News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War Re-translation (Project Naga)  (Read 131081 times)

ddstranslation

• View Profile

I think I found another glitch using the latest version of the patch (Beta 4). At the beginning of chapter 4, when Quan and Ethlyn leave your party, Ethlyn's portrait and textbox do not appear onscreen but her dialogue does.

Thanks for that. This report prompted me to run a scan on the dialogue blocks to see if any were missing tags that were in the Japanese version, and found a couple others as well. It turns out that the Prologue's village chats and DiMaggio's boss battle dialogue were also missing the tag to display text on the bottom of the screen, and I think some death dialogues got their portraits mixed up.

It'll be fixed in the next build.

I don't know if it's related to the patch, but it's the first time ever that I ran into this glitch. While fighting the arena in chapter 5 with a Brave Sword, Dew somehow kept fighting even though his HP reached zero. This didn't happen with any other weapon.

Here's a video of it:

http://webmshare.com/play/VNKDv

Also included is my save file, load the fourth save slot and have Dew fight the current arena match with the Brave Sword and you should be able to reproduce the glitch. This happened while using the fourth beta.

Wow, that was certainly something. :)  I wonder if it's because of Dew's Sol skill and that the fight lasted so long. I remember reading reports that the game pre-rolls all of its random numbers before battle, and that it messes up the calculations somehow. But I'll give this save a look and see if I can figure out the secret to his immortality.

Lentfilms

• View Profile
Thanks for that. This report prompted me to run a scan on the dialogue blocks to see if any were missing tags that were in the Japanese version, and found a couple others as well. It turns out that the Prologue's village chats and DiMaggio's boss battle dialogue were also missing the tag to display text on the bottom of the screen, and I think some death dialogues got their portraits mixed up.

It'll be fixed in the next build.

You're welcome. And thank you, and the rest of the team, for putting in so much hard work into creating this patch! The new translation is great and I'm enjoying the game immensely. Thanks again and I'll let you know if I run into any other issues.

hanhnn

• View Profile

Why did you delete the Weapon Type text?
I don't think this is an improvement.

bookofholsety

• View Profile
a) every fe localisation ever has done this

b) what are we supposed to put in there that would actually fit and wouldn't be redundant?

hanhnn

• View Profile
a) every fe localisation ever has done this

b) what are we supposed to put in there that would actually fit and wouldn't be redundant?
You are so obsessed with the official localisation.
Fan translation is not official localisation's slave.

They should be Sword, Lance (or Spear), Axe, Bow, etc...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:24:14 am by hanhnn »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Just leave it like it is. It's not like you can't figure out what those icons mean.

bookofholsety

• View Profile
none of those words will fit in that space, abbreviations will look ugly, the icons are pretty clear and make the whole thing redundant, leaving the japanese text there would defeat the entire point of the patch. what else are we supposed to do?

and that jab about being "localisation's slave" is absolutely fucking uncalled for. believe it or not, people who are paid to do this officially actually have good ideas every once in a while!

Thegreathare21

• View Profile
Did not know that, I will delete comment.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:18:43 pm by Thegreathare21 »

bookofholsety

• View Profile
C) Learn how to patch and create your own. That way everything is the way you want.

hey, simmer down there. this is like the one guy for whom this isn't a relevant criticism. hanhnn here is the guy who did that vietnamese translation of fe4, and by all accounts, that was a pretty good patch

guidodi

• View Profile
THANKS for this, been waiting years to play a complete version of this game, one of my favourites. Thanks!!!

joesteve1914

• View Profile
    • Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love translation project
Would it be possible to shrink the rom down to 6 mb? I want to install it on my 3ds as a virtual console game, but the limit is 6 mb.
I tried to remove the zeros at the end of the file and it brought it down to about 6.5. I noticed there's a lot more zero's in the middle of the rom, but touching them would mess up the offsets in the rom.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
Would it be possible to shrink the rom down to 6 mb? I want to install it on my 3ds as a virtual console game, but the limit is 6 mb.
I tried to remove the zeros at the end of the file and it brought it down to about 6.5. I noticed there's a lot more zero's in the middle of the rom, but touching them would mess up the offsets in the rom.

I'll give it a look. Someone mentioned on one of the videos I posted that 7 MB was the limit to get it under to work on emulator consoles, but I wasn't aware of the 6 MB limit.

I was mostly just spacing things out to have it better organized. But there should be enough space between the text graphics and dialogue to squeeze it together under 6 MB.

Edit: Can you test out this patch file and tell me if it works with that emulator?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/047bdpvvl8yiv5t/project_naga_beta_5_6mb_test.zip

I had to move the names for classes, items, terrain, armies, castles, skills, and item descriptions up into an unused space. And then moved the dialogue up into the now-vacated space and updated all of the pointers. It seemed to still run fine from a quick glance, but I can't test it on that emulator.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 06:05:29 pm by ddstranslation »

joesteve1914

• View Profile
I'll give it a look. Someone mentioned on one of the videos I posted that 7 MB was the limit to get it under to work on emulator consoles, but I wasn't aware of the 6 MB limit.

I was mostly just spacing things out to have it better organized. But there should be enough space between the text graphics and dialogue to squeeze it together under 6 MB.

Edit: Can you test out this patch file and tell me if it works with that emulator?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/047bdpvvl8yiv5t/project_naga_beta_5_6mb_test.zip

I had to move the names for classes, items, terrain, armies, castles, skills, and item descriptions up into an unused space. And then moved the dialogue up into the now-vacated space and updated all of the pointers. It seemed to still run fine from a quick glance, but I can't test it on that emulator.

Unfortunately it still crashes to a black screen.
When I run it in snes9x, it still says 64 megabits, despite it actually being 48 megabits. Maybe that's the problem?

ddstranslation

• View Profile
Unfortunately it still crashes to a black screen.
When I run it in snes9x, it still says 64 megabits, despite it actually being 48 megabits. Maybe that's the problem?

The SNES internal header doesn't make a distinction for values between 32 mbits or 64 mbits. It's either a 0C or 0D as the byte value, no in-between value.

What emulator is this? And does that emulator play games like Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean? Snes9X also reports those as being 64 mbits though with a calculated size of 48 mbits.

joesteve1914

• View Profile
The SNES internal header doesn't make a distinction for values between 32 mbits or 64 mbits. It's either a 0C or 0D as the byte value, no in-between value.

What emulator is this? And does that emulator play games like Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean? Snes9X also reports those as being 64 mbits though with a calculated size of 48 mbits.
It's the official Nintendo emulator that is used to run snes games that you buy off the eshop. If you hack your 3ds you can run your own games in it.

It's widely known that Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean don't work with it. So I guess it's not possible for this to run in it :(

Oh well, I really appreciate the effort you put into it, and thanks for trying to help!

ddstranslation

• View Profile
It's the official Nintendo emulator that is used to run snes games that you buy off the eshop. If you hack your 3ds you can run your own games in it.

It's widely known that Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean don't work with it. So I guess it's not possible for this to run in it :(

Oh well, I really appreciate the effort you put into it, and thanks for trying to help!

That's weird that it would enforce a 6 MB limit though, if it wouldn't recognize games over 32 mbits.

I replaced the zip file in that link with a revised patch that just changes that header byte to 0C, to make it think it's 32 mbits instead. Didn't seem to phase Snes9X since it still ran the file and loaded content well past the 4 MB limit.

Could you try redownloading it and see if it works now?

joesteve1914

• View Profile
Nope, still doesn't work :(

<a href="http://www.freebiebitcoin.com">Earn free bitcoin</a>
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 10:46:14 pm by joesteve1914 »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
Nope, still doesn't work :(

Huh, well damn. :(  Unless it was the checksum, I can't think of anything else to try. I don't know how the Virtual Console is running. Maybe it just doesn't support any games over 4 MB.

I don't suppose it runs the fan translation of Dragon Quest 3, does it? That one expanded the size to 6 MB as well.

joesteve1914

• View Profile
Huh, well damn. :(  Unless it was the checksum, I can't think of anything else to try. I don't know how the Virtual Console is running. Maybe it just doesn't support any games over 4 MB.

I don't suppose it runs the fan translation of Dragon Quest 3, does it? That one expanded the size to 6 MB as well.
I'll check DQ3 tomorrow night, unfortunately won't have access to a PC until then.

I posted over on gbatemp form some help. They seem to be pretty knowledgeable, but from what they said it looks like its not possible.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/large-snes-roms-and-vc-injection.427656/

ddstranslation

• View Profile
I'll check DQ3 tomorrow night, unfortunately won't have access to a PC until then.

I posted over on gbatemp form some help. They seem to be pretty knowledgeable, but from what they said it looks like its not possible.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/large-snes-roms-and-vc-injection.427656/

It looks like they're saying you might have to use another emulator. :(

I don't know if it's related to the patch, but it's the first time ever that I ran into this glitch. While fighting the arena in chapter 5 with a Brave Sword, Dew somehow kept fighting even though his HP reached zero. This didn't happen with any other weapon.

Here's a video of it:

http://webmshare.com/play/VNKDv

Also included is my save file, load the fourth save slot and have Dew fight the current arena match with the Brave Sword and you should be able to reproduce the glitch. This happened while using the fourth beta.

I spent today looking into this issue, and I think I see what's happening.

The game copies Dew's HP and stats to a separate area of RAM for visual calculation. But whenever he takes a hit or heals himself with Sol, it's also trying to keep his original HP up to date. The problem happens when Sol procs on a Brave sword hit. Sol is only healing for the first hit in the arena, but the game thinks it should be healing him twice and updating his original HP.

So when he takes his first hit, he goes from 41 HP to 19 HP. Then on his next turn, he activates Sol and heals himself for 5 HP, going up to 24 HP. But the game thinks he should heal twice, and updated his original HP to 29. This continues until the "deathblow", where the arena visuals show him at 12 HP, but the game thinks he has 27 HP. So Nazarre's last hit deals 22 HP of damage, making it appear that he should die. But the game actually says Dew has 5 HP left now.

TLDR: Sol and Brave swords break the arena. I can fix it so the two HP values stay consistent.