .!?
- names of people, towns, ... (with more than one word) written preferably in the same line
- no unnecessary hyphenation (or will be used only if designated text would fit in one text box)

I have done this for our German SD3 translation. It's a lot of work, but I enjoy standardization.

Yeah, we'll need to shake out some formatting standards for it. At first, I was following the same method I had used when working with F.H where I tried to separate lines by punctuation->names->phrases. Sometimes it wouldn't fit on one window and I tried to just push everything in as close as I could. Plus the editor was a bit off on pixel count on how much text could still fit on a line, so I'd just put in a line break early.

We can definitely add extra breaks for long sentences. I was just trying to follow the original Japanese text where if they only used one window to get something across, I'd try to do the same.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:13:08 pm by ddstranslation »

bookofholsety

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2016, 06:17:14 pm »

Examples:
- line break after .!?

i mostly agree, and line breaks are one of those things i'll be looking out for when i'm editing, since my current plan is to play through the entire game and take notes on the script and its presentation. not sure i agree on the hyphenation because hey, i like my hyphens :P

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2016, 09:12:14 pm »
Oh thank god!!! This game needed a re-translation incredibly bad. The one I played was terrible in so many spots  (but I understand the old teams tried their best).

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2016, 11:29:00 am »
I wonder if you've translated the piece of dialogue that occurs in chapter 2. If one of your units is adjacent to a Mackily soldier in the mountains, a minor conversation occurs. It wasn't translated in the old translation and I didn't see it in Bookofholsety's script on Dreamwidth. It's detailed (with video) in the following post: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=40837

Other than that, I can't wait to play this. And I hope Thracia will follow relatively soon after because frankly, that game needs a proper translation patch even more than this game. But I'm still happy to see an almost released full translation patch for my favourite game in the series.
Fire Emblem translation romhacking topic:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,10647.0.html

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2016, 05:30:53 pm »
I wonder if you've translated the piece of dialogue that occurs in chapter 2. If one of your units is adjacent to a Mackily soldier in the mountains, a minor conversation occurs. It wasn't translated in the old translation and I didn't see it in Bookofholsety's script on Dreamwidth. It's detailed (with video) in the following post: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=40837

Other than that, I can't wait to play this. And I hope Thracia will follow relatively soon after because frankly, that game needs a proper translation patch even more than this game. But I'm still happy to see an almost released full translation patch for my favourite game in the series.

That one doesn't sound familiar, so I'll check it out and make sure it gets in. Thanks!

(Edit: I think this is the one you're talking about. Yeah, it wasn't translated yet, but it's in now :) )

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:23:53 pm by ddstranslation »

hanhnn

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2016, 08:17:32 pm »
I guess you missed all the unused, cut off text also.

For example:
Sigurd - Cuan talk about Ethlin in Prologue, they are brothers in law after all yet they never say a thing about her.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2016, 09:14:06 pm »
I guess you missed all the unused, cut off text also.

For example:
Sigurd - Cuan talk about Ethlin in Prologue, they are brothers in law after all yet they never say a thing about her.

Yeah, at first I was just playing through the game and letting the debugger find the pointers to text. Then I was reminded to look at the other available resources and found that J2E had located like 99% of the rest of the game's dialogue.

But then just finding out about this overlooked dialogue makes me think I need to go back over the rom and do things the old fashioned way, and find all the text pointers myself. That way I'll know 100% that all the text has been found.

Though if it is dummied out, I dunno if it'll be testable. :)

Quirino

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2016, 10:46:05 am »
That one doesn't sound familiar, so I'll check it out and make sure it gets in. Thanks!

(Edit: I think this is the one you're talking about. Yeah, it wasn't translated yet, but it's in now :) )

Awesome :) I found it a pity that a rather amusing dialogue was not in the old patch yet haha. Hopefully I didn't cause you too much of a headache with my mention of overlooked dialogue.
Fire Emblem translation romhacking topic:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,10647.0.html